Tank Sub-Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank Sub-Job

Alright from what I've seen by looking around the web, my best choice to be the best possible tank (focusing on hp and defense more than damage) would be a Galka Warrior, my question is what would be the best sub job? I was thinking Samurai or Monk I read paladins are a great sub job for tanks but I'm skeptical due to paladins need for MP. So if anything is wrong with the conclusions I've come to please let me know, other wise what would the best sub-job be?

*Edit* Also I just wanted to say please avoid the use of abbreviations as I'm still waiting for the game in the mail and I've noticed there are a lot of abbreviations that people in these forums use that seem to be unique to this game. Thanks :D
    Found Online Made by me

Re: Tank Sub-Job

If you seriously want to tank in this game, you want to be a Paladin or a Ninja, not a Warrior. Warriors are not called upon to tank in EXP parties very frequently except at low levels. Also, you don't have to be a Galka unless you want to. Race doesn't matter a whole lot in this game except for HP and MP. However, MP is generally worth more than HP, so for instance, a Galka PLD isn't necessarily better in every situation than a PLD of a different race.

The recommended path for you is to level Monk to 18, unlock your sub job, then level Warrior/Monk to 37, unlock Paladin or Ninja, and go Job/Warrior to 75.

Comment

It seems like you have a lot of research to do. And I wont get into the usefulness of Paladin (PLD) or Samurai (SAM) as a sub for Warrior (WAR) and etc. at lower levels.

What I'd suggest instead is that you started by checking out the Helpful Links thread first.
      sigpic
      "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
      Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Right a paladin galka probably wouldn't be great due to galka's mp limitations so what race would I want with a paladin? Otherwise a Ninja would be okay for galka right? One of the big reasons i was thinking galka is because I hear there the least played race in the game, but that doesn't matter to me as much as efficiency, what would arguments from ninja vs paladin be? As in who the better tanker would be? Or are they just so even it isn't considered..
        Found Online Made by me

Comment

I wonder if you'll last long enough on XI if you go with the "Best you can ever be" mentallity from other games.

Every race has their limitations but they can all play any job if they are geared properly and played with skill. Taru tanks and Galka mages are probably the extremes of the spectrum, but it really doesn't make that much difference except for very specific situations.

Also, you'll hear this a lot (and for a reason) but I'd suggest you picked the race/face type you like the most an that you feel more comfortable staring at for a long long time.

Unless you have enough time to play, since creating alts really isn't very easy on XI unless you have a lot of free time on your hands.
          sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by Raydeus View Post
            I wonder if you'll last long enough on XI if you go with the "Best you can ever be" mentallity from other games.

Every race has their limitations but they can all play any job if they are geared properly and played with skill. Taru tanks and Galka mages are probably the extremes of the spectrum, but it really doesn't make that much difference except for very specific situations.

Also, you'll hear this a lot (and for a reason) but I'd suggest you picked the race/face type you like the most an that you feel more comfortable staring at for a long long time.

Unless you have enough time to play, since creating alts really isn't very easy on XI unless you have a lot of free time on your hands.
            Alright thanks I'll probably pick a race I think is sexy than, otherwise it seems PLD/NIN tanks are all the rave right now, Would I still want to level monk to 18 if I was to go for a PLD/NIN?
            Found Online Made by me

Comment

Pld is better for faster hitting mobs because you get several defence bonus traits as you level, are able to wear heavy armour and a lot of your job abilities are based around defence.

Nin is better for hard hitting slower mobs as the shadows absorb all the damage from the big hit. Works great until the mob does an area of effect spell or ws and it strips most or all of your shadows.

Theres pros and cons for both jobs so it depends on your play style. Pre 37 ninjas only have utsemi ichi to rely on, they can get by as tanks as long as they have a supply of at least the enfeebling ninja tools to keep hate but soon as there shadows drop they start going down fast as they dont have the defence. At 37 and you get utsemi Ni things get a lot easier.

I personally prefered Ninja when I levelled them, Pld was depressing, remember a fantastic party in Garlaige Citadel went from 33>36 in one party with me as ninja tank.

