effective tanking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: effective tanking

Get a crossbow, skill it up and shoot the puller.

Then find one who knows what he's doing.

Comment

A good peice of equipment to use would be the Cach-nez give you low def becasue its a lvl 1 mask but it gives you +2 Enmity. I used this when I lvled Drg thru the dunes incases the Blm over nuked and got hate i'd swap this in and voke, take a few hits then main tank could voke and get it off me. Since at that time lvl10-21 i was wearing the same or similar gear as the tank.

Keeping Purgonorgo Isle clothing optional sine 2004

Comment

Originally posted by TehTyr View Post
        The reason the dunes are so popular is the ability for people to make mistakes there with minimal repercussions. The first 20 levels mean nothing.
        Actually, I feel the first 20-30 lvls mean everything. It's where you learn, or should learn, how to function in a party and in your job. Basic party functions like 'don't voke pull' or 'don't over nuke' are taught in the dunes, so when you have people doing it at lvl 60+ that means they weren't exactly paying attention. It's better to learn those lessons when you do have minimal repercussions as opposed to later in life while that giant dragon one shots the over zealous taru mage.

As for the op, you have done nothing wrong. My only suggestions to you are 1) get bone gear(though judging by your post I'm going to assume you were already working on that) and 2) level Mnk. War has a hard time tanking with no sub as it only has two hate tools, but Mnk doesn't need to tank so it's easier to level without a sub. Once mnk is 18 you can go back to war and watch your tanking ability increase drastically. It's, as mentioned before, also good for taking War to 37. If you plan on being *any* kind of front end melee or tank job, you'll need war to 37, so doing it early can easily help.

Also, Great Axe. It's a wonderful thing.
        "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

I'm gonna chime in here because I got WAR up to 19 with out any subjob and never had a problem. I don't have any specific tips to keep hate but I do know that if you are provoking the mob and every body else does their job hate shouldn't be a problem. All you really need do is provoke whenever it is available and this should keep enough hate through out the fight. Try to work with your party to ensure they know what will and will not work. As a WAR you have a huge amount of pull, whole parties die if a WAR can't keep hate and this gives you a lot of power.
          -The Last Honorable Gamer -

Notice: If I ask any thing stupid or it seems like I haven't done any research it's because I'm at work bored. Also while at work I can't access sites such as Allakazham or Somepage.

Comment

Considering he started the thread six weeks ago, the issue is probably long settled for him by now. This is all good advice for anyone starting out though I suppose.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

For any beginner tank WAR, PLD & NIN from lvl 1-20 i would sugest to invest in some Enmity gear. theres a lvl 1 visor with Enmity+2 theres a variety of foods with Enmity+ in it...Researching the job, foods and gear before hand is always a good thing...

Comment

I've never understood how anyone who might possibly be in a position to pull wouldn't come to a party equipped with even the lowest possible bow/arrows, crossbow/bolts, etc. just in case. Any time I level a melee job other than Ninja or Paladin, I bring some freaking arrows along. Just seems like common sense to me.
                sigpic
                ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Malevolent View Post
                  For any beginner tank WAR, PLD & NIN from lvl 1-20 i would sugest to invest in some Enmity gear. theres a lvl 1 visor with Enmity+2 theres a variety of foods with Enmity+ in it...Researching the job, foods and gear before hand is always a good thing...
                  Cache-nez is relatively expensive for a new player.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

I agree with Aksannyi. I have never gone to a pt without a tool to use for pulling mobs. I think I have pulled with every job I have lvled in a pt so far, to include whm.

As far as the OP if you have someone in your pt that is pulling with voke and you are suppose to be the tank you need to pull and tank, ask him to pull another way, and if he chooses not to let him die and he will learn his leason really quickly.

Created by Eohmer
                    IT'S NOT THE SIZE OF THE BST IN THE FIGHT, BUT THE SIZE OF THE FIGHT IN THE BST!

Comment

Originally posted by Aksannyi View Post
                      I've never understood how anyone who might possibly be in a position to pull wouldn't come to a party equipped with even the lowest possible bow/arrows, crossbow/bolts, etc. just in case. Any time I level a melee job other than Ninja or Paladin, I bring some freaking arrows along. Just seems like common sense to me.
                      i can understand that and i can understand the player who "i can't afford it and i don't want to spend the whole day farming or runing back and forth on quests to get the gil to buy bows and arrows....". Later on i would deem it very impairative to equip such things...

Comment

Originally posted by eticket109 View Post
                        Cache-nez is relatively expensive for a new player.
                        it is sometimes...i've seen it go for 2k-200k

Comment

Originally posted by Aksannyi View Post
                          i use bomb core on war but since im a ninja i always have an ele spell for pulling... granted its a slow and horrible way to pull but it works lol.
                          [FFXI Journal][Pld][War][Nin][Drg][Rng][Brd]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/xsev/orly.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Ziero View Post
                            Actually, I feel the first 20-30 lvls mean everything. It's where you learn, or should learn, how to function in a party and in your job. Basic party functions like 'don't voke pull' or 'don't over nuke' are taught in the dunes, so when you have people doing it at lvl 60+ that means they weren't exactly paying attention. It's better to learn those lessons when you do have minimal repercussions as opposed to later in life while that giant dragon one shots the over zealous taru mage.
                            The first 20 levels mean nothing - in the greater scheme of things. You can die as much as you want, you can get parties almost daily, and there's always someone there to tell you how to do your job.

At level 30+, if someone can't do their job, I will find someone who can. I don't want to be beating up mobs all night just because someone makes a noob mistake they should of corrected 10 levels ago.

Comment

Any WAR tank from 10 to 20 shouldn't need +enmity gear. Just sub MNK.

Any WAR in that level range that doesn't have subjobs unlocked won't have the gil to get +enmity gear. +enmity gear is expensive.
                              Lyonheart
                              lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
                              Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
                              Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                              Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
                              Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
                              Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
                              Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

So did you shoot the puller?

Comment

Working...
                                X