Would a War/BLU or War/RDM be ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would a War/BLU or War/RDM be ok?

Ok so I need to get me war to lvl 37 so I can use it for my soon to be Ninja and so I can become a PLD. I really, really dont want to have to level another job before I can level the job so I can level the job o_0 lol, so the only other job I have that is feasible to be a sub is either my BLU or my RDM? Would it be ok if I use those?

Re: Would a War/BLU or War/RDM be ok?

WAR/BLU is discussed here: http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/war...questions.html

WAR/RDM: The only time this is good is in a bad party--one lacking (competent) healers. You'd need juices to make it work, and WAR/WHM would be even better.

I've had one terrific WAR/WHM in party. That's the total number, from three years of playing. Odds are, you won't impress as WAR/RDM.
    Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
    yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
    Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
    leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

RDM is already bad as a sub. Subbing it to a job with no native spellcasting makes it worse. I don't have enough experience with BLU to know if it's the same way or not.

RDM 75/WHM 38/BLM 37/DRK 37/NIN 37/PLD 37 -- Cooking 96.7+1
      Image by Askannyi
      LoneGamer.net

Comment

Monk is the preferable starter sub for war. Getting mnk to 20 should be straightforward, from there you can switch from war/mnk to mnk/war at your leisure.

Comment

Let's put it this way- If you're ASKING if a nonstandard job combo is good, you're too inexperienced to make it good. The cookie cutter is popular for a reason- it works.

Comment

Subbing a mage job without any skill from the main job in the same spells just doesn't do any good offensively. It CAN be somewhat effective healing and defensively, but it's going to be difficult with so little MP. If you're going to be levelling NIN anyway, why not do so now, then sub it? Nobody ever minds a WAR/NIN come level 24 ... and before that, you just need MNK 12.

Comment

Originally posted by bri360 View Post
              Ok so I need to get me war to lvl 37 so I can use it for my soon to be Ninja and so I can become a PLD. I really, really dont want to have to level another job before I can level the job so I can level the job o_0 lol, so the only other job I have that is feasible to be a sub is either my BLU or my RDM? Would it be ok if I use those?
              This is very confusing. If you already have BLU ready to sub, the issue isn't getting a job to 30 so you can unlock stuff like PLD and NIN.

If you're goal is 75 PLD/NIN (which is what your post sounds like), then that means you need to get NIN to 37. And that means you need WAR to 18. However, PLD/NIN isn't all that good until end game. So you'll need WAR as a subjob for PLD.

To take WAR to 37, you'd only have to level a 4th job up to 18. If that's too much of a hardship for you, then just go back and forth between leveling as WAR/NIN and NIN/WAR as the need arises. And when you go as WAR/NIN, stick to a GAxe. Axe/Axe really isn't going to buy you all that much.

/NIN isn't the optimal way to do WAR from 1 to 37. But it'll probably do far better than /BLU or /RDM.
              Lyonheart
              lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
              Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
              Fishing 60

Lakiskline
              Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
              Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
              Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
              Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

Originally posted by LyonheartLakshmi View Post
                This is very confusing. If you already have BLU ready to sub, the issue isn't getting a job to 30 so you can unlock stuff like PLD and NIN.

If you're goal is 75 PLD/NIN (which is what your post sounds like), then that means you need to get NIN to 37. And that means you need WAR to 18. However, PLD/NIN isn't all that good until end game. So you'll need WAR as a subjob for PLD.

To take WAR to 37, you'd only have to level a 4th job up to 18. If that's too much of a hardship for you, then just go back and forth between leveling as WAR/NIN and NIN/WAR as the need arises. And when you go as WAR/NIN, stick to a GAxe. Axe/Axe really isn't going to buy you all that much.

/NIN isn't the optimal way to do WAR from 1 to 37. But it'll probably do far better than /BLU or /RDM.
                Well what I am trying to do is get a War up to level 37 so I can use it as my subjob for getting Ninja to level 37 (my nin is currently 1) and use my War also for my PLD's subjob. I diddnt want to have to level another job to 18 just to level a war but I guess I have to. >.> Thanks for the help everyone.

Comment

Just to put things into some perspective...

- Taking a job from level 1 to level 18 takes a total of 39,750 exp (this is what you'd have to put into a "4th" job).
                  - Taking a job from level 1 to level 37 takes a total of 143,250 exp (which is what you'll need to put into WAR and NIN each).
                  - Taking a job from level 74 to 75 takes a total of 42,000 exp.

Just one level at the very end will take more exp than taking a job from 1 to 18. The last 18 levels (from 58 to 75) takes 504,400 exp.

Granted, parties at higher levels can get faster exp than at low levels. But until you get into those crazy level 75 merit parties, it's still only about twice as fast in the 70s as it was during the previous levels (from my experience, anyways). And PLD isn't one of the preferred jobs for those 25k per hour parties.

In other words, getting a job from level 1 to 18 really isn't all that much work, when you compare it to what you're going to end up having to endure.
                  Lyonheart
                  lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
                  Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
                  Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                  Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
                  Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
                  Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
                  Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

If you are going to WAR/BLU, I guess you are going for Cocoon's 50% Defense Bonus?

Note: Since Cocoon is level 8 BLU spell, WAR/BLU gets it at level 16.

I never try or seen any WAR/BLU in exp. parties, so I won't make comment of its performance as a tank. However Cocoon is only useful for mitigation. If the mob is attacking you, Cocoon can be useful. If the mob is not attacking you, Cocoon is useless. In order words, if you are invited as DD in party, then WAR/BLU is not very useful. If WAR/BLU is invited as a tank, Cocoon is useful if and only if the WAR/BLU can hold hate.
                    Last edited by Celeal; 07-16-2007, 05:08 AM.
                    Server: Quetzalcoatl
                    Race: Hume Rank 7
                    75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

Originally posted by Celeal View Post
                      Note: Since Cocoon is level 8 BLU spell, WAR/BLU gets it at level 18.
                      8 * 2 = 16

^_^;

Everything else is spot on, though.
                      Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                      yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                      Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                      leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

okay... (' A ')

Edited the number~
                        Server: Quetzalcoatl
                        Race: Hume Rank 7
                        75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

Originally posted by LoneGamer View Post
                          RDM is already bad as a sub. Subbing it to a job with no native spellcasting makes it worse. I don't have enough experience with BLU to know if it's the same way or not.
                          rdm is a bad sub?

I mean, it sure sucks for most melee/mage setups, but not any more so than /blm /whm /smn etc. (in party situations)

for drg: /rdm is better than /whm if all you need is healing breath triggers.

for mages: /rdm is a fine choice, dispel and fast cast are both attractive options for whm and blm, and bard can benefit from fast cast as well (since it affects songs). it's not as obviously versatile as /whm, but it's not like it's *bad* just because you don't get convert out of it. etc.
                          Grant me wings so I may fly;
                          My restless soul is longing.
                          No Pain remains no Feeling~
                          Eternity Awaits.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                            Let's put it this way- If you're ASKING if a nonstandard job combo is good, you're too inexperienced to make it good. The cookie cutter is popular for a reason- it works.
                            Effing brilliant.
                            "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

Well I gave in lol, im training my MNK to lvl 18 so I can use it for my war. So far ive learned that MNk solo's soo much better and faster than a war lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X