Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maneater and Woodville's - Which to main-hand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maneater and Woodville's - Which to main-hand?

I have both of the above as my choice of weapons for dual-wielding (popular choice, I believe!). Anyway, is it true that you have to have the Maneater in your main hand to trigger its latent effect, or is the latent triggered when it's in either hand? If the hand it's in is irreleveant, then I think I might just swap the Woodville's to my main hand for that 1 extra damage during Rampage.

Re: Maneater and Woodville's - Which to main-hand?

Maneater's latent triggers in both hands. You probably won't see any difference tho switching between Man/Wood.
    There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
    but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
    transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Woodvilles in main hand, not sure why and its too late for me to think about it but I just checked 5 pretty pimped out Wars outside Whitegate Mog house after reading this and they all had it that way.
      75 Mnk Sam | 70 Drk | 40 Blm | 37 Nin Rng Thf War
      Woodworking 91.9+2
      ZM:Complete CoP:Complete ToAU:27

Comment

*Stat buffs will apply to both weapons, regardless of which hand it's being wielded in. The advantage of the main hand is that the base damage of the weapon is used when calculating Weapon Skill damage. Even with latent, Woodville has higher base damage than Maneater. Therefore, going Maneater/Woodville will decrease your WS damage without making any impact on DoT.

General rule of thumb: go for higher base damage in your main hand, and go for higher DPS and/or stat buffs in your off hand.

*note: the only "stat buffs" on an offhand weapon that won't benefit your mainhand weapon is critical hit rate (which will only affect attacks on the actual weapon) and TP Bonus (which will only affect WSs if the weapon with TP Bonus is mainhanded).
        Lyonheart
        lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
        Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
        Fishing 60

Lakiskline
        Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
        Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
        Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
        Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

Thanks all for clearing that up. I will now swap them over safe in the knowledge that the latent will still trigger.

Hehe, this should also help me in a little damage output competition I'm having with a pimped out Taru MNK friend of mine. This is his fifth job to 75 and he has full STR merits and many other maxed merits and some very nice gear, whereas as I'm a Galka WAR, still with no STR merits and this is only my second job to 75....my gear is slowly improving though :-).

P.S. he started it! lol
          Last edited by tuggler; 04-29-2007, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tuggler View Post
            Thanks all for clearing that up. I will now swap them over safe in the knowledge that the latent will still trigger.
            Hehe, this should also help me in a little damage output competition I'm having with a pimped out Taru MNK friend of mine. This is his fifth job to 75 and he has full STR merits and many other maxed merits and some very nice gear, whereas as I'm a Galka WAR, still with no STR merits and this is only my second job to 75....my gear is slowly improving though :-).
            P.S. he started it! lol
            I don't think you should be competeing with your Tarutaru friend

....you should put him on the BBQ and roast him. Nothin says yum like a good ol' taru-kabob!

Also: Highest Dmg in main hand for stronger WS ftw.
            "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Tarukabobs anyone?
              [FFXI Journal][Pld][War][Nin][Drg][Rng][Brd]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/xsev/orly.jpg

Comment

Relax. Rest assured, Taru > all, always
                There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Originally posted by Jei View Post
                  Relax. Rest assured, Taru > all, always

only served over rice with A1 sauce
                  [FFXI Journal][Pld][War][Nin][Drg][Rng][Brd]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/xsev/orly.jpg

Comment

Working...
                  X