X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TO ALL NEW WARs: How to be awesome

How to be an awesome WAR:

1) Use Shield Break

You MUST use a Great Axe and start fights with Shield Break, until at least Level 55. Even if you're /NIN. The reason is simple: Shield Break's Evasion Down (-40 Evasion) beats anything any other WS has to offer. It borders on broken. Giving the mob -40 Evasion is like giving everyone in your party +40 Accuracy. Since every 2 Acc you gain (or every 2 Evasion the mob loses) increases your hit rate by 1%, Shield Break will make everyone's hit rate jump up by 20% (e.g. if you were hitting 60% of the time, now you'll hit 80% of the time. That's actually a 33% improvement!)

To give you an idea of how massive/broken Shield Break is:
    - Sword Madrigal (Lv.11 BRD song) maxes out at +15 Accuracy, while Blade Madrigal (Lv.51) maxes out at +30 Accuracy (equipping a Travesiere +1 will add 4 more Acc.)
    - You need to have 250 Accuracy for HQ sushis (+16% Acc) to give +40 Accuracy. That won't happen 'til around levels 50-60.
    - Haubergeon, the best buyable body armor for melee DDs in the game, only gives 10 Acc and 5 DEX.

Yet Shield Break is useable as soon as you get your first Great Axe at level 5. To sweeten the deal, using Shield Break after the mob uses an Evasion Boost move (such as Lizard's Secretion, Pugil's Water Shield or Beetle's Rhino Guard) will remove and overwrite the Evasion Boost effect. Mob's self-buff moves tend to be terribly potent and will slow down your kill speed to a crawl, and RDMs don't get Dispel until Level 32, so being able to overwrite Evasion Boost moves is a huge plus. (Just be forewarned that the very same moves can also overwrite Shield Break, so you'll have to reapply it every time the mob uses an Evasion Boost move.) Not to mention Shield Break will also help you land Acid Bolts.

In short, you'll want to start every fight with Shield Break until you're strong enough to start consistently doing 500-700 damage WS's (and even then, depending on the camp, the mobs, and the other DDs, Shield Break might still be worth it.)

Note: Evasion Down is an ice-based effect. Although ice-resistant mobs are very rare, it's still important to know that any mob with high ice resistances can resist Shield Break's Evasion Down, lowering the duration (and occasionally making it not land at all.) The most noteworthy mobs besides Fire and Ice Elementals are Gigas and undead.

2) Use Acid Bolts

Acid Bolts, like Shield Break, are also epic win, despite the fact that almost no WAR uses them, and parties don't ask for them. Acid Bolts inflict a -12.5% Defense Down effect. That's the equivalent of giving every melee in the party a +14.3% Attack. Use Shield Break first to lower the mob's Evasion, then stick an Acid Bolt on the mob. (Note: landing more than one doesn't improve the effect.) Needless to say, you'll want to keep your Marksmanship capped, and you'll want to at least get some +Ranged Accuracy rings to swap into in your Ranged Attack macro.

Like Shield Break's Evasion Down, Acid Bolt's Defense Down effect can also overwrite (and be overwritten by) mob's Defense Boost moves. That means you can use them to get rid Pugil's Water Wall, Crab's Scissor Guard, and Crawler's Cocoon. As mentioned above, being able to remove these effects before Dispel comes along is a huge benefit to any party. (And even after Dispel comes along, it helps to be able to save the RDM some MP.)

Sleep and Bloody bolts can also be useful in emergencies.

Note: Defense Down is a wind-based effect. As above, wind-resistant mobs are rare, but don't try sticking Defense Down on Wind/Ice Elementals, Colibri, or Puks.

3) Use your Utsusemi shadows

If you're going to go /NIN, you'd better damned well use those shadows as often as possible. That means pulling hate on purpose when your shadows are up. The reason is simple: it's better for you to lose 6 shadows than it is for the tank to take 6 hits. That's 6 hits' worth of HP the healers will have to Cure back, and 6 hits' worth of hate the tank lost. If your tank is a NIN or another WAR/NIN, then you're helping him keep his shadows up. If you're not going to be pulling hate then change subs to something more useful, like /THF, /SAM, or /DRG.

On Armor Break and Full Break...

Under ideal circumstances, you'll want to use Shield Break. Armor Break does give a very nice -25% Defense (the equivalent of +33.3% Attack), but Accuracy is a more useful stat than Attack - more Attack makes you hit harder, but Accuracy doesn't just raise your damage by making you hit more often, it also lets you get TP faster so you can WS more often as well. In addition to that, the mob can only have one Defense Down effect, so it's better to use Shield Break + Acid Bolts than just Armor Break alone. However, in the rare event that you party with another smart WAR wielding a Great Axe, one person can use Shield Break and the other can use Armor Break for maximum rape.

Full Break is even less useful because it only gives -20 Evasion and -12.5% Defense. It also gives the -12.5% Attack and -20 Accuracy, but except in special situations, increasing every melee's damage with that extra -20 Evasion from Shield Break is more effective than lowering the mob's offensive stats.

On Iron Tempest and Sturmwind...

Iron Tempest sucks. Don't use it. It does the same damage as Shield Break without the epic Evasion Down debuff.

Although Shield Break is usually the best option, there may be special events such as missions and BCNMs where you simply want to inflict a massive amount of damage to the mob immediately. Sturmwind will meet those needs, especially if stacked with Mighty Strikes.

