Temporary FFXI & FFXIV Server Shutdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Temporary FFXI & FFXIV Server Shutdown

Games are just games. They don't feed you, hydrate you, keep you warm at near freezing temperatures.

@Aks

Many Japanese corporations there with 1,000x more money on the line are also affected by this. Honda and Nissan are suspending operations because they don't have the necessary parts (that were manufactured in the areas hit by the tsunami) to continue with production. I must imagine many power drain companies like semiconductors (memory, processors) are also affected.

Just think about the prices shooting up around the world ... mostly due to human greed.

Comment

Of course. I'm just honestly wondering if, with the way SE has been struggling lately, FFXIV is even going to survive this. Unfortunate, but possible. We'll see though.

If that's what post you were referring to, anyway. It's definitely going to affect a lot of us, some in more ways than others.
      sigpic
      ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
      ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
      ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
      ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Aksannyi View Post
        Of course. I'm just honestly wondering if, with the way SE has been struggling lately, FFXIV is even going to survive this. Unfortunate, but possible. We'll see though.
        You have to understand that this isn't anything to do with FFXIV. By the same logic, what about FFXIII-2? Other projects in development still? They're gonna bleed, no doubt, but it's presumptuous to assume that getting rid of one or two projects will help them in the long run. I brought up the auto companies because it's the same thing. They won't just go out and shut down factories left and right because of this.

Comment

I'm not saying they're going to shut it down specifically because of this. But you have to realize that after an extended period of people not being able to log on, by the time they're able to log on again, how many are going to still be interested? Gamers can be very fickle. It was about two weeks after I quit FFXI cold turkey that I stopped actually wanting to log in at all. People will find other things to do, and those other things may or may not translate into people wanting to come back to the game.

I think FFXI will be in much better shape because it's got longevity behind it and a much more loyal playerbase. Currently, though, I've heard a lot of XIV players say that the only reason they still play is because it's free. How many of those players are going to care that it's gone? Care enough to come back? What percentage of them, after one week, will realize they don't really miss it all that much and decide to stop playing? Aren't the players what makes an MMO?

If they start the servers up and hardly anyone even bothers to log on, what makes you think they'll keep the servers up? I'm not saying this will happen, but there is every possibility that it could. I'm not saying that SE losing money over the game is enough reason to pull the plug. If that were the case, I think they may well have done that already. But if they lose players? A lot of them? They could.

We'll have to see how it plays out. But I wouldn't be surprised if the limited (as it is) playerbase of XIV dwindles even further over this. It's unfortunate that this happened in so many ways here, of course because of the devastation and death, but SE probably knows how much they're on thin ice with XIV right now. The clock was already kind of ticking on that game.

Single player games that are in development are not the same. They delay them a few weeks or months? They'll still fly off the shelves. And those don't require a plethora of servers to maintain and constant updates/tweaks to keep them fresh. For the most part, they're a one-time deal. But an MMO? It's another animal. An already struggling game could be essentially wiped out because of just a week (possibly longer) of dead time.

Time will tell. I'm just saying it is possible that something of that nature could happen. XIV wasn't exactly doing well, that's no secret. Will they even see it as a worthwhile investment to fix and rerelease it if no one is going to bother playing it? That's something I can't answer. But I wouldn't be surprised if this is a huge detriment to that game rebounding, or even staying alive at all.
          sigpic

Comment

Well atleast we have other thigns to do while the servers are down. This sucked for me, because I just got back into FFXI, and now I cant play lol -.- but I understand and agree with SE's decision, and I hope everyone over there can get back to normal soon.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

I don't see why people are so surprised at this reaction. Its like this every time. Honestly, my first thought after seeing the magnitude of the quake was 'I wonder which loudmouth religious leader is going to blame this on the gays or some such.' People by and large are self entitled jackasses. The world revolves around them and they will never understand why they need to be put out over something that didn't affect them.

<troll mode on>
              Nature was just irritated with SE's half assed release of XIV and wanted to show them how to do a disaster right.
              </troll mode off>
              I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Re: Temporary FFXI &amp; FFXIV Server Shutdown

Definitely sucks that I just got into it and this happened, but you know, if listing problems in orders of degrees, this is WAY below what people in Japan (or hell, other people of the world that aren't in my pretty comfortable situation) are dealing with.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeni View Post
                  keep you warm at near freezing temperatures.
                  To be fair, neither does anything else in this bloody country. Fuckers hate the concept of heating.

no, but most people use gas heaters I think; the whole 'energy conservation' thing isn't making much impact on me since the only electricity I really use is for charging portables and running my laptop; everything else is gas.

On the economy, I wouldn't worry too much. Economists are figuring on a short term drop off in production in the immediate aftermath, followed by an increase to levels above where we were before the quake as people start to rebuild. A few companies will tank, no doubt, but overall it'll be mostly good.

Comment

It appears the cuts many bussinesses and people are doing are actually working. Just now I'm seeing a press conference (it's supposed to be live but you never know) where a TEPCO official is saying electric demand has no been as severe as expected, which could help reduce the scheduled rotating power cuts.
                    sigpic
                    "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                    Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by Aksannyi View Post
                      I'm not saying they're going to shut it down specifically because of this. But you have to realize that after an extended period of people not being able to log on, by the time they're able to log on again, how many are going to still be interested? Gamers can be very fickle. It was about two weeks after I quit FFXI cold turkey that I stopped actually wanting to log in at all. People will find other things to do, and those other things may or may not translate into people wanting to come back to the game.
                      tl;dr: momentum

If momentum is what is keeping most of the remaining FFXIV players coming back, being offline for a whole week could be enough to lose that momentum. If it lasts longer, even more so.
                      Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
                      99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
                      F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
                      >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

That's it in a nutshell. Thanks.
                        sigpic

Comment

I don't think they're stupid enough not to hold an event when they bring the servers back up. This could even be the advent of a completely new event, one that celebrates the fan's unwavering support of the game. I know I'm exaggerating, but this is how the bards will sing of it.

Comment

Is it just me, or does it seem like since j9 started posting less, everyone else's optimism has gone up slightly to compensate?
                            lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Mew! That's not true!!!!!!!!!!
                              sigpic

Comment

sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X