Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WAR from 16-20, weapons?

Hi all

So I am currently lvling WAR from 16-20, to cover subs. Depending how how things go I may take it further...

Currently using the Moth GAxe. I have noticed that after dual wield becomes available, most WARs I have seen sub /nin and DW hand axes.

I'm guessing this shouldnt really be done before DW is available? I am subbing MNK right now for higher dmg output. But I HATE GAxe. Yes, it does wonderful DMG - but it so damn slow! Guess I am noticing it more after playing with Daggers on RDM :p

I am quite impressed though. 1-14 was unbearable but 15-16 is becoming more fun, if not just a tad boring. I was getting 30-40 with Berserk on IT Flys, whist the 18 NIN I was with was doing 5-10 per hit on them. Yes, was being PL'ed :p

Re: WAR from 16-20, weapons?

Great Axes beat Axes from 1-40 any day of the week, no questions asked, Dual Wield or otherwise. At 40 Axes start to have good DMG/sec (C.C. Axes), but they still don't compare to Great Axe WS. The thing is Shield Break: giving the mob -40 evasion is ridiculously powerful. Better than any buff you'll encounter at those levels. Arguably better than landing a Sturmwind, as well. AND it'll let you (or the THF or RNG) land Acid Bolts much easier.

But, you're correct. Dual Axes are lackluster until later on, so single-wielded they're even more mediocre.

Comment

Don't be afraid to use an axe without dual wield.

If you can't be bothered to skill it up, keep using GAxe. Dual wield before 48 is rather pointless, as the delay is all kinds of ick. When I was that level, I used axe/shield with /mnk sub to tank. Then again, since you're being PL'd, it doesn't matter too much in any case.

Just don't do something goofy like get a polearm or greatsword.

Comment

Delay isn't an issue when dual wielding; Great Axe is just as slow. However, it's still 10% faster than single-wielding an axe, and it still makes your Raging Axes do 50% more damage. That's why in terms of damage output, single wielding an axe is very mediocre.

Great Sword can be ok if you REALLY need to open Distortion, and Polearm can be ok if you really need to open Distortion AND you're going to fight flyers. The difference between an A skill and a B skill isn't anywhere nearly pronounced enough at those levels to make a huge difference. However, you'd better be opening one hell of a spectacular Distortion with powerful MBs on something that's weak to ice for you to pass up Shield Break.

Comment

Wow thanks, didnt know about Shield Break - I thought it was just a weak ass WS lol.

I was being PL'ed only last night as I had the offer. The rest of the levels will be party.

So now, I'll open my first WS as SB.

I was planning on getting a xbow and some cheap bolts + acid bolts tonight as it goes. Skill up on cheap bolts while LFP so hopefully by the time I get invite I can use the status bolt. I cant remember the last time - if any - I saw a THF or RNG use them, so ill use them myself.

Comment

Another thing - does using Boost before busting out a WS really make a difference?

When the Berserk timer was up I would check for TP, then Berserk - Boost - Iron Tempest

Dont know whether that Boost really makes a diffeence lol

Comment

Yes, it does. Boost is a 12.5% (* number of Boosts) Attack buff. You're getting half a Berserk for free.

Also, stay away from Iron Tempest. It does the same damage as Shield Break, without the absurdly awesome -40 Evasion. The only difference is that Iron Tempest is Scission, which means it can close Distortion, but it's definitely not going to put out any impressive numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando
                Delay isn't an issue when dual wielding; Great Axe is just as slow. However, it's still 10% faster than single-wielding an axe, and it still makes your Raging Axes do 50% more damage. That's why in terms of damage output, single wielding an axe is very mediocre.
                You will do more damage with two swings of an axe, than one swing of the greataxe.

Comment

Stay the course and use Great Axe. As Armando said, Shield Break is a godsend. Stick to /MNK until 30 (Unless you have /RNG available for +10 accuracy) then once you hit 30, go /THF and watch the numbers fly with SA Sturwmind, especially if you can convince the party to open Fragmentation for you.

Ah, good times.
                  sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Taermus View Post
                    You will do more damage with two swings of an axe, than one swing of the greataxe.
                    That really depends on what axe (or which two axes) and what GAxe. And on what mob you're fighting. And on your gear/food setup.

And depending on the Axes and GAxes involved, you may have lower overall delay with GAxe than you would with dual wielded Axes. This impacts DoT. And how much damage the WSs involved do also affects DoT.

I think saying 2 swings of Axe > 1 swing of GAxe is an oversimplification.
                    Lyonheart
                    lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
                    Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
                    Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                    Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
                    Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
                    Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
                    Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

Only if your Axes' combined DMG exceeds your Great Axe's, and even then, not by much. Either way, there's just no arguing with Shield Break.

SA Sturmwind can be either wonderful or very dangerous, depending on your tank and whether or not you can close a Skillchain + MB with it. Gauge your hate well; a tank with weak hate-holding abilities could lead to you being an MP sponge. Consider SA Shield Break as well. It puts out some pretty nice numbers, still gets the debuff done, is less likely to kill you, and you can use it to close Fusion/Impaction.

Comment

Later on when you're talking lvl 55+, then probably yes, early on? Highyl depends.

It puts out some pretty nice numbers, still gets the debuff done, is less likely to kill you, and you can use it to close Fusion/Impaction.
                        I think all the break WS except for Full Break close fusion/impaction, which is fine, you just have to find someone who is willing to do that instead of distortion.

And as Armando said, watch the hate line, SA+Sturmwind is powerfull for it's level.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

Thanks guys. I dont think I will SA anything yet, as THF is 1 lol. By the time I get that lvled, I may well be past this stage, but Ill still keep in mind.

Comment

The gap between DW Axe and G.Axe is not too noticeable if you do WAR/SAM using Hasso. I had done that in my last party, and it is fairly interesting.

It is true that DW II delay is lower than Hasso. However, DW reduces the TP gain per swing as well, while Hasso does not change the the TP gain per swing. On top of that, /SAM has Store-TP, plus 2-handed weapon has more TP per hit compare to 1-handed weapon.

For weapons at Dunes level, I suggest to bring both Axe and G.Axe to party. You never know if you would like to level WAR past 37 in the future, and it is a pain in the butt to skill up weapons outside of exp. parties.
                            Server: Quetzalcoatl
                            Race: Hume Rank 7
                            75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

My plans were to skill up my weapons - Throw, Ranged, and other weapons while lfp, That way I solve my everlasting dilemma of "what shall I do while LFP" issue

Comment

Working...
                              X