oh my god

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: oh my god

I personally think /nin isn't all that useful until 50 when Dual Wield II is available. I'd probably go /mnk to 30, /mnk or /thf to 50 and /nin from 50 on.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

I meant WAR/MNK. I don't have any advanced jobs. I have no gil. I'm have good gear that was recommanded by others a few spots lacking cause of funds. But i'm taking WAR to 30 so I can do the Samurai quest. And once I hit 30 I will go farming in Windy for Yagudo necklaces for atleast a week and level up Clothcraft for money to support my Samurai job when I get it and WAR for up to 37.

I'm WAR24/MNK12. I had 25 cause I was close to getting it til the party disband so i'm at 24. We was partying in Batallia Downs(sp?) and fighting in the undeground place to Necropolis I think. And we was fighting Sabertooth Tigers. (never died by them). I died 2/4 times with Goblin Furrier. I died in Qufim 2 times by a freaking Pugil cause PL ran out of MP >.>. Then I died by a frigging Giant Sentry in the tower. so I lost about a good 1500-2000 exp ;_;.

Equipment:
      --------------
      Gear Slots:
      MAIN: Moth Axe
      SUB: No Item
      RANGE: Self Bow (Don't ask, Money issues again)
      AMMO: Bone arrows(^^)
      HEAD: Iron Mask
      NECK: Spike Necklace
      EAR1: Shield Earring
      EAR2: Shield Earring
      BODY: Chainmail
      HANDS: Lizard Gloves
      RING1: Empress Band
      RING2: Courage Ring +1
      BACK: Dhalmel Mantle
      WAIST: Barbarian's Belt
      LEGS: Lizard Trousers
      FEET: Scale Greaves
      Last edited by Kiryn; 02-01-2007, 07:08 PM.

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
      Final Fantasy 7

Comment

Funny... I have had 0 deaths leveling my WAR from 1 - 31 as a Tarutaru... main tanking or not. Don't blame it on the fact that he's a Taru, blame probably lies with his support.

Comment

At your level, you can't really do anything really.... No matter how good you are, no matter what sub you use, if

1) you fight monsters too high for your level
          or
          2) the members in the PT doesn't know what they're doing

then you'll die. Plain and simple.

At your level, your survivability replies mainly on the healer, and some on the other provoker to help share your hate. There's not much you can do on your own.

22-24 ideally I like to fight fish. But without a good healer, screwdriver can and will kill you if you're the main tank.

24+ I like to go straight to Kazam. I hate giants in the tower.
          There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
          but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
          transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

To OP, sounds like the five death thing was that you had a bad day. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Originally posted by Kiryn View Post
            Equipment:
            --------------
            Gear Slots:
            MAIN: Moth Axe
            SUB: No Item
            RANGE: Self Bow (Don't ask, Money issues again)
            AMMO: Bone arrows(^^)
            HEAD: Iron Mask
            NECK: Spike Necklace
            EAR1: Shield Earring
            EAR2: Shield Earring
            BODY: Chainmail
            HANDS: Lizard Gloves
            RING1: Empress Band
            RING2: Courage Ring +1
            BACK: Dhalmel Mantle
            WAIST: Barbarian's Belt
            LEGS: Lizard Trousers
            FEET: Scale Greaves
            Even for Tarutaru, I'd change from Shield Earring to Beetle Earring +1 when not tanking. I would sell the Courage Ring +1, and get two regular Courage Rings instead for playing as DD, as well as two Stamina Rings for playing as tank. (You can use the Empress Band before starting, then switch to Courage or Stamina Ring after you use it.)

You should either upgrade legs to Chain Hose now, or wait until next level and upgrade to Republic Subligar. There isn't anything too terrible interesting for the feet slot at the moment, but try to quest the Lv.29 Wonder Clomps as soon as you can.
            Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
            yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
            Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
            leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Gear looks fine to me. The slots that are deficient don't matter much at this level anyway. The only note I'd make is that you don't need to keep the Empress Band equipped after you activate it - the EXP+ Dedication effect stays with you even if you unequip the ring, so definitely take IfritnoItazura's advice about the Courage+1 ring above.

Icemage

Comment

Thank you for the helper guys. I'm surprised you didn't laugh at the equipment I had .

I tried selling everything I had to make money off of but none of my items sell, even below price ;_;

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
                Final Fantasy 7

Comment

Items not selling below price? Say thanks to the RMTs for that one possibly.

If you need a decent way to make money though there are a couple of things you can try:

1.) Fish for Moat Carp. They're usually a quick seller for a few thousand gil and they're dead easy to catch regardless of your fishing skill.

2.) Farm Saplings for Grain Seeds. Grain Seeds used to be a crud item. Then SE introduced Sushi and Grain Seeds can grow an essential part of it so now they sell pretty decently (17k a stack on Pandy). They drop reasonably often off low level saplings that you can kill quick and easy as a Warrior. For added fun kill the bees that are usually around too for Honey and Beehive chips which also sell well.

Comment

Self bow / bone arrows are fine for the ranged attack slots. As a WAR, you can't rely on ranged attacks for consistent damage anyways (it will only slow down your normal melee swings, which will be efficient).

