Building Computer-A nerds rise to greatness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Computer-A nerds rise to greatness

I have made a computer list of parts so i would like the super computer nerds to critique my build and try to find out if there is anything wrong about my build. I was doing a lot of in-depth study and I am almost 87% sure that all the parts match up with each other.

Wish List. Recommended Price
    Intel® Core™ i7-3820 Processor $294 - $305
    Intel LGA2011 X79 DDR3 SATA3 USB3.0 Sli $279.99
    Intel 320 Series 120 GB SATA 3.0 Gb-s $175.58
    AMD Radeonâ„¢ HD 6850 Graphics $130.00
    Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 Power supply $90
    Vengeance® Low Profile 16GB Quad Channel DDR3 Memory Kit $170.00
    Windows 7 Home Premium OS $200
    Mid Tower Case (Prioritize Airflow) $30-120
    Computer Fans (Case Dependent) $10-50
    Mouse $10
    Keyboard $25
    Planar PL2410W 24" Black Widescreen LCD Monitor $160
    MSI DH-18D4P 18x DvdRom Drive $20
    Logitech Z 506 5.1-CH PC multimedia home theater $60
    TP-LINK TL-WN951N 300Mbps Wireless N PCI Adapter $30

Re: Building Computer-A nerds rise to greatness

I would go for a 27" or 30" LED monitor, the LED is better than the LCD for resolution, don't fall for the 3D gimics though. if you can afford it I'd go with the geforce GTX 590 as its a better card and the fastest you can buy at the moment, just consumes more power and takes up 2 slots, you may want to get a 1KW power supply for the pc.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingofsquirrelz View Post
      I have made a computer list of parts so i would like the super computer nerds to critique my build and try to find out if there is anything wrong about my build. I was doing a lot of in-depth study and I am almost 87% sure that all the parts match up with each other.

Wish List. Recommended Price
      Intel® Core™ i7-3820 Processor $294 - $305
      Intel LGA2011 X79 DDR3 SATA3 USB3.0 Sli $279.99
      Intel 320 Series 120 GB SATA 3.0 Gb-s $175.58
      AMD Radeonâ„¢ HD 6850 Graphics $130.00
      Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 Power supply $90
      Vengeance® Low Profile 16GB Quad Channel DDR3 Memory Kit $170.00
      Windows 7 Home Premium OS $200
      Mid Tower Case (Prioritize Airflow) $30-120
      Computer Fans (Case Dependent) $10-50
      Mouse $10
      Keyboard $25
      Planar PL2410W 24" Black Widescreen LCD Monitor $160
      MSI DH-18D4P 18x DvdRom Drive $20
      Logitech Z 506 5.1-CH PC multimedia home theater $60
      TP-LINK TL-WN951N 300Mbps Wireless N PCI Adapter $30
      My personal preference is to drop that 3820 to an it 2500k and use the extra money to get a stronger GPU. Unless you really need that CPU for other things--work, school, etc....it seems like a huge overkill for the game (or any game). Whereas most MMO's rely on sheer CPU powers (WoW, Rift, SWTOR) because of the current engine...FFXIV relies heavily on GPU. I won't say that isn't changing come 2.0--but honestly I don't have my crystal ball and I couldn't tell you what to prepare for. For what it's worth, an i5 2500k overclocked to 4.0GHZ or so will likely be more than you'll ever need for the current gen of PC games.

I don't know...I feel like your 3820 is a bit overkill; if I could go back...I probably would have dropped my 2600k (which, I also think is overpowered) and gotten a second SSD or a better gaming case.

Comment

I'd go with Hayde's advice because he's right, the CPU you listed is stupidly overpowered for everything short of processing high end applications (i.e., if you are a graphics artist/3D developer, programmer) or odd-ball number crunching applications related to the defense industry or scientific/laboratory work (i.e., high end particle physics)

A 2500K is more than enough for everyone, maybe even 99% of the population, considering most gamers don't even do anything with their expensive rig that amounts to more than just playing Angry Birds on FB and trying to cyber with trannies online.

(yes, that was a cheap shot, but I don't care)

Anyway, go with a good GPU and make sure you have a quality power supply. Spend money wisely, don't spend it on things that have fancy bells and whistles and you end up not even using it more than once or twice in a year, if at that.

