Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: God nonmainstream Anime?

Originally posted by Aeni View Post
    Why? I personally never heard of this series, but then again, there's a lot of anime that I never watched during the time they aired during my days playing FFXI/WoW. That's probably more sad ... in many ways.
    It's basically Evangelion but even more depressing. Actually that doesn't go far enough. It makes End of Evangelion look like My Little Pony.
    Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
    Reiko Takahashi
    - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
    Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

It's miles better than Evangelion could ever hope to be. On the other hand, that's not saying much because Evangelion was a bunch of overhyped pretentious bullshit.
      Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
      Name: Drjones
      Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Originally posted by cidbahamut View Post
        It's miles better than Evangelion could ever hope to be. On the other hand, that's not saying much because Evangelion was a bunch of overhyped pretentious bullshit.
        It's very commercialized now, that's for sure. I think they're taking a page out of George Lucas handbook (how to make money out of your projects and not give a damn about it)

Comment

Evangelion has always been shit, so I don't see how its commercialization in more recent years is relevant.

Comment

A lot of it was incoherent and the original ending was an ass-pull, but I think Evangelion deserves some respect for its more realistic take on mechas. I appreciated the fact that being a pilot wasn't all sunshine and rainbows and that they needed to be tethered to the entire city's power grid just to run at all.

It just suffers from the same problem as FFVII; its goodness has been seriously blown out of proportion.

Comment

That and it was pretentious as fuck. It's not entirely without merit, but there's so many shows out there that are way better but don't get any credit.

Case in point: Bokurano.

Comment

Rebuild of Evangelion was far better than the original series and does how how much better Eva would have been if:
                1. They had an actual budget
                2. The writer wasn't suicidally depressed for the first half then in therapy for the second half so it does from just dark to "Here's all of my issues for everyone to see!"
                3. Studio Gainax weren't betting on a flop (They made the show intentionally shit so the whole thing can be written off for tax reasons).

Also I don't get where the pretentious thing comes from. Sure the fans can be pretty pretentious but this is animation fans we're talking about. I found the vast majority of the original series pretty fucking creepy. I think Kaiji was the only character that didn't want me to make them punch them (Shinji, Asuka, Shinji's random classmates, the people on the bridge) or creep the fuck out of me (everyone else in the fucking series). He was a pretty cool guy and I was sad that he only got one scene in Rebuild.

Also Shinji's an idiot. His dad basically set him up to pilot a huge mecha and he lived his life surrounded by girls, two of which are practically throwing themselves at him, and he keeps running of and calling him the worst father ever. Okay sure he might be following the "Don't stick it in the crazy" rule with the other girls but still...
                Last edited by Firewind; 05-16-2013, 09:18 AM.
                Reiko Takahashi
                Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Originally posted by Firewind View Post
                  Also I don't get where the pretentious thing comes from.
                  It tries to present itself as deep and meaningful when really it's just full of itself.

Look up Sage's review of the show sometime. It does a decent job of outlining some of the reasons why Evangelion is a bad show.

I really do think Bokurano tackles some of the same issues but does a way better job of both examining them and incorporating it into a compelling narrative. By the end of Bokurano I was invested in the characters. In Eva I just wanted the penguin to be ok. NGE was just 20+ episodes of constant whining.

Comment

Also Shinji's an idiot. His dad basically set him up to pilot a huge mecha and he lived his life surrounded by girls, two of which are practically throwing themselves at him, and he keeps running of and calling him the worst father ever. Okay sure he might be following the "Don't stick it in the crazy" rule with the other girls but still...
                    Shinji really needed to get over his funk, and it too him way too long to do so, but I don't fault him for not getting laid because the one time he actually starts doing well, Asuka hates his guts because of her superiority complex. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Comment

It tries to present itself as deep and meaningful when really it's just full of itself.

Look up Sage's review of the show sometime. It does a decent job of outlining some of the reasons why Evangelion is a bad show.

I really do think Bokurano tackles some of the same issues but does a way better job of both examining them and incorporating it into a compelling narrative. By the end of Bokurano I was invested in the characters. In Eva I just wanted the penguin to be ok. NGE was just 20+ episodes of constant whining.
                      I do argue that a lot of that is due to the fans. A lot of people read way too deeply into it and a lot to do with the show became pretentious when it was really just only intended to deconstruct the mecha genre. Remember that a lot of the weirdness is down to Gainax intentionally making it that way because they wanted to the show to flop. So they put a mentally ill writer and director in charge of it and just said yes to whatever insanity the guy in his current state of mind could come up with.

Remember you cannot possibly account for the stupidity of people or how they will react.

Funnily enough a TVTrope entry is suitable here:

Neon Genesis Evangelion has gotten this treatment, of all places, in an economics essay http://members.efn.org/~dredmond/VC6.PDF.
                      Eva's connection with this trope was even referenced in FLCL, where one of the characters is said to have "written a long book on the deep mysteries of Eva."
                      The Eva-effect reaches to the rest of the Super Robot genre. Any Super Robot show made after 1997 is either considered some sort of Reconstruction of the Super Robot genre, a Take That to Eva, a parody of classic Super Robot shows...or all of the above.
                      Source: What Do You Mean, It's Not Didactic? - Television Tropes & Idioms

There is also this which may also have contributed to it: Shrug of God - Television Tropes & Idioms
                      Reiko Takahashi
                      Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

It's the fanbois and not GAINAX themselves. I don't think the studio ever came off as saying that this work was, "the Holy Bible of anime".

Comment

I picked up Shadow Skill again. It's about as cool as I remember it being, which is to say pretty damn entertaining despite its flaws. They just don't make 'em like this anymore.

Comment

Five months late to this EVA conversation
                            Originally posted by Aeni View Post
                            It's the fanbois and not GAINAX themselves. I don't think the studio ever came off as saying that this work was, "the Holy Bible of anime".
                            Quite the opposite actually

lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Not just late to the party, but you're beating on the horse's carcass.

Comment

Am I the only one that prefers Rebuild 1, 2 and 3 purely because they actually have an animation budget, and we no longer have to deal with the shitty 90's style of animation where entire series were clearly made on the budget for one episode and nobody has heard of light, shadows or shading ever?
                                Reiko Takahashi
                                Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Working...
                                X