Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Job Adjustments and Additions Part II (07/09/2009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Job Adjustments and Additions Part II (07/09/2009)

Soloing you spend more shihei/ninjutsu tools per xp point than in a party though.

But you wouldn't hear me complaining about 500g stacks of shihei, that's for sure.
    sigpic
    "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
    Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by Takelli View Post
      I played ninja until 34, and it made me broke as hell, even with crafting my own Shihei.
      Meh. I was able to take it to 37 with hardly using shihei. I know because when I was done I had like 10 Ninjutsu skill. All that meant was that I was practically guaranteed to get an Utsu cast interrupted, which probably would have been the same situation when fighting something level 40+ as /NIN anyhow.

Recently I got it up to 59 (out of 114) by spamming a mini-wheel of some tools that I made for crafting skillups. And I still have 10-14 bags each left of three tools. It cost me maybe 50-80k in materials, and I counted all that as the cost of crafting skillups.

If you want to be cheap about it, you can find a way to be cheap.
      Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
      99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
      F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
      >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

Cheap ninjas shouldn't really bother playing. You just tarnish the reputation of the people who levelled the job properly and worked hard to do a good job in parties.

As for all the qq'ing about S-E not trying, I guess people must be imbued with some psychic powers that enable them to see the full content of the upcoming update. I'm still not ruling out the possibility of another Sky/Sea type zone set in WotG. Even without that there's still more than enough left in the game to do seven days a week although I can understand people's hesitation to invest significant time in the game with the announcement of FFXIV's 2010 release.

Comment

I standby my statement.

The game's 8 years old and THF's best abilities are still usable by SJ, SMN still doesn't allow practical use of keeping avatars out to DD, PLD & BLM get the shaft for end game EXP, the list of grievances just goes on...

My point is that it's probably just not worth it for SE to try and fix every little problem when the big new shiny is due out soon. That's not to say they won't still improve on XI, but they're pretty much beating a dead horse here IMO. I've had my fun with the game and will continue to enjoy it until 14 is out but I can't say I will miss all of XI's bullshit.
          sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
            I standby my statement.

The game's 8 years old and THF's best abilities are still usable by SJ, SMN still doesn't allow practical use of keeping avatars out to DD, PLD & BLM get the shaft for end game EXP, the list of grievances just goes on...

My point is that it's probably just not worth it for SE to try and fix every little problem when the big new shiny is due out soon. That's not to say they won't still improve on XI, but they're pretty much beating a dead horse here IMO. I've had my fun with the game and will continue to enjoy it until 14 is out but I can't say I will miss all of XI's bullshit.

at this rate, SMNs will probably not get a new Avatar.

and if they do it'll only be 1, and it will probably still not help SMNs go up in the endgame Job tiers.

Comment

I standby my statement.
              Not really surprised. Enjoy being wrong, again.

Maybe SMN and THF don't change because SE doesn't agree with your vision of those jobs. Maybe its just your concept of those jobs isn't terribly balanced. Kind of a recurring theme when it comes to your posts, no expectation is ever realistic.

As to PLDs and BLMs not getting meritting, cry me a fucking river on the BLM side. They get merits like crazy in manaburns. Not at the rate of melee PTs, but I think the level of seals and loot they get from soloing in the meantime kinda balances it out.

You know, because its not like other jobs don't solo because they'1e expected to or get the shaft at endgame.

As for PLDs, here's a thought, rather than conforming - STICK UP FOR YOUR PALADINS. Take the initiative to merit with them in your endgame shell. Be a part of the team. Its really not that hard, you have a BRD right? PLD's merit situation is not a job design problem, its a community problem. SE cannot fix the community, only attempt to influence its behavior.

I did that shit all the time for my endgame linkshells, if anything, BLMs and PLDs topped my list for attention as a sack

If you can't get a PT as a PLD, go cap in Campaign. Don't give me that crap about it not being worth it, its better than bemoaning your situation on forums. Or you could build a PT with friends and maintain a backbone and not switch to another job when they don't want your PLD. They could be willing to work with you on the PLD thing, people just tend to be full of surprises like that.

FFXIV has nothing to do with FFXI in terms of updates. The "FFXI Development Team" isn't exactly one team. Its not like they stop working on one and focus on the other. They have three months in between updates, I'd hope they have time to do other things and do work on both in tandem.

Oh, and you won't miss all of FFXI's "bullshit" but you actively are working towards a Maat's cap and still do endgame? C'mon, man, let's not totally contradict ourselves here.

Comment

Maybe I should give the offline FF games another try, but does the Summoner always have an avatar out in the non-MMO FF games? I just don't see what's so bad about the design of trading MP for avatar time, especially with the number of perpetuation cost down gear available now.

PLD/DNC recapping exp is really easy with Campaign Battle--I'm a PLD, and I'm never concerned about losing exp in events. Oh, my last two merit parties had with PLDs in them, and I was on BRD.

Manaburn BLM parties can do pretty darn well on Aerns (they RR up, so you can kill again!) and can solo Flans, so BLMs aren't exactly shut out. Heck, I've seen them activating exp bands while farming for Despot for a bit of buffer and limit points.

TH2+ is still THF only, and THF75's ability to evasion tank in low-man situations is still darn useful. (Maybe it's a bit eclipsed by NIN/DNC now...) And, while you may not appreciate Collaborator and Accomplice, the BLMs in my LS sure do.

