This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My WHM AF Guide (From Allakhazam)

It's an old guide... lots of mistakes, but people at Alla were pissed when I took it down so I might as well repost it here.

What is Artifact Armor?

Artifact Armor, also known as AF, is a job specific set of armor. Not only will their stats improve job performance, but the appearance of the armor will give you the look of the job as well. Artifact Armor contains 6 pieces of equipment. The first piece is a weapon ranging from level 40~43 (WHM is a level 41 maul). The other pieces are 52, 54, 56, 58, and 60.

All jobs Artifact Armor have four quests. The first three quests are your AF1, AF2, and AF3 quest. AF1 is always a quest to obtain your weapon. AF2 is a random quest to obtain one of the 52~60 items (AF2 for WHM is the level 52 boots). AF3 is a quest containing one to three difficult notorious monsters. This is usually the most sought after piece of equipment (WHM AF3 is our jacket, the lvl 58 Healer's Briault). The fourth quest is the "hands" quest. Every job's hand AF piece comes from a quest given by the NPC Guslam. This will all be explained below in the coffers part. The last two AF pieces come from designated coffers. Again, more information below.

How do coffers work?

You always hear about coffer key parties, shouts for help to find a coffer. However, the number one mistake a person makes is rushing to find their coffer without activating the hands quest first. The hand's quest is given to you by Guslam, a galka NPC in the Upper Jeuno armor shop. Once you have activated the hand's quest for that job, you will be able to get your AF pieces out of their designated coffers. Now let me go through this step by step.

The hands piece. The hands piece for every job is found in a coffer, but technically quested. When you open up your hands coffer, you receive a KEY ITEM called something along the lines of "Rusty Gauntlets". You take the gauntlets to Guslam who tells you he can't repair them. Then talk to a mithra in the center of the Tenshodo in the Neptune Spire Inn in Lower Jeuno. You will have to pay her 1k to tell you where the tool box is. This is mandatory. Then go examine the ??? next to the Duty Free Shop in Port Jeuno. THEN go defeat Dark Spark, get the Shadow Flame and return to the ??? by the Duty Free. (The hands for WHM are the Mitts at level 60).

Now the complicated part, you can only have ONE hands quest activated at one time. That means, if you activate it for WHM, until you get the Key items and get your Healer's Mitts, you can't activate the quest for Warrior. That being said, you will only need to get the Beadeaux coffer for the Mitts to complete this quest. Once the quest is completed, you can then get it with Warrior and still not have pulled your WHM AF pieces out of Crawler's Nest and Garlaige. So, have to have the hands quest for that job ACTIVATED or COMPLETED to get the coffer AF pieces for that job, but you do not need to get all the coffers to complete the hands quest.

Some additional information. But what if you finished Black Mage hands without getting the coffers, then activated Paladin. That's two coffers in Eldieme Necropolis. Well... first get a key. Then when you open the coffer, you will receive the AF for whichever job OPENED the coffer. So you must be the job when you open the coffer if you want that AF piece. So all you high level thieves trying to easily get your AF pieces, I don't think so.

But now the time for thieves to shine. You CAN however get your hands piece coffer with ANY job. Your hands, when you pull them from the coffer, is a key item. You'll only have one hand's coffer quest active at a time. So, yes, you can get the WHM Beadeaux coffer as a thief. You will open it and find the KEY ITEM needed for the hands quest. I'm sorry this is confusing, I'm trying to explain it the best I can. Jsut remember, activate the Hand's quest for the job you want AF coffers for. But you'll need to comlete the hands quest before you can start another one. And hands is a key item, so you can open that coffer with any job.

OK, well that pretty much sums up Artifact Armor. If you have any additional questions, corrections, comments... post them and I'll update the thread or answer you in a new post.
    Last edited by Skei; 05-08-2006, 02:09 AM.

Re: My WHM AF Guide (From Allakhazam)

Level 41: Blessed Hammer
    Messenger from the Dead (WHM AF1)

Starter NPC: Narcheral
    Located at: San d'Oria North @M-6
    Requirements: You must be at least level 40 to get this quest.
    Background info: Narcheral wants you to defeat a dark spirit lurking around Valkurm Dunes.

Quest info: Go to Valkurm Dunes at B-8 (often called the "secret" or "bard" beach). Click on the ??? and the Marchelute will appear.