One last thing!

Keep your axe skilled up too. You'll regret it later if you don't.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Follow those tips and your parties will be MUCH better (although they probably won't notice your insane awesomeness so don't expect any compliments out of them.)
    Last edited by Armando; 12-20-2008, 07:28 AM.

Re: TO ALL NEW WARs: How to be awesome

Nitpickiness: Ranged Accuracy rings, not Ranged Attack*
    Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

Good catch. Fixed, thanks!

Comment

I was actually unaware(well aware but didn't quite put 2 and 2 together) about Defense Down overwriting Cocoon/Scissor Guard/etc, that's actually an extremely helpful tip for people with mid level THFs and RNGs as well.
        Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

But... but... buying acid bolts means spending money ; ;

And... um... bomb core, yeah.

Damage is all about me, helping the PT increase damage is for BRDs and CORs >.>;

-----------

Personally, I feel sorry for any class that can make use of some form of DEF/Evasion down not making use of it when they can. Crossbow and acids on Crawlers, Crabs and Def Boost whoring mobs in general is requisite in my mind. But usually, they just expect me, the RNG to do it.

I've started carrying spare crossbows, just so I don't get the excuses anymore XD

Comment

Yeah, it seriously makes my blood boil when the jobs that have these great tools don't use them >< When you finally find a Great Axe WAR, the nitwit wants to use Sturmwind. The number of THFs without crossbows is also too high =/

As for the Bomb Core thing, to be fair, by the time you can use a Bomb Core, depending on the party's skill speed it may just be better to Raging Rush the mob, and if you're using RR then sticking the Acid Bolt will probably be pretty hard.

Before 55 there's really no excuse though.

Comment

Consider it stuck.

Also, colibri are quite wind resistant as well. I got bored while levelling back in the day and burned through a stack of acids without ever getting a proc.
              I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

Thanks for the sticky! Added Colibri to the list of notable wind-resistant mobs.

Comment

Very nice, during my playtime as a melee that Wars would never use shield break, which is a fairly big deal in a melee based party. You're not doing anyone a favor if all you're doing is spamming Strumwind or some such.

Also, your avatar... I'm having trouble thinking of a word to describe it.

Comment

"Adorable"

Comment

Armando, I believe you're the only one here to think that. I'm pretty sure the rest of us are looking for "creepy."
                      Originally posted by Armando
                      No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                      Originally posted by Armando
                      Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                      Originally posted by Taskmage
                      GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                      Originally posted by Taskmage
                      However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                      Matthew 16:15

Comment

The word "arousing" came to mind. I'd love a link to the full pic.

On topic, thanks. Eventually, I'll be taking up WAR, and it'll help to know how to do it right.

Comment

I used Shield Break on my Galka before I abandoned him, except for on Mandies. After a Acid Bolt, it's REALLY hard to resist Sturmwind. I was on lolPS2 at the time, but I did a 442 Sturmwind once with a BRD in the Yhoator Jungle that I still hear about from time to time from some buddies in the pt.

Handy though, with some concrete numbers like you posted maybe it'll help newer WAR's think twice. Now make one for other BLU's who I see using Bludgeon at level 60 everytime its up. Yes, the damage is still pretty cool guys, but 30 tp to the mob = No Thanks.
                          Cleverness - Hades
                          75BLU/75RDM/75NIN/60SAM/59SMN
                          DRK/NIN/WHM/BLM/SCH/WAR/PLD subs

Comment

No prob.
                            Originally posted by BurningPanther
                            The word "arousing" came to mind. I'd love a link to the full pic.
                            That's the funny thing - other than resizing it down, that IS the full pic. It's not cropped or anything lol.

EDIT: Here you go.
                            EDIT2: Never mind, a friend of mine did some searching around it turns out the image I linked is really just a cropped version of an h-doujin cover. Needless to say, the original is NSFW lol.

Originally posted by Clever Ninja
                            I was on lolPS2 at the time, but I did a 442 Sturmwind once with a BRD in the Yhoator Jungle that I still hear about from time to time from some buddies in the pt.
                            Cases like those are usually Double Attack procs. DAs make Sturmwind ridiculous, but they also make Shield Break hit about as hard as a normal Sturmwind. Even when /THF I use Shield Break, because SA guarantees that Shield Break will hit, and SA Sturmwind is usually too much hate at the start of fights.

Now make one for other BLU's who I see using Bludgeon at level 60 everytime its up. Yes, the damage is still pretty cool guys, but 30 tp to the mob = No Thanks.
                            This one is pretty debatable. It depends a lot on how dangerous it is for the mob to do TP moves in quick succession. Yes, it is 30 TP for the mob but the damage/MP ratio is excellent, and hitting the mob with your sword 3 times would also give it ~30 TP while doing similar damage. He's just speeding up the process of killing the mob.

As a tank I don't really care how much TP is being fed to the mob unless we're talking of extreme cases like Kraken Clubs, or the mobs really suck (AoE Slow from Spiders, Incinerate at high HPs, and just dangerous AoEs in general.)
                            Last edited by Armando; 10-27-2008, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                              EDIT2: Never mind, a friend of mine did some searching around it turns out the image I linked is really just a cropped version of an h-doujin cover. Needless to say, the original is NSFW lol.
                              404 error, valid excuse not found.

At least give us the title of the doujin x_x

500 hours in MS paint

Comment

Working...
                              X