How come you don't complain /SAM gives Hasso, Seigan, Third Eye, and Meditate? Those are pretty good abilities, too.
                Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Maybe I should give the offline FF games another try, but does the Summoner always have an avatar out in the non-MMO FF games? I just don't see what's so bad about the design of trading MP for avatar time, especially with the number of perpetuation cost down gear available now.
                  The only game I can think of where they can do that is X. But to be honest, later in the game, they're good for nothing but their ultimate abilities anyway and taking damage in place of the party, since they will die from 1 or 1 1/2 round of attacks from a typical random encounter.

Actually, in most FF games, SMN typically calls their summons for (very much MP intensive) attacks, but spend most battles using their secondary abiltiies (White Magic or Black Magic, for example)

Maybe what has to happen is boosting SMN's abilities to use their secondary subjob abilities, which did happen somewhat in the form of /SCH. I partied with one on my SCH and, while it's not exactly the way they like to see their job, the SMN effectively covered a lot the gaps in my performance as a main healer, such as AoE Haste and damage here and there. I don't care about their (or BLMs for that matter) meriting situation, but it is a bit strange to me that I hear endgame LSs are starting to take less interest in inviting SMNs.
                  sigpic

Comment

You only need one thf in an alliances with th2+..... and evasion tank have not seen it in maybe 2 years. as for blm let me get 22.2k exp and hour and watch not complain.
                    sigpicSolidous! from Laksmi
                    CoP: O ZM:O Sandy: 9-1 ToAU:29 WoTG: 15 ACP:O AMK: O
                    BLM:95 THF:95 DRK:95 RNG:82
                    RDM:95 WHM:95 WAR:60 Nin:92
                    SAM:50 BLU:95 DNC:49
                    PUP:32 PLD:15 DRG:10
                    MNK:22 SCH:6 COR:28

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzlebeard View Post
                      Cheap ninjas shouldn't really bother playing. You just tarnish the reputation of the people who levelled the job properly and worked hard to do a good job in parties.
                      Cheap was me solo grinding to 37. There's no point in wasting shihei if you're just FoVving EP and DC. Shihei are about blocking heavy hits and nasty spells like sleep, not baby scratches.

When I /NIN it's usually about the shihei. But then I only have WHM and BLM as 75, so it's not like I'm planning to main tank or anything like that.
                      Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
                      99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
                      F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
                      >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

Sweet, next update on the 20th.

People whom I have thanked, plus some others, have pretty much said what I'd say. Except that any endgame LS worth their salt IMO should be helping people to recap exp if it is that much of an issue.

As for why I still play, seeing as how it was brought up, it's simple. I still have fun in FFXI, and the MMORPG has yet to be made that I would find more attractive.

So either until I make my own MMORPG, one I find more attractive comes out, or I lose interest in FFXI, I'll still be playing.

Also, there was a list of mobs who Blue Mages haven't learned anything from yet, but I don't know where it is. I at least know that fomor, gnats, and pixies currently don't have any learnable moves.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                          If you can't get a PT as a PLD, go cap in Campaign. Don't give me that crap about it not being worth it, its better than bemoaning your situation on forums. Or you could build a PT with friends and maintain a backbone and not switch to another job when they don't want your PLD. They could be willing to work with you on the PLD thing, people just tend to be full of surprises like that.
                          Or better yet... Make your own party if you can't find one. Try to change the community your self, and with a few friends. I have a few friends as Plds that can't merrit because people wont really help them when they want to merrit, but they don't complain, they just go to campaign battles, even besieged a few times. Even if they want to cap out exp. Or, you can even level sync down to Colibri, and max out your exp there. Theres ao many things you can do as pld if you don't want to do one thing, just do another. Just don't complain about it on the forums.

Thats what the pet peeve thread is for

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                            Oh, and you won't miss all of FFXI's "bullshit" but you actively are working towards a Maat's cap and still do endgame? C'mon, man, let's not totally contradict ourselves here.
                            Where's the contradiction? I'm playing each job for fun and the cap is just a personal goal I set for myself to complete before 14 is out. I enjoy each and every job (except BRD...) in my own way.

I'm doing Dyna still largely just to finish off my Relic Sets and be done with it. Limbus is tolerable since we only go in for an hour, hour and a half. I don't do any of the hardcore, hours upon hours grinding crap like sky anymore. Hell I don't even pay that much attention in Dynamis anymore we have so many people at every run it makes little difference.

Yes I'm aware the two games will have separate teams and funding, but that doesn't mean it will be equal. SE knows damn well FFXI is dieing, and at this point it's akin to tossing someone a life preserver in the middle of the Atlanic; It will help the person stay afloat for a while but eventually said person will likely die before reaching land. That's my opinion, right or wrong I don't care that's just how I view things now.

Does any of this speculation matter worth a fuck anyway? I'm made up my mind to just enjoy the game as much as I can until 14 is out then put it behind me.
                            sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Vyuru View Post
                              pixies currently don't have any learnable moves.
                              And for the love of all things good I hope they never do.
                              Originally posted by Armando
                              No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                              Originally posted by Armando
                              Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                              Originally posted by Taskmage
                              GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                              Originally posted by Taskmage
                              However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                              Matthew 16:15

Comment

Regardless of BLU abilities added or not, SE should make it so when someone attacked a Pixie they automatically became targetable for PvP
                                (And showed on the radar the same way CHF mobs do.) And the Pixies became Cure-able.
                                sigpic
                                "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                                Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Working...
                                X