Battle: One mob, Marchelute, Shadow type, LVL 41, drops Tavnazian Pass. My battle party was myself, a level 41 WHM/BLM, a 54 WHM/BLM, a 54 PLD/WAR, and a 63 DRK/SAM. The DRK/SAM was pretty much the tank, spamming Guillotine every second (before the latest tp update). Both myself and the 54 WHM were spamming cures. Dimensional Death dealt by shadow NMs is kind of harsh. If you are taking lower levels into this battle, be prepared for lots of changing hate and lots of damage. For more battle information try here and Here

Completing the quest: Once you defeat the
    Marchelute, he will drop the Tavnazian Pass. Bring this back to Narcheral and trade it with him. He will then acknowledge your feat and give you the Blessed Hammer. Congratulations on your first piece of Artifact Equipment.

My thoughts: This hammer is great. I still use it today. Although it's not the best damage or stats, it will last you a while in xp parties. When it comes to farming, there's much better choices, but 2MND and 10 MP kinda rocks for a club. Healing and Dark staves are much better in the end, though.

Level 52: Healer's Duckbills

Quested: Prelude of White and Black (WHM AF2)

Starter NPC: Prince Pieuje's Room
    Located at: Chateau d'Oraguille @G-8 and H-8 line
    Requirements: You must have finished the AF1 quest for the Blessed Hammer and be level 50 or above to get this quest.
    Background info: You walk into a conversation between Pieuje and Narcheral about a slight problem they are having. After the conversation is over Narcheral tells you that he wants you to bring him Yagudo Holy Water and a pair of Moccosins to prove your dedication to being a WHM.

Quest info: You first shold go to the Auction house and price a pair of [link=http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?fitem=1500]Moccasins[/link]. Either buy them now... or when you get the money =D Moccasins also drop off of mobs in Castle Zvahl and can be crafted with 59 Leathercraft skill. I'd suggest just buying them on the Auction House.

The second part of the quest is to goto Castle Oztroja and kill Yagudo Abbots(level 53-59). I originally did this quest with a level 75 paladin, so that kind of voids the information. I was now able to take on these mobs with myself (59WHM) and a 56 THF friend. The drop is quite often. They drop Yagudo Holy Water among other things. Here's a map of Oztroja. You can find the Abbots immediately after the four switch door which is located at F-8 of the second map.

To finish this quest, go back to Narcheral in the Cathedral and trade him these two items. He will then give you the Healer's Duckbills!! Congratulations on your first real AF! You're starting to look more like a White Mage now!

My Thoughts: You should wear these from the moment you get them. Take off your RSE boots and put these on. 20% spell interuption down is nice.

Level 58: Healer's Briault

Quested: Pieuje's Decision (WHM AF3)

Starter NPC: Prince Pieuje's Room
    Located at: Chateau d'Oraguille @G-8 and H-8 line
    Requirements: You must have finished the AF2 quest for the Healer's Duckbills to get this quest.
    Background info: After a conversation, you learn about a problem Prince Pieuje is facing dealing with the undead of Tavnazia. You are asked to first goto Eldieme Necropolis to find a Tavnazian Bell and then ring that bell in Fei-Yin to summon Altedour I Tavnazia and to defeat him.

Quest info: First things first, check out the
    map of Eldieme Necropolis. Wonderfully confusing, isn't it? Well here's how it works. The best camp for Dark Stalkers is by M-10 on the second map, on top of the Hume Bones. Enter the Necropolis via the I-10 entrance in Batallia Downs. Sneak up. Follow the map until I-9. At this point, one person invis and go North. That person needs to hit the switch at H-8. He should work the switch for you. Be careful of the Azers. This is why you need invisible, but note that they have a very large magic aggro range. I believe at G-8 on the path is a door to go North to the "A" point on the map. The person working the switch can then come to where the party is by someone working another switch that is beyond the door. I'm a little fuzzy on this part, so someone help. Fall down at point "A" and you then walk to where the "Hume Bones" is on the second map. Pull dark stalkers from the rooms around. This is also a good coffer camp.

Dark Stalker (BLM)
    Dark Stalker (RNG)
    Dark Stalker (THF)
    Dark Stalker (WAR)

The Dark Stalkers will drop a Tavnazian Bell. The drop is rare, but it's not as rare as a coffer key. In fact, I got mine on the second kill (then our pld accidentally lotted and beat me) and again on about the 9th kill. Get your bell and warp out.