The only reason you'll need ranged attacks at all is for pulling. And for that, I recommend getting the cheapest boomerang you can find. You can use the same boomerang over and over again (you'll never lose it). It'll end up taking up less space in your inventory, and you'll save gil over time.
                    Lyonheart
                    lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
                    Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
                    Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                    Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
                    Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
                    Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
                    Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

Your gear is okay. You have the options to upgrade better gear if you can afford it, but at this moment your gear can handle basic tanking or DD. My advice is start battle with Shield Break, and safe TP for next battle (Shield Break again). The purpose for Shield Break is to improve your accuracy (and your party's DDs accuracy).

When DD, use attack food for DD and Shield Break.

When tanking, Shield Break + attack food + Defender for tanking. Provoke -> Boost -> Boost -> Provoke -> Boost -> Boost -> ... (until the mob dies)

With Shield Break covers your accuracy, attack food covers your damage output, basically you are good to go :D
                      Server: Quetzalcoatl
                      Race: Hume Rank 7
                      75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

Since gil is an issue then maybe using an Almogavar Bow wont be easy, but Bloody bolts would help the situation a bit (the bow itself is cheap, but bolts can potentially eat too much gil for a new player).

You'd have to work on your marksmanship skill and all that, but if you had it close to cap just using Bloody and Acid Bolts would make things a lot easier.

Also, you wouldn't really need any special food since WAR's skill is good enough to land hits on xp mobs up to crawlers nest.

That being said, for practical purposes you may be better off waiting to attempt this till after you are lvl 30 and farmed some gil to take your war to 37.
                        sigpic
                        "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                        Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

>_> 'D' ranked Marksmanship, firing expensive bolts at IT monsters...

I think it'll be much more cost effective to hound the WHM or RDM in party for Regen instead...
                          Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                          yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                          Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                          leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

From the sounds of it Kiryn, your race as a Tarutaru, the type of monsters your party fights, what your job can do, and what healers you end up with are the prime factors to why you die. Most of these you've already heard about in this topic.

But I'd like to know what it is you normally do in a regular EXP party. Are you provoking often just because? Do you WS at the start of a pull? Stuff like that.

Perhaps even entail details of one particular fight where you ended up dying in.

Some tid bits of info that you may be interested in as a WAR.
                            Altaeciana:75RDM/40BLM/71WHM/40SMN/37NIN/37DRK/40RNG/37WAR
                            Elemental days of our lives . . .:Fire-Earth-Water-Wind-Ice-Thunder-Light-Dark

Comment

I figured I might throw my two cents in:

I'm levelling my WAR in a 3 person static which consists of:
                              WAR/MNK Hume (me)
                              RDM/WHM Elvaan
                              RDM/DRK Mithra
                              All level 53 atm.

There are three major concerns for me, as a tanking WAR:
                              1) Keep the hate.
                              2) Deal maximum damage.
                              3) Reduce damage taken.

To solve all three of these concerns, NIN never even comes close to being useful. It's true that Shadows do help reduce damage, however as the solo tank it is almost impossible to get consistent shadows off, and we all love wasting all that time casting only to be interrupted right near the end, eh?

Setup for me consists of as much VIT gear I can get my hands on (I.M body/Head, unyielding ring, Verve +1, earth mantle, medievil collar), some HP earrings, and a Great Axe. Using gax really helps to keep the hate, and if I want to show off (>.>) I can hold the hate from our RDM/WHM without voke'ing.
                              (/range <t>, /ja "Warcry" <me>, /ja "Dodge" <me>, /ja "Focus" <me>, /ja "Boost" <me>, /ja "Aggressor" <me>, /ja "Boost" <me> /wait 2 /weaponskill "Sturmwind" <t>)

Food consists of Meat Mithkabobs.

IMO, /NIN should be kept for LS's and special occasions, where your PT is full and you have people competent enough to hate share. But even then, it's only useful at 50+ when you get a Dual Wield II if your a DD.

Comment

Originally posted by TehTyr View Post
                                But even then, it's only useful at 50+ when you get a Dual Wield II if your a DD.
                                This comes up a lot but I find it a confusing. The bonus from DW2 is only 15% vs DW1's 10%. So DW1 is a much greater difference from single wielding than DW2 is from DW1.

I switched over to /Nin in the early 40s because it was too easy to draw hate with /Mnk. True I could lay off using the Mnk JAs but then what's the point to having it as a sub? With /Nin I've got 6 hits I can take after pulling hate which is tons of time for the tank to get it back *and* I've got a 10% dmg bonus in form of 10% faster swings from DW1.

Waiting till level 50 so that 10% bonus becomes a 15% bonus just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Now if you want to argue that Wars should be single wielding Great Axes, that's fine, but I find it even easier to pull hate with a G Axe and /Mnk than with a single Axe so there again 6x shadows is a handy thing to have.

The extra cherry on top of /Nin sub is access to Tonko for getting to sight aggro camps.

So, am I missing something here or in a thread where someone's complaining about dying a lot wouldn't /Nin at any level past 24 make a lot of sense to recommend?

Comment

Working...
                                X