Axe+Axe or Sword+Axe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axe+Axe or Sword+Axe?

Just a wee bit curious here. I'd say about 99% of the time I see War/nin using the good 'ol axe/axe combo at 50+.

Most often they use dual Viking Axes, or maybe use Viking Axe+Darksteel Axe, maybe a Darksteel+1, but that is the common setup.

I was wondering the pros and cons of that, vs using say, a Viking Axe and offhand either a Tactician Magiacian's Espadon, or a Wise Wizard's Anelance.

Just a bit curious because I see Viking Axes being used for a very long time, which I can understand because of the +acc bonus, but I'm a bit surprised I don't see some Axe+Sword combos a bit earlier, like a Combat Caster's Axe/Scimitar, +att, +acc, seems good to me.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Re: Axe+Axe or Sword+Axe?

Darksteal axe has a higher dmg rating than the viking so will do more dmg in ws's by quiet a bit usually. Offhand the viking is just to make sure you hit the ws (+acc) as the offhands dmg rating has nothing to do with the ws.
    75 Mnk Sam | 70 Drk | 40 Blm | 37 Nin Rng Thf War
    Woodworking 91.9+2
    ZM:Complete CoP:Complete ToAU:27

Comment

It takes an exceptional Sword to be worth offhanding in place of a strong Axe, unless you have sword merits already from another level 75 job.

I used TM Espadon +1/+2 for a long time as an offhand weapon (well, I used it to cap sword, and switched to offhanding an axe for the rest of the level). The DPS on TM Espadon +1/+2 is actually higher than some of the axes considered preferable for that level range. Without sword merits though, you automatically start in the hole due to less attack and accuracy. TM Espadon potentially makes up for that with the +attack which also gets applied to your main hand weapon.

For an offhand sword, I went from TM Espadon +1/+2 to Espadon +1 to Company Sword. If I had a Joyeuse, I'd be using that rather than Company Sword.
      Lyonheart
      lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
      Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
      Fishing 60

Lakiskline
      Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
      Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
      Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
      Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

Most swords +50 are quite exceptional and beat out other weapons for DMG/sec by a fair margin. Problem is the skill gap. If you have Sword merits, it's a good idea no doubt. If not, well, it depends on the level, the weapons in question, and how much skill you lose. From 50-60 T.M. Espadon +2 is good for its ridiculous DMG/sec, +12 Attack, and the fact that the skill ranks are still pretty close.

Comment

Most swords +50 are quite exceptional and beat out other weapons for DMG/sec by a fair margin.
          And sadly the only job that can truly take advantage of this is a tank ; ;
          sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

And DD Rdm!
            There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
            but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
            transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Well, at level 50, the skill gap between Axe (A-) and Sword (B) for WAR is 6. If you choose to use TM Espadon, you're giving up about 6 accuracy, but gaining 6 attack (-6 from the skill gap, +12 from TM Espadon).

If you've got other +acc gear and you're eating sushi, trading 6 acc to get 6 attack may not necessarily be a bad thing. It all depends on your build, and what you need more: the accuracy or the attack.
              Lyonheart
              lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
              Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
              Fishing 60

Lakiskline
              Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
              Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
              Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
              Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

The only "exceptional" Swords typically aren't equippable for rdm (or blu, for that matter).

My friend has a peacock charm, so he's gonna use dual "Whatever awesome swords with uber +14 attack" instead of axes 'til 55.
                "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

I've just got myself a Joyeuse today :-). Very nice for my PLD75. I'm also gonna try it off-hand on my WAR75 with eather Woodville's or Maneater main. With 4 sword merits and a Suppanomimi, I'm hoping my damage will be comparable to that of Axe/Axe, but with more regular Rampage opportunities, especially in merit parties against birdies etc.

What do you think?

Comment

I'd recommend Manny mainhand. The added Acc and Atk will serve you better when using a Sword offhand.

Sincerely,
                    Hankthetank
                    75 Pld/War/Nin/Rdm/Thf/Mnk

Comment

Maneater + Joy/Ridill for the win. (i use woodville since i got it for 10k >.>)
                      [FFXI Journal][Pld][War][Nin][Drg][Rng][Brd]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/xsev/orly.jpg

Comment

When I lvld war/nin(was a lvl 60 war) i always had a sword offhand and always did as much damage with my sword as i did my axe. At 55 you can get a bloodsword wich is a incredible sword for a war and all war/nin should wield it offhand if they can.

Axe/Sword ftw!

Comment

Originally posted by The Will View Post
                          When I lvld war/nin(was a lvl 60 war) i always had a sword offhand and always did as much damage with my sword as i did my axe. At 55 you can get a bloodsword wich is a incredible sword for a war and all war/nin should wield it offhand if they can.

Axe/Sword ftw!
                          Yes, but you'll hit more often with the Axe.

Aside from a few standout swords like Joyeuse, Ridill and (occasionally) some of the stronger lower level 1h swords, it's not usually worth your time to off-hand a sword since they're usually weaker than their equivalent level Axe counterparts in damage per second.

Icemage

Comment

Ew Bloodsword...

If you're gonig to use Swords at low levels make it the Bastard Sword class, preferrably HQ of course :p

Warrior TP Warrior WS

Comment

as far as I can tell, the only reason to use Bloodsword is because it's expensive...
                              "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

Working...
                              X