EDIT Pld/NIN is not a good idea until high level because you loose the one thing that really helps a pld tank Provoke from WAR sub
              Barsha: Sam 85 Blm 85 Blu 85 Drg 75 Rdm 78 Whm 49 Thf 49 War 49 Dnc 42 Nin 49 Drk 33
              Alchemy 23 Cooking 23
              Bastok 6-1 COP complete AU complete ZM complete WotG Wings Of Glory

Comment

PLD/NIN is more of an end game combination (specifically after they get Utsusemi: Ni at lvl 74) but it's also used by more DD focused PLDs earlier (lvl 50+ maybe?) so at first you'll probably be better off subbing WAR instead.

That's why leveling MNK to 18 is useful since you can sub that while leveling WAR to 37 (and you need a job lvl 30+ to unlock PLD anyway.)

So as you can see there's a LOT of job swaping and leveling for job/sub combinations, but you'll get used to it.
                sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

Alright thanks man, Guess we'll see if I last ;-) I think I will :D
                  Found Online Made by me

Comment

Originally posted by Wake N' Bake View Post
                    Right a paladin galka probably wouldn't be great due to galka's mp limitations so what race would I want with a paladin? Otherwise a Ninja would be okay for galka right? One of the big reasons i was thinking galka is because I hear there the least played race in the game, but that doesn't matter to me as much as efficiency, what would arguments from ninja vs paladin be? As in who the better tanker would be? Or are they just so even it isn't considered..
                    I heard just about the same question from some one that JUST joined my linkshell today.

A Hume is a race that is completly balanced, as so is Mithra, but their Dex, Agi, and Mp are stronger.

Any race can play as any job as said before, and racial limitations can be over come by gear.

When selecting your race, just select which ever one you like the most. When selecting your job, just have to get gear to over come your races down sides, which isn't all that hard due to the updates, and all the new gear, and ect...

As for the Pld Vs Ninja thing...

Pld:
                    Can hold hate better.
                    Has Mp to self heal.
                    Actually takes hits.
                    Higher Defense.
                    Can be cheap to level with the right gear.

Ninja:
                    Isn't so good at holding hate until higher levels.
                    Is THE most expensive tank in game.
                    Avoids damage.
                    Lower defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Takelli View Post
                      I heard just about the same question from some one that JUST joined my linkshell today.

A Hume is a race that is completly balanced, as so is Mithra, but their Dex, Agi, and Mp are stronger.

Any race can play as any job as said before, and racial limitations can be over come by gear.

When selecting your race, just select which ever one you like the most. When selecting your job, just have to get gear to over come your races down sides, which isn't all that hard due to the updates, and all the new gear, and ect...

As for the Pld Vs Ninja thing...

Pld:
                      Can hold hate better.
                      Has Mp to self heal.
                      Actually takes hits.
                      Higher Defense.
                      Can be cheap to level with the right gear.

Ninja:
                      Isn't so good at holding hate until higher levels.
                      Is THE most expensive tank in game.
                      Avoids damage.
                      Lower defense.
                      Yeah :D Ty I've already decided on a PLD but I'm still not sure on my sub job, it seems a lot of people think PLD/Nin's are the most effecient tank atm But if I were to be PLD/Nin How would I level that, I'm not sure when either of the levels become available and I'm not sure what char I would want to start with, any suggestions?
                      Found Online Made by me

Comment

To OP:

Different situations allows for different jobs to tank, in different styles, though it always boils down to enmity generation and damage mitigation.

WAR/NIN (Warrior with Ninja as support job) at Lv.75 can tank primarily by generating enmity via damage output and provoke, and mitigating damage via Utsusemi.

On the way to Lv.75 (well, Lv.40 to Lv.74, technically), though, Warrior's damage mitigation falls short on any support job when tanking, unless using Defender--which severely restricts its enmity generating ability because it lowers a Warrior's damage output a lot. (Lv.10-40, WAR/MNK make an good to acceptable tank, but need party build with sufficient curing power.)

Either way, I don't think Warrior is what you're looking for.

Instead, you should look toward Paladin (PLD), which has two primary ways of tanking:

1. PLD/WAR (Warrior as support job): Uses shield block, high defense gear, job abilities, and cures for damage mitigation; generates enmity via Provoke, Flash, Sentinel (and other job abilities) and cures.

The first of Paladin's tanking style is what most Paladin players use level 10 to 74 or so, and fit right in with what you wanted.

