Scythe's for a warrior?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scythe's for a warrior?

I have currently switched over from wow to ffxi and I have read that axes and great axes are the best way to go with a war but i am going to take the adv. job of a drk. what is the best way to go? and what is a good sub job for a drk?

Thank you,

Deth

Re: Scythe's for a warrior?

Your subjob for DRK will, at least for a lot of your career be WAR, but you'll also need THF and NIN at least.

As far as the best way to go with WAR when you intend to play DRK later? G.Axe. Always go with your current main jobs best weapons, and for WAR thats Great Axe until later when you'll have access to some better single handed axe weaponskills and dual wield from a NIN sub. You'll be using Great Swords and Scythes as a DRK, they'll skill up then.
    I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Welcome to Vana'diel

Dark Knight's have access to many weapon types, and the best Dark Knights use several. Each weapon is situational, but you will most often be making your choice based on the weapon skills it provides.

I highly suggest Googling the FFXIclopedia Wiki. Bookmark that site and the FFXI Somepage site. They both contain tons of valuable information. Other good sites are the FFXI Auction House and the FFXI Atlas sites. I'm sorry I cannot provide links with this account.

Dark Knight Weapon Skills By Weapon (some of the best weapon skills):
      Great Axe (Lv3+ DRK) - Shield Break (Reduces enemy's evasion by 20%)
      Great Axe (Lv24+ DRK) - Sturmwind (Delivers a two-hit attack)
      Axe (Lv56+ DRK) - Rampage (Delivers a five-hit attack, six-hit with dual wield)
      Great Sword (Lv60+ DRK) - Sickle Moon (Delivers a two-hit attack)
      Scythe (Lv60+ DRK) - Guillotine (Delivers a four-hit attack)

Dark Knight Subjobs (some of the abilities you gain):
      Warrior - Provides Provoke (Lv10+ DRK), Berserk (Lv30+ DRK), and Double Attack (Lv50+ DRK)
      Ninja - Provides Dual Wield (Lv20+ DRK) and Utsusemi: Ichi (Lv 24+ DRK)
      Thief - Provides Sneak Attack (Lv30+ DRK) and Trick Attack (Lv60+ DRK)

Like Mhurron said, use Great Axe with Warrior. Your party will thank you.

Also please don't go without using food. You can buy Sausage in the tavern in the Bastok Metalworks for 162 gil each and they improve your attack by 27%, STR by 3, and HP by 23 for 30 minutes.

Have Fun!

Characters: Ryoii/Nonomii
      Server: Lakshmi

P.S. - I completely agree with Ziero's suggestion below and with LionheartLakshmi on using Great Axe on DRK too.
      Last edited by Ryoii/Nonomii; 06-15-2007, 12:12 PM.

Comment

The best advice I can give is use the best weapon your job can use while you are playing that job. For war that means using Gaxe mainly. Not only do they have better stats with Gaxe, they get access to all the best Gaxes and Gaxe Weapon Skills. The scythe choices for war are subpar at best, and the low lvl weapon skills are fairly weak.

The best way to become a Drk IMO is to use the following path.

First lvl Mnk to 18. This is because Mnk is a very easy, fairly cheap starting job. It will allow you to lvl up to 18 quickly and effectively while giving you time to learn the basics. You'll be used as a DD and DD only because really, there's not much else a Mnk can do at those lvls.

Then, you can lvl War to 30-37, while subbing Mnk all the way. This one is your choice really as you can stop at 30 and become a Drk then or take war to 37 and never have to lvl it again. You can also start skilling up Gsword and Scythe while farming or soloing or, if kept near cap, with acceptance from your pt in exp situations. Though you should mainly focus on Gaxe first and foremost at this point.

At this point, you have access to become a Drk with a fully lvled sub in War. For much of the game /war is the best sub for Drk so having it lvled helps out a lot. But other good subs for Drk are Sam and Thf, which should be lvled sometime before reaching 60 Drk.

Now a lot of Drks nowadays also sub /nin, but this is best in endgame situations. So though it may be useful and fun pre 70, it's not something that should be your main focus. In order of most importance, I would list the best subs for Drk as War, Thf, Sam/Nin, as each are highly situational, but war covers all those situations the best.
        "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Don't use the wrong weapon for the wrong job. Your primary weapon skills for each job will go up just fine all on their own (Dark Knight's a bit sticky because there are two weapons which can be switched between depending on level range, but it doesn't take long to get "caught up").

Under no circumstances should you use a weapon your current job doesn't have good skill in without an overwhelmingly good reason.

Use Axes/Great Axes while levelling Warrior, then switch to Great Sword/Scythe when you switch to Dark Knight. There's plenty of time to get those skills up.

Icemage

Comment

Strangely enough, some DRKs stick to GAxe at lower levels, before the skill gap really starts to impact them negatively for not using either Scythe or GSword. Shield Break and Sturmwind are just that good.

So if DRKs think GAxe is worth using early on, what does that tell you about what a WAR should be using?
            Lyonheart
            lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
            Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
            Fishing 60

Lakiskline
            Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
            Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
            Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
            Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

Thanks for the help guys!!!!
              PS. I'm only lvl 5 and i can already see that this game is fare better then wow will ever be. /woot

Comment

Stick to Great Axe on WAR, you won't regret it. In fact, you may end up using it on DRK for the first little while.

That said, if you manage to cap your great axe skill and haven't hit your next level yet, try skilling up Greatsword. WAR has a pretty decent rating on it, and more importantly, you have to use what I deem the *worst* weapon in the game to unlock DRK and having greatsword skilled up even a little really helps.

You'll want THF sub for levels 60+ So you can use Sneak Attack + Trick Attack with a weaponskill (most notably Spinning Slash) to deal insane damage and plant all the hate on someone else (hopefully the tank). It also helps for farming.

NIN is more situational and is more of a mission/merit subjob. I wouldn't worry about it too much right now. WAR and THF will be your main subs, along with SAM.

SAM doesn't really shine until 60, but by then you'll have Meditate, Hasso and Store TP II to help you out. A lot of DRK still swear by WAR sub though.

The hardest part of DRK is going to be keeping your skills capped. Specializing in two two-handed weapons is a serious pain, and you probably won't be able to keep them both capped during EXP after a while so you'll need to join skill up parties on the side every now and then.

Then you've got your magic skills. Dark Magic is your biggest concern, and isn't terribly hard to cap, but enfeebling and elemental will be tricky. You might want to try BLM or RDM on the side if you ever feel like taking a break from DRK to cap your magic skills.

Dark Magic is the only skill you really need capped, but the other two certainly help. A magic burst now and then or a Sleep (if solo or the other mages get resisted) can prove vital at times.
                sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Working...
                X