• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temporary FFXI & FFXIV Server Shutdown

FINAL FANTASY XI Official Web Site

Mar. 12, 2011 22:00 [PST] From: PlayOnline

Important Announcement Regarding the Recent Events in Japan

To the SQUARE ENIX community:

As you know, Japan has been hit with a terrible disaster this week. We have received and greatly appreciate all the kind words of concern from our fans and players.

As a result of the earthquake, we temporarily may have to shut down the servers hosting FINAL FANTASY XI and FINAL FANTASY XIV.

We are now analyzing the situation and studying very hard what we can do to fulfill our social responsibilities under the unusual circumstances, and to mitigate the inconvenience to our players. According to our best estimate at this point, we will temporarily have to shut down the servers shortly. We will give you as much advance notice as possible under the rapidly changing circumstances. If the servers are shut down, we will try to provide updates in the Information section of our Official Website below.

FINAL FANTASY XIV , The Lodestone: http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/
    FINAL FANTASY XI Official Website: PlayOnline.com

We sincerely apologize and appreciate your understanding.

Sincerely,
    SQUARE ENIX
    Originally posted by Feba
    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
    Originally posted by DakAttack
    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Re: Possible Temporary FFXI & FFXIV Server Shutdown

Just saw this flash in-game and the LS and I were all like "oh shit this is gonna suck".

---------- Post added at 03:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 AM ----------

Also: go go speculation about the tsunami damage being used as an excuse to covertly axe FFXI.
    Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
    Name: Drjones
    Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Originally posted by cidbahamut View Post
      Also: go go speculation about the tsunami damage being used as an excuse to covertly axe FFXI.
      Let's be honest, only an idiot would speculate that.

Comment

Originally posted by cidbahamut View Post
        Just saw this flash in-game and the LS and I were all like "oh shit this is gonna suck".
        You think that sucks

Comment

So Japan had a nuclear power plant break because of the quake, when it was scheduled to be shut down in two weeks anyhow.

And now SE may have to shut down servers that they just moved less than a week ago because of the quake.

This quake has some awesomely sucky timing, it would seem.

---------- Post added at 04:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 AM ----------

Just saw this bluetext:
          ----== SystemMessage ==----
          Due to the earthquake that occurred in the north east coastal regions of Japan on March 10, 2011,
          the power companies in Japan have encouraged everyone
          to cooperate by conserving as much energy as posible as it is feared there will not be enough energy available.
          Based on the current situation, we have decided to temporarily suspend the PlayOnline service
          starting from March 13, 2011 at 2:00 a.m. (PST) / at 10:00 (GMT).
          Please be sure to log out of playOnline before March 13, 2011 at 2:00 a.m. (PST) / at 10:00 (GMT).
          See the Information section for more details.
          That's half an hour from now.

No end time specified, but people are reporting the web site says it could be for a week.

(flute music) TO THE CLOUD!
          Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
          99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
          F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
          >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

They're down for at least a week:
            Mar. 13, 2011 00:00 [PST] From: PlayOnline
            Temporary Suspension of the Services Due to an Earthquake

Due to the continuous earthquakes occurring in the eastern regions of Japan since Mar. 11, 2011, the power companies in Japan have encouraged everyone to cooperate by conserving as much energy as possible as it is feared there will not be enough power supply. Based on the current situation, we have decided to shut down the game servers temporarily, and therefore to suspend services of FINAL FANTASY XIV, FINAL FANTASY XI, and PlayOnline temporarily.

The services will be temporarily suspended for at least a week starting on Mar. 13, 2011 3:00 (PDT). We will provide an update regarding the reinstatement of the service as additional information becomes available. In connection with the temporary suspension of services, players will not be billed for any PlayOnline service throughout the April billing cycle. Additional information regarding this matter will also be posted as it becomes available.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and thank you for your understanding of this unusual situations.

[Date & Time]
            A week starting from Mar. 13, 2011 3:00 (PDT)

[Affected Service]
            - FINAL FANTASY XIV
            - FINAL FANTASY XI
            - PlayOnline

* Additionally, the following services are currently unavailable:

- Friend List Plus
            - FINAL FANTASY XI Linkshell Community Beta Version
            - PlayOnline Friend List Application
            - Community Site Link Registration: Owner Menu

* Please be advised that we will continue to operate the official websites, FINAL FANTASY XIV Lodestone, forums, and the SQUARE ENIX Support Center to be able provide our customers with updates on the current situation.
            ????
            ????
            [Reference]
            An excerpt from the Caution posted on
            TOKYO ELECTRIC POWER COMPANY (TEPCO)’s home page:

A big earthquake occurred in the northern part of Japan at 2:46PM of March 11th 2011. Because TEPCO's facilities have been seriously damaged, power shortage may occur.
            TEPCO appreciates customers' cooperation in reducing electricity usage by avoiding using unnecessary lighting and electrical equipment.
            We are taking all measures to restore power, however, we expect extremely challenging situation in power supply for a while. We kindly ask our customers to cooperate with us in reducing usage of power.

