• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Takelli
    replied
    Re: Alternative tank: Warrior

Originally posted by cidbahamut View Post
    Ninjas are pretty hit or miss in my experience. Some are good, some suck even past 37.
    Lol. a lot of ninjas suck, mainly because they don't cast their other ninjutsu. Like the slow, blind, and paralyze spells. They can't hold hate because they don't utilize them, or they cant deal any damage at all.
    Originally posted by cidbahamut View Post
    That's not to say it can't work. There was one guy I trusted to tank on Warrior, simply because he'd done such a good job of it on his Paladin in a previous party. We went to Kuftal Tunnel and he did a top notch job of holding hate, but as a warrior he kept bleeding all over the floor. It made for a pretty stressful night.
    Usually, I have a dancer in the party as well with an alternative tank, as it helps save mp for the healer. But the ones that are good, have a good eva set, or a good defense set up, and eat defense food. They work well when done correctly.

Leave a comment:

• cidbahamut
    replied

I've had really mixed results with warrior tanks.
    Some of the ones I've had were pretty good while others couldn't tank their way out of a paper bag. Part of the problem is that people often gear warrior as a DD rather than a tank, and the only thing they do in the way of damage mitigation is to /nin for shadows, which they do sloppily. They bleed all over the place and then can't hold hate. This tends to be frustrating for the healer in the party.

That's not to say it can't work. There was one guy I trusted to tank on Warrior, simply because he'd done such a good job of it on his Paladin in a previous party. We went to Kuftal Tunnel and he did a top notch job of holding hate, but as a warrior he kept bleeding all over the floor. It made for a pretty stressful night.

I tend to invite warriors as a last resort because I don't really trust them to be up to the task. Even the ones I do trust end up being inferior to most paladins. If the general population were better at it or more willing to tank it might be different, but until I find warriors who are built from the ground up with tanking in mind, I'm gonna go for the paladins.

Ninjas are pretty hit or miss in my experience. Some are good, some suck even past 37.

Leave a comment:

• JoetheAwesome
    replied

I've seen War/nin tank on Colibris before, although it can get messy sometimes, it's definitely better than waiting an hour for a PLD/NIN to pop up. Also was in a WAR/NIN x2 pt where they shared hate and tbh couldn't tell the difference between a "regular" tank. I think all times they were Axex2.

Edit: I'd also like that mentality to stop. Especially when i've been waiting 30 mins 5/6 and all we need is a tank when I tell them to invite a war the most common response is "lolwar". >.>

Leave a comment:

• Takelli
    started a topic Alternative tank: Warrior

Alternative tank: Warrior

So... This is basically starting up another discussion that I had going on earlier quite a while ago, and I decided to start it up again after seeing some pretty good warriors tanking monsters in exp parties.

The set up was War/Ninja X2, Dnc/nin, Whm, Blm, Pup/Dnc. The pup/dnc didn't need to use any healing, the blm was able to nuke, and only Dnc, and whm needed to heal.

The warriors came with great axes, and shared hate. They took barely any damage the entire time. The only time they lost hate when when I did a mass Divine Waltz, or the whm flashed (Which they stopped after a while.). The kills where fast, and we where getting some where between 7-8k exp/hour at level 46/47 in garliege.

Any other warriors ever tank, and if so, how did you do it? Was it also effective?

I'm trying to get people out of the "Ninja or Paladin onry!" attitude for tanks. I have seen some good blues, and even a redmage tank pretty well once as well. But, thats not for this thread!
Working...
X