The Altedour I Tavnazia mob is located at J-10 in Fei Yin. Here is a map of Fei Yin. The mob spawns at a ??? in the center of this room. You will need to trade the Tavnazian Bell to it, then kill the mob when it spawns.

Battle: One mob, Altedour I Tavnazia, about level 67 (IMO), drops a Tavnazian Mask. My battle party consisted of a level 68 Ninja tank, multitudes of 60+ damage dealers including a 73 DRK and 75 BLM, a few 55-60 BRDs and RDMs and four level 57-59 WHM. Posting here about how this battle should be set up would be way too redundant. The only information I'll give you here is that he spams dimensional death which will deal a good bit of damage to your tank. Have healers ready and a high level ninja is a preferred tank. Also get damage dealers to take this down fast. It is not neccessary to get 300% tp, but while the mages are resting to get mp between fights, the melees could go around getting tp.

Completing the quest: Lot on your Tavnazian Mask and take it back to Narcheral. Trade it to him. He will tell you how great a deed this was and give you the Healer's Briault and the title "Pragon of White Mage Excellence". Congratulations on your final AF quest and your Healer's Briault!

My thoughts: Wow, doing this quest was just so fun. Organizing the bell hunt and then having your paladin lot on the item accidentally. I wasn't as mad at this as I should have been, but the other people (having only come here to help me) were a bit grumpy. Anyway, everyone stayed and I got the bell. You CAN hold two bells. I thought about this as I entered Fei Yin with this party. The ninja kept /telling me "We don't have enough damage, blah blah blah". I was so worried. I was the first to go, and they took down the mob so quickly and easily. Being prepared is the key to winning this battle. I lotted on the item and gladly and happily stayed for the other three. I was in the party with the tank, so I just sat there, with an <st> cure IV macro ready on the tank. I feel it was my fault our DRG died, but she wasn't mad and blamed it on herself for hitting the wrong macro.

The armor is wonderful, it makes you the WHM you've been waiting so long to be. I have full AF now except for the gloves, and I love just walking around with my hat off and briault on. The negative enmity is godly. The enfeebling skill helps out too, especially if you haven't been keeping up with it. You'll be wearing this jacket for a while =D

I really hate this double post thing.
    Last edited by Skei; 05-08-2006, 01:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

To make texts larger try [SIZE=4 ]this tag [/SIZE ]
      And the links, replace [link ] [/link ] with [url ] [/url]

Double Post Edited:
      hm I like the double post feature :O it keeps the board clean.
      Last edited by Jei; 05-08-2006, 01:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
      but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
      transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Level 60: Healer's Mitts

Quested: Borghertz's Healing Hands (WHM AF Coffer Quest)

Starter NPC: Guslam
        Located at: Upper Jeuno @F-7 in the armor shop
        Requirements: You must have finished WHM AF2
        Background info: Like all of Guslam's Hand's quests, he tells you about an ancient man named Borghertz's who made a superb piece of hand armor for every job. He says that the white mage hand armor is located somewhere in Beadeaux. He also says that you can find other armor in other coffers in other areas. You MUST have this quest active to get your AF out of coffers. This is explained more above in "How Coffer's Work".

Quest info: Like all "Hand" piece AF, you will need to find and open the coffer in your designated area then defeat the Dark Spark. In the Beadeaux coffer you will find a key item. The other coffers you will need to be a white mage and will pull your AF out of them. This is explained above in "How Coffer's Work"

After opening the Beadeaux Coffer, you will need to kill the Dark Spark and receive the Shadow Flame. The Dark Spark is located in Castle Zvahl Baileys at F-8. After getting the gauntlets key item, bring them to Guslam. He tells you they are beyond his repair so you must then go speak to Yin Pocanakhu in the Tenshodo (Neptune Spire Inn) @ J-7 in Lower Jeuno. You must pay her 1000 gil to tell you where the "tool box" is. The tool box is a "???" in Port Jeuno @H-8 relatively. Examining it will spawn the NPC Borghertz. This NPC will tell you to bring him Shadow Flame to repair the gauntlets.