FINAL FANTASY XI Official Web Site

WHM99 - RDM99 - WAR99 - BRD99 - MNK99 - BLM99 - DNC99 - SCH 99 - BST 99
            WorldSlayers ~ Asura http://sillygalka.blogspot.com

Comment

It's a shame, but if it will help people survive the devastation over there it's worth it.

Which FF Character Are You?

Comment

I'll say this. As much as I was looking forward to playing today... tomorrow and all this week, I completely support SE's decision to close down the servers for the week. There are always important choices to be made when a disaster strikes and it's not always clear which one is the right one. SE may have made some decisions that we didn't necessarily agree with in the past... game related or otherwise... but this choice was the right one. This choice goes to benefit the greater good and help those who were affected far worse.

To those of you out there who are on the verge of raging out over the servers being down... I urge you to calm and compose yourself. Go see a movie... get some fresh air spend time with your families. You never know when something equally horrible could happen to us.

It's unfortunate that only in the wake of a disaster, do most people take the time to figure out what is most important to them.

Think of it this way guys... It's a minor inconvenience for us to not be able to play... but think of all the RMT's who are freaking the fuck out... as we speak.

Pray for them.

Also: Their condemned souls.

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
                99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
                99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Comment

I just wish I hadn't started liking the game again the night before it went off line. <_<;

So it's either Oblivion (watched too many Skyrim trailers I'm afraid), Fallout 3 or Mafia II for me today.

Any other suggestions?
                  sigpic
                  "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                  Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Re: Possible Temporary FFXI &amp; FFXIV Server Shutdown

Originally posted by Raydeus View Post
                    I just wish I hadn't started liking the game again the night before it went off line. <_<;

So it's either Oblivion (watched too many Skyrim trailers I'm afraid), Fallout 3 or Mafia II for me today.

Any other suggestions?
                    Fresh air?

Comment

Originally posted by Yygdrasil View Post
                      Fresh air?

Good one!

But seriously now, any other suggestions?
                      sigpic
                      "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                      Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by Raydeus View Post

Good one!

But seriously now, any other suggestions?
                        My vote goes for Oblivion. I'm re-installing it while I type this actually, lol. As for having just come back.... look at it this way man... we got a lot of members in last night and we had fun partying in Qufim Island. It may have been a short-lived return but you had a good time, right? Next week or so when the servers come back online, we'll find some activities to do to make up for lost time.

Also: SE is making the April billing cycle free, so you picked... I'm not going to say "a lucky" month to come back... but more of one that turned out to be... "tragically well timed".

Comment

One week is too long bring back FFXI NOW

This post on the official forums made my physically sick and ashamed to be associated with the Final Fantasy fanbase.

Sometimes I just want to strangle the vast bulk of the internet...
                          Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
                          Reiko Takahashi
                          - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
                          Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Posted this in another thread, but I think this could very well kill FFXIV. People log off for a week and they may lose their desire to play entirely. The already dwindling numbers plus the lack of profit at all for that game could very well end it.

Not sure how the numbers are looking for the game right now, but with its poor launch, its current F2P state, and now a forced week (or more) off for circumstances beyond anyone's control, I wouldn't be terribly shocked if it happened. Though one could argue XIV has been dying since it launched, this could be the final straw.

We'll see. It would suck, but SE is losing a crapload of money right now, especially with an upcoming free month of FFXI. I wouldn't be all that shocked if they pulled it and said, "Screw it."
                            sigpic
                            ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                            ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                            ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                            ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

If it can help the people in japan recovering, then I'm all for it. They need to priorize where the energy need to go and I think it's a good move from SE. I wanted to play badly since I just got back, but I do understand that a game isn't a priority and even less in a catastrophic event like this.

The only worry I have, where are SE's backup servers to avoid shutting down their services ? I wonder, I'm not a computer science pro.

Oh well, I guess I'll finish my dragon age: origins warrior and my studies / family life will keep me busy during the week.

My prayers are with the japanese people.
                              "Le sacrifice de soi peut-être une source de joie, s’assurer du bien d’autrui c’est aussi faire sien leur bonheur."
                              Asharin, DIV Linkshell member. Returning or new player ? join us on Valefor !
                              # Working on a signature image ! #

Comment

Working...
                              X