Be aware that there's a trend to adding damage output to the first style as part of enmity generation, by equipping more offensive orientated gear and even using different food (which alters stats significantly in this game, often for 30 minutes to 3 hrs at a time), sacrificing some defensive capability in return. It has became quite fashionable to advocate this style ("DD PLD", or damage dealing Paladin) on various forums in the last year or so.

Personally, I think the proponents of the DD PLD style are overstating its benefits in general, while understating its drawbacks. That said, I did (and still do) carry both DD and defensive gears for Paladin; if the party's curing resources can support it, doing more damage while taking on more damage can be a good trade off--DD tanking is situational. And, if the real damage dealers (DDs) are so strong that the Paladin isn't tanking much, that PLD might as well gear up as a DD instead.

At lower levels, DD gears do not require significant tradeoff in defensive capabilities, and at almost any level one can do some amount of hybrid gearing. In some ways, there isn't a job in FFXI which is a pure defensive tank anymore--perhaps there never was except by player convention.

2. PLD/NIN (Ninja as support job): Use Utsusemi as the primary form of damage mitigation, supplemented by a shield and other equipment along with cures; generates enmity via Flash, Sentinel (and other job abilities), and cures.

The second style is used more at the endgame, and will seem very awkward when first attempted--but essential for any Lv.75 Paladin player to master.

There are times on PLD/NIN when not functioning as a tank. Generally speaking, it would be most beneficial to fully gear as a DD in those situations.

Galka has a lot of HP, but little MP, Tarutaru has a lot of MP, but little HP.

This means the Galka Paladin is the best at keeping cumulative enmity it has generated, while the Tarutaru Paladin is the fastest at generating both cumulative and volatile enmity. When things don't go according to plans, the Galka has the best chance to survive, while the Tarutaru has the worst. Both can be good Paladins--good players can draw on each race's strengths while find ways to mitigate its shortcomings.

Elvaan, Hume, and Mithra are in the middle between those two extremes, with the Hume and the Mithra squarely in the middle, while the Elvaan tilting to Galka like strengths and shortfalls.

I would say Mithra is the easiest race to play PLD with and the best looking besides, but I'm biased...

p.s. Cure is both damage mitigation and enmity generation; the Cure line of spells is a power tool in a Paladin's arsenal.

Guess OP posted while I was writing my long essay....

Get all six standard jobs to Lv.10 to get familiarized with Vana'diel, and accumulate some gil from the drops. Then, get Warrior to 18, unlock Support Job ability. Level Monk to 17+, then back to Warrior to Lv.37.

Now unlock Paladin. (Probably will need some help.) With Warrior at 37, you're good to go until PLD74. Somewhere along the leveling, unlock Ninja and get it to 37 (or 40).
                        Last edited by ItazuraNhomango; 07-17-2009, 01:21 AM. Reason: Guess OP posted while I was writing my long essay....
                        Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                        yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                        Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                        leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
                          To OP:

Different situations allows for different jobs to tank, in different styles, though it always boils down to enmity generation and damage mitigation.

WAR/NIN (Warrior with Ninja as support job) at Lv.75 can tank primarily by generating enmity via damage output and provoke, and mitigating damage via Utsusemi.

On the way to Lv.75 (well, Lv.40 to Lv.74, technically), though, Warrior's damage mitigation falls short on any support job when tanking, unless using Defender--which severely restricts its enmity generating ability because it lowers a Warrior's damage output a lot. (Lv.10-40, WAR/MNK make an good to acceptable tank, but need party build with sufficient curing power.)

Either way, I don't think Warrior is what you're looking for.

Instead, you should look toward Paladin (PLD), which has two primary ways of tanking:

1. PLD/WAR (Warrior as support job): Uses shield block, high defense gear, job abilities, and cures for damage mitigation; generates enmity via Provoke, Flash, Sentinel (and other job abilities) and cures.

The first of Paladin's tanking style is what most Paladin players use level 10 to 74 or so, and fit right in with what you wanted.

Be aware that there's a trend to adding damage output to the first style as part of enmity generation, by equipping more offensive orientated gear and even using different food (which alters stats significantly in this game, often for 30 minutes to 3 hrs at a time), sacrificing some defensive capability in return. It has became quite fashionable to advocate this style ("DD PLD", or damage dealing Paladin) on various forums in the last year or so.