The Dark Spark is spawned by using a torch at F-8 in the Castle Bailey's. To get there, first Teleport-Vahzl to Xarcabard. (If you don't have it, go East Ronfaure -> Ranguemont Pass -> Beaudecine Glacier -> Xarcabard) Once in Xarcabard, head to the line of D-7/D-8. This route should look very familiar to those of you who have done the Rank 6 mission. Ok, now enter the Castle. Here is a map of the Castle Baileys. If you keep following the path (sneak/invis or just kill stuff) straight, you'll come to an elevated area. Stay to the center of this area! Keep going forward. At F-8 you will come to a gate. To the left of this gate is a examinable object "Torch". Kill off any demons around first, then click on "Torch" and spawn El Dark Spark.

The battle with Dark Spark is pretty traditional and easy. One person tank, everyone else beat down on it. Make sure a BLM or DRK is there for stun. Self-Destruct tends to ruin your day. After it is killed, examine the "torch" again to get your Shadow Flame. This is just like genkai 2 (55 cap). You kill it once and multiple people can re-examine the torch to get the Shadow Flame. Now bring the Shadow Flame back to the ??? by the Duty Free shop for a short uneventful cutscene. And congratulations. Now you have your Healer's Mitts.

Coffer Location: Beadeaux
        Coffer Key Mobs:
        Ancient QuadavDarksteel Quadav
        Platinum Quadav
        Sapphire Quadav
        My Suggested Camp: M-7 on the second map.
        More Info: Bring sneak oils or echo screens. The afflictors will curse you unless you are silenced. Examine the Mute to to be silenced. There are "Mute's" in the area to silence you. Curse is just too harsh when you're running around this place. Quadavs aggro to sound. The area I recommend is at a four way split with Quadavs on every side. Larva's are aggressive, but Too Weak to even level 50's. They will aggro anyone healing though, so take them out whenever they spawn. This place has MASSIVE linkage. Make sure you bring a good number of people and the appropriate levels. ANYONE UNDER 55 WILL DIE. You have been warned >.<

Double Post Edited:
        Level 54: Healer's Cap

Obtained by Opening a Coffer
        Requirements: You must have the Borghertz's Healing Hands active or completed, and you must be a WHM main when you open the coffer

Coffer Location: Garlaige Citadel
        Coffer Key Mobs:
        Fallen Mage
        Fallen Major
        Hellmine
        Tainted Flesh
        Over Weapon
        Vault Weapon
        Wraith
        Magic Jug
        My Suggested Camp: Tunnel Very east of H-8, either tunnel of G-8
        More Info: If you camp at H-8 you will be pulling Fallen Majors and Mages. Silence the mages. The key drop here sucks. However, if you camp at G-8 you can pull Over weapons and Vault Weapons. The key drop is significantly increased. Watch out for Wraiths. Tainted Flesh are doable at G-8 but they hit hard (especially when you're a WHM and the trick partner for Dancing Edge).

When getting the coffer, you will need a group of four or have to wait for the banishing gates to open. My suggestion is take a group of four, and look around for the coffer. If you find it and someone else needs a coffer, go through the third banishing gate at H-6 of the second map and then go outside into Sauromague and wait there for 20-30 minutes. Then go back in and search again. We found three coffers, but they all happened to spawn in the EXACT same spot which was I-7 of the second map (behind the third banishing gate).

Level 56: Healer's Pantaloons

Obtained by Opening a Coffer
        Requirements: You must have the Borghertz's Healing Hands active or completed, and you must be a WHM main when you open the coffer

Coffer Location: Crawler's Nest
        Coffer Key Mobs:
        Crawler Hunter
        Knight Crawler
        Helm Beetle
        Wespe
        My suggested Camp: The rumble crawler tunnel F-9 of the third map, pulling Helm Beetles
        More Info: This is rather easy to get. I got mine xping. Helm Beetles drop the keys fairly often. You can pull Knight Crawlers at that camp as well. Finding the coffer is a little more difficult. Just remember when following the maps, that some of the lizards are agressive further into the Nest. Be careful when searching.

Double Post Edited:
        There. I'll add links to somepage maybe if I have time, but the overall goal of taking it off of Allakhazam was to get people away from there, so I hope this helps out!
        Last edited by Skei; 05-08-2006, 02:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

You don't need healers hands active to get the gloves and pants...

I got them both before I had ANY idea what the gloves quest were..

Comment

Working...
          X