Berzerk???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berzerk???

So I'm in a party at the Dunes the other day and the Pug starts getting the best of us. but I still have a pretty full life. I use Berzerk and bam, the next thing I know the Pug pulls out screwdriver, I'm hit for 232 hps and dead. What exactly does Berzerk do and when is a good time to use it?

Re: Berzerk???

Lowers your defense and increases your attack. Definitely not something you want to use when you're being beat up on.

A better time to use it is when the tank has decent hate. Then you can pull it out and kill stuff a bit faster. However, if you're prone to taking hate a lot, you'll just end up being an mp sponge, so not a good idea.
    ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Originally posted by dani1977 View Post
      So I'm in a party at the Dunes the other day and the Pug starts getting the best of us. but I still have a pretty full life. I use Berzerk and bam, the next thing I know the Pug pulls out screwdriver, I'm hit for 232 hps and dead. What exactly does Berzerk do and when is a good time to use it?
      It raises your attack power, but lowers your defense. Also, the act of using job abilities in a mob's presence creates hate, which is possibly why you got the mobs attention. Assuming, of course, that you weren't tanking in the first place.
      sigpic

Comment

Berserk raises attack by 25% and lowers defense by 25%. You'll generally not want to use it when you're tanking, but it's good when you're doing pure damage-dealing as long as it doesn't make you strip hate off the tank.
        Ellipses on Fenrir
        There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
        . . .

Comment

Even though the in-game menus already explain what berserk does, you can also look stuff like this up at FFXIClopedia. No more need for entire threads dedicated to easily solvable questions.
          Last edited by Ameroth; 07-31-2008, 09:17 AM.

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
          ------
          Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
          When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

I was tanking and definitly trying to get his attention off the mages with little hp left and trying to get him down soon. So In the future berzerk is something that should be planned out with tank, or co-tank and the healer before using? Should I use dodge immediately after using Berzerk?

Comment

Use Dodge whenever you're going to be getting hate. If you're going to use Berserk to try and get hate, use it, and then as soon as the mob is focused on you, turn it off. (How you cancel a buff depends on your platform; you hit your switch window button twice to get to your row of buffs, move to the one in question, and hit your confirm button).
              Ellipses on Fenrir
              There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
              . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Ameroth View Post
                Even though the in-game menus already explain what berzerk does, you can also look stuff like this up at FFXIClopedia. No more need for entire threads dedicated to easily solvable questions.
                Exactly what is a forum for? Asking questions and receiving answers. If you don't wish to respond to the question, that is your choice and please feel free not to. But also refrain from responding to people as if their questions are not worthy of attention, just ignore the thread. If you'd like to discuss this further, please feel free to PM a staff member.
                Originally posted by Feba
                But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                Originally posted by Taskmage
                God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                Originally posted by DakAttack
                ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellipses View Post
                  Use Dodge whenever you're going to be getting hate. If you're going to use Berserk to try and get hate, use it, and then as soon as the mob is focused on you, turn it off. (How you cancel a buff depends on your platform; you hit your switch window button twice to get to your row of buffs, move to the one in question, and hit your confirm button).
                  Sorry, I need a little clarification...

Use Berzerk kind of like provoke? Use Dodge right after? Then turn Berzerk off?

I'm on a PC and have a xbox360 controller.

Wouldn't provoke be the skill to use to get the mobs attention then? Instead of Berzerk? Although sometimes my provoke is ignored by the mob, so that's when I would want to use Berzerk?

Comment

Assuming you're on the hate list, any job ability or spell will accumulate hate. So if you are tanking, using Berserk will probably get hate on the mob.
                    ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Wouldn't provoke be the skill to use to get the mobs attention then? Instead of Berzerk? Although sometimes my provoke is ignored by the mob, so that's when I would want to use Berzerk?
                      Not quite, Provoke is your main hate tool, although if you lose hate and and provoke is down you can use beserk as a tool to gain more hate. When the mob is facing you again cancel berserk so you dont get hit while your defense is down.
                      sigpic

Comment

That's not a good skill to use. An useless one. Use this only when you fight a weak enemy and try to spare your time. You'd better escape from the overwhelming opponent...

Comment

If you're tanking, use Provoke constantly. Also use Boost constantly, every time it's up. Use Dodge whenever there's a monster around (it doesn't make sense to use it when there isn't one and have the timer running out).

If you're tanking, and you're going to use Berserk to try and get more hate (not as the only hate tool), use it and then turn it off. But between Provoke and Boost, the situations where Berserk will actually turn the mob around off a mage are pretty rare. Generally, when tanking, I'd say just don't use it at all. But if you want to try and use it for hate (once again, in addition to everything else you do for hate), this is how I would do it.
                          Ellipses on Fenrir
                          . . .

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                            If you'd like to discuss this further, please feel free to PM a staff member.
                            No, thanks. Nothing to discuss. I stand by my post.

-------------------------

Wouldn't provoke be the skill to use to get the mobs attention then? Instead of Berserk? Although sometimes my provoke is ignored by the mob, so that's when I would want to use Berserk?
                            Provoke will be the main job ability to get a mobs attention quickly, yes. Berserk may not always do the trick for grabbing hate at first. Usually, under the effects of berserk though, you can re-establish hate because your attacks will get stronger. If you are not the tank however, use berserk with discretion at times when the tank seems to have a pretty good control over the mob. Remember, hate control is not only the tank's responsibility, you as a DD (damage-dealer) are responsible for not constantly hammering the mob and pulling hate, wasting MP for curing, and the tank's hate control tools.

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
                            ------
                            Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
                            When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

Ok, I get it now... thanks! Yea seems that it isn't really useful

Comment

Working...
                              X