Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alternative tank: Warrior

Originally posted by Ziero View Post
    Because the exceptions make the rule, mirite?
    Er, the point is that different situations have different tanking(-like) needs, and WARs often meet those needs.

I like duo tanking, by the way; you may not consider it 'true' tanking, but it is often the better way to do things.
    Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
    yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
    Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
    leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Ziero and Ifrit, I think you guys are saying the same things, you're just choosing different ways of saying it, nit-picking at details of the other persons post.
      75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
      RANK 10 Bastok
      CoP: Done
      ZM: Done
      ToA: Done
      Assault rank: Captain
      Campaign Medal: Medals
      Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
      This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Comment

I never said duo tanking wasn't an efficient way to tank, but the fact is you can duo tank with just about any two jobs.

There are very few situations, if any, where War is the best tank past 40. Sam/War for example can duo tank just as efficiently, if not moreso, then War/Nin as they have more on demand burst damage, similar if not better defensive stats, a built in damage mitigation ability and never have to worry about shadow recasts. Hell, a Sam/Nin can tank efficiently too, even without voke a good sam can build a lot of hate right off the bat, and negate/evade/mitigate far more damage much easier then War can. Even two Thfs can duo tank off each other post 60, assuming they're good (it's a lot of fun btw).

While yes, it's true two wars can duo tank, as far as I'm concerned, many jobs can duo tank in an Exp party. The problem is, War was supposed to be one of the main tanks in the game. It's part of their whole concept, they can either be extreme offense or extreme defense. While they can do the offense thing easy enough, their defensive abilities are laughable at best.

Originally posted by Mezlo View Post
        Ziero and Ifrit, I think you guys are saying the same things, you're just choosing different ways of saying it, nit-picking at details of the other persons post.
        Probably. It's monday and I'm bored, cranky and tired so I guess I'm a bit more dickish then usual. All I'm trying to say that while War can duo tank, it's really nothing special about War.
        "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

There are very few situations, if any, where War is the best tank past 40.
          [...]
          The problem is, War was supposed to be one of the main tanks in the game.
          I don't disagree with the assertion that WAR is not the "best tank" past Lv.40, but I don't see this as a problem per se.

If I am to worry so much about what jobs were supposed to be eight years ago, I'd be moaning about NINs tanking or PLDs using /NIN able to hit higher total enmity than PLDs using /WAR or something like that.

Sam/War for example can duo tank just as efficiently, if not moreso, then War/Nin as they have more on demand burst damage, similar if not better defensive stats, a built in damage mitigation ability and never have to worry about shadow recasts.
          Have you duo or solo tanked on SAM/WAR? I find it frustrating due to to the fickle nature of Third Eye. As a long time tank player (PLD) and a (relatively recent) SAM75, I much prefer WAR/NIN over SAM/WAR for tanking.

(Of course, I also prefer PLD over WAR for tanking, but not every situation is best served by PLD kind of tanking.)
          Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
          yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
          Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
          leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Working...
          X