Personally, I think the proponents of the DD PLD style are overstating its benefits in general, while understating its drawbacks. That said, I did (and still do) carry both DD and defensive gears for Paladin; if the party's curing resources can support it, doing more damage while taking on more damage can be a good trade off--DD tanking is situational. And, if the real damage dealers (DDs) are so strong that the Paladin isn't tanking much, that PLD might as well gear up as a DD instead.

At lower levels, DD gears do not require significant tradeoff in defensive capabilities, and at almost any level one can do some amount of hybrid gearing. In some ways, there isn't a job in FFXI which is a pure defensive tank anymore--perhaps there never was except by player convention.

2. PLD/NIN (Ninja as support job): Use Utsusemi as the primary form of damage mitigation, supplemented by a shield and other equipment along with cures; generates enmity via Flash, Sentinel (and other job abilities), and cures.

The second style is used more at the endgame, and will seem very awkward when first attempted--but essential for any Lv.75 Paladin player to master.

There are times on PLD/NIN when not functioning as a tank. Generally speaking, it would be most beneficial to fully gear as a DD in those situations.

Galka has a lot of HP, but little MP, Tarutaru has a lot of MP, but little HP.

This means the Galka Paladin is the best at keeping cumulative enmity it has generated, while the Tarutaru Paladin is the fastest at generating both cumulative and volatile enmity. When things don't go according to plans, the Galka has the best chance to survive, while the Tarutaru has the worst. Both can be good Paladins--good players can draw on each race's strengths while find ways to mitigate its shortcomings.

Elvaan, Hume, and Mithra are in the middle between those two extremes, with the Hume and the Mithra squarely in the middle, while the Elvaan tilting to Galka like strengths and shortfalls.

I would say Mithra is the easiest race to play PLD with and the best looking besides, but I'm biased...

p.s. Cure is both damage mitigation and enmity generation; the Cure line of spells is a power tool in a Paladin's arsenal.

Guess OP posted while I was writing my long essay....

Get all six standard jobs to Lv.10 to get familiarized with Vana'diel, and accumulate some gil from the drops. Then, get Warrior to 18, unlock Support Job ability. Level Monk to 17+, then back to Warrior to Lv.37.

Now unlock Paladin. (Probably will need some help.) With Warrior at 37, you're good to go until PLD74. Somewhere along the leveling, unlock Ninja and get it to 37 (or 40).
                          This has helped a great deal indeed thank you very much, but after looking over some guide's I'm slightly worried because a lot of guides say you want to have enmity gear to macro on and than main items that focus more on there stats and crap, but my worry is I'm playing on an x box 360 and I think it'll be rather complicated to change items during battle on it.. Do you think that would cripple the PLD/NIN build? Because that what I've already basically decided on
                          Found Online Made by me

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                            Also, you don't have to be a Galka unless you want to. Race doesn't matter a whole lot in this game except for HP and MP. However, MP is generally worth more than HP, so for instance, a Galka PLD isn't necessarily better in every situation than a PLD of a different race.
                            In performance terms, this is true, but I have found that endgame shells are *incredibly* racist when it comes to tanking. If you are not elvaan or galka you will be shoved aside again and again for players who are, regardless of how little impact maximum HP actually has on tanking performance or who has better gear/more experience/etc. (It must be even worse for taru, which probably explains why I've never seen a taru tank in any endgame content).

On the other hand, nobody can get enough BLMs or other high-demand jobs, regardless of their race.

So when it comes to social acceptance in high-level content, you're definitely better off being a high-HP race, even though it doesn't make that much actual difference.
                            Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
                            RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
                            All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

Originally posted by Karinya View Post
                              In performance terms, this is true, but I have found that endgame shells are *incredibly* racist when it comes to tanking. If you are not elvaan or galka you will be shoved aside again and again for players who are, regardless of how little impact maximum HP actually has on tanking performance or who has better gear/more experience/etc. (It must be even worse for taru, which probably explains why I've never seen a taru tank in any endgame content).

On the other hand, nobody can get enough BLMs or other high-demand jobs, regardless of their race.

So when it comes to social acceptance in high-level content, you're definitely better off being a high-HP race, even though it doesn't make that much actual difference.
                              Well after so many people said just pick the race you like the looks of most I had already chosen elvaan so its nice to hear people will accept pld elvaan's because that's what I've finally decided on, thanks for the adivce though. :D
                              Found Online Made by me

Comment

Working...
                              X