This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to surf the web when FFXIV's running in full screen mode

For people who do not know that you can still surf the web while playing FFXIV in full screen mode, here is a little how to so you can fix that problem. This works great for people using full screen mode that want to surf for FFXIV information while in game...like creating macros...:

1) Install Steam. Steam, The Ultimate Online Game Platform

2) Sign up or use current login and log into Steam.

3) Open Library Tab.

4) Go to Games List.

5) Click Add A Game in the bottom lefthand corner.

6) Click Add a Non Steam Game.

7) A window will pop up and you wait for it to list all available games.

8) Check game that you wish to add. (i.e. FFXIV)

9) Click Add Selected Programs.

10) The game(s) should now be in your library.

11) Go to the game in your library and right click on it. Select Create Desktop Shortcut and it will place a shortcut on your desktop for the game. Make sure to delete any pre-existing launch icons for the game on your desktop.

12) When you use the desktop icon you created, it will launch Steam AND FFXIV. When you are in game, Shift Tab will open up the Steam overlay. This will give you access to a Web Browser and Steam Friends. Steam Friends gives you voice and text chat. Voice chat is one to one.
    Originally posted by Feba
    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
    Originally posted by DakAttack
    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Re: How to surf the web when FFXIV's running in full screen mode

Gotta love Steam.
    sigpic
    "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
    Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Wow, I usually dislike steam due to it, at the end of day being DRM but I think I might be more inclined to use it now. Especially if it means that I don't have to have my laptop open at my side all the time while playing.
      Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
      Reiko Takahashi
      - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
      Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

As an update, steam overlay seems completely inaccessible to me even if I play the game in windowed mode. Add in the fact that is also hogs resources and bandwidth in the background while you play and it just seems like a meh solution to me.
        Reiko Takahashi
        Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Tried it to see if it would work for me, and it does... However I'm too scared to use it. SE will probably scream hacks and ban me.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Firewind View Post
            As an update, steam overlay seems completely inaccessible to me even if I play the game in windowed mode. Add in the fact that is also hogs resources and bandwidth in the background while you play and it just seems like a meh solution to me.
            Works perfectly fine here and I'm running the game, torrents, have other windows open, etc. and my pc is far from top notch.

Originally posted by Etra View Post
            Tried it to see if it would work for me, and it does... However I'm too scared to use it. SE will probably scream hacks and ban me.
            Since FFXI is on Steam, I highly doubt this.
            Originally posted by Feba
            But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
            Originally posted by Taskmage
            God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
            Originally posted by DakAttack
            ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Okay so disabling my firewall lets me use the steam overlay while playing FFXIV but enabling it doesn't let me do so. Both programmes are allowed by my firewall and ports have been properly forwarded which only confuses me more

I have noticed a considerable increase in lag due to Steam eating up bandwidth by downloading patches (even though they were paused when I started the game) >.<
              Reiko Takahashi
              Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Also, we could run this simple script that is modifiable for every screen size and allows us to make windowed mode borderless.
                The Tao of Ren
                FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
                Originally posted by Kaeko
                As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Wow... steam. Brings back memories of CS.

Not to self... re-install CS: Source.

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
                  99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
                  99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Comment

Play in True Full Screen with the benefits of Windowed mode!

I know some people have problems playing in windowed mode for FFXIV. I also know some like to play in full screen mode bec of how it looks. So I have some helpful information that you can use to get the best of both worlds!!

I know I had a problem since I use 2 monitors, there was a resolution problem and lots of stretching. These programs fixed everything for me and allowed me to enjoy the game to its normal potential that was denied to me by my computer setup.

NOTE: This is not against the ToS nor does it enhance your gaming exp in any way. It just changes the size of the FFXIV window.

Full Screen using Shiftwindow
                    Ok this program lets you play in True full screen while also being able to alt+tab out of the game! This is what most people will be using, but if you prefer another program check the one I posted below ^^.

Download: ShiftWindow

Once you have installed the program you need to do the following:

1. Make sure you go to FFXIV Config and set to "windowed mode".
                    Start Menu > All Programs > SquareEnix > Final Fantasy XIV > Final Fantasy XIV Config
                    2. Once you have it set in windowed mode open up shiftwindow program then launch FFXIV.
                    3. Once FFXIV is launched before you click PLAY go to the shiftwindow program and scroll down to where it says "Window". Make sure "Window Title" is checked and select "Grab". A menu will pop up and make sure you select Final Fantasy 14.
                    4. Then go to where it says "Shift To" and select "Full Screen (Client Area)" and this is where you can also select what monitor to open FFXIV up on.
                    5. If you choose you may also save this rule by select File > Save as.
                    6. Now go back to the windowed mode of FFXIV and select "PLAY" after you have logged in. Once the game launches go to shiftwindow and hit "Trigger It". ^^ now enjoy!

A note, you must have shiftwindow open before you launch FFXIV from now on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Full Screen using Steam
                    Ok so this program lets me play the game in full screen and shift+tab to a built in broswer with the program. You can also start this program and use it to launch ffxiv as well.

Steam, The Ultimate Online Game Platform

Name: Luna Flower Server: Palamecia Linkshell: Paranor

Comment

That program is terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by DakAttack View Post
                        They both work just fine for me.

Name: Luna Flower Server: Palamecia Linkshell: Paranor

Comment

Originally posted by DakAttack View Post
                          I'm still running FFXIV Windower. Kekekeke

Comment

Bleh ... Patch 1.19a destroyed my Windower, finally. Guess it was bound to happen but for it to last this long (1 year) is simply amazing.

Any other suggestions? Steam doesn't work (at least for me when I tried it) and the other suggestions seem either clumsy or have issues.

Comment

D;

I saw the thread poster, and I never say this thread before, so I thought it was a new thread.

I was like... TGM is back!?! Welcome ba-! -Looks at the dates.- -Sighs.-

Comment

Working...
                              X