Comment

I know that it is stupidly over powered but I have a teacher who can get me the I7 Core for 135$ because I am a student with job corps I just do not know if it worth it or not because that processor is highly recommended for that motherboard. I will look into upgrading the GPU but I do not know it I can get a discount on GPUs.

Comment

If you are getting it for $135, then go for it because that's a great deal. The retail price for the 3820 is roughly in the $320-350 range which is completely unneeded; my suggestions for GPU typically lies in the 6950/6970/560ti/570 range if you looking for that 'over average' performance and if you can afford it, go for it the 580/7950/7970--I have some reservations about the 590, I'm not saying it's a bad card...but at its price range I see the 7970 as a better buy unless you are specifically an NVidia fan. That being said, the Kepler series is "supposed" to launch within the next 2-3 months so I'm betting on a new NVidia card that's going to surpass both the 590 and 7970 there.

You didn't specify a case...so I'm going to recommend the CoolerMaster HAF 912 or 922 for your price range; it's a great case that gives a good amount of airflow and I was certainly happy to replace my Thermaltake with it a while back.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayde View Post
              If you are getting it for $135, then go for it because that's a great deal.
              Or if OP cannot get discount on any GPU, get the CPU brand new at that price and turn it around quick for slightly cheaper than the cheapest retail and make a quick buck off it. Then use the gains to fund the GPU purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarre View Post
                I would go for a 27" or 30" LED monitor, the LED is better than the LCD for resolution, don't fall for the 3D gimics though. if you can afford it I'd go with the geforce GTX 590 as its a better card and the fastest you can buy at the moment, just consumes more power and takes up 2 slots, you may want to get a 1KW power supply for the pc.
                Eh, wouldn't the 560ti be better, at least in terms of cost vs performance? Yes the 590 is a monster but it's also $700
                sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                  Eh, wouldn't the 560ti be better, at least in terms of cost vs performance? Yes the 590 is a monster but it's also $700
                  I run the Gigabyte 560ti and i get a constant 60.1 fps with a 900/1800 oc (MSI afterburner) with no voltage changes in standard/high settings, i'm more then happy with the performance, i haven't pushed the upper limits of my card but i read alot of good from higher stable ocing on the 560ti (read to just over 1k), if you do go with the 560ti i might would opt for the 2gb version for SLI options later, right now i run about 87%-96% mem usage on my 1gb

Comment

Just checked i do get a discount on GPUs the 590 would run me about 290$(thank you Job Corps). I just need to save a little longer for it.

---------- Post added at 05:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 AM ----------

All this computer will be for is microsoft office Suite and FF14

Comment

You'll definitely need the GPU for FFXIV but you don't need much CPU for Microsoft Office. In any event, buy quality if you're going to spend those kinds of bucks. I'm sure you'd like your rig to be up and running 3 years from now.

Comment

All i want is two fat girls and a bag of weed (my black friend just said that to me i thought it was funny so i posted it here)

Comment

I was looking online and i saw something with the processor Click image for larger version

Name:	t1.png
Views:	1
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	1474648

Comment

Is the I7-2700k better because It has a graphics core or should i stick with the I7-3820- Make note tis computer is primarily for FF14

Comment

I'm no expert (though I am a computer engineer), but in my opinion you shouldn't care about the graphics core since you will most likely be using a discrete graphics card. 2x00k models look like a decent bang for the buck though the 3820 model looks good because it supports 4 channels on the memory as well as a faster memory but also seems to be more power hungry.

The integrated graphics are useful since you can boot the machine etc. without a graphic card but if you plan on maxing out games etc. I think discrete graphics are necessary....

Personally I'm just catching up to whats going on these days in tech so take my advice with a grain of salt...

Just by looking at the table above, personally I would go for the 3820 model but I would do research, read reviews and ask on these forums first.

Also, personally I wouldn't waste money on anything better than a GTX 560 TI.. and I would wait a few weeks to a month or so when nvidia releases the 6xx series of cards and buy the 560TI on the cheap (if I had that i7 processor [which I dont] I would try and get a 2GB card with the potential for SLIing in the future),

Make sure you get a nice quality power supply. You can drag this with you from system to system.
                              Last edited by geogolem; 03-15-2012, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X