Common WAR macros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common WAR macros

I've made a secondary character who is currently a WAR. This is my sort of chill-out character, meant as a breather from my more serious main. Ironically I now use her far more than my main since it's a smoother experience... Anyway, to my question...

I've seen a lot of WARs do a macro that announces how long it is till they can next use Provoke.

(a) Is this seen as a must-do thing, or is it "merely" a good idea?
    (b) Is there a macro command for "time to next <skill use>" or are they just guessing?
    (c) If it's the former, what is this command?

There's another thing where they often have a macro for when they Provoke.

(a) Is this worth doing?
    (b) There is no (b)...

One thing I don't recall seeing is a macro for when they use a WS.

(a) Isn't this done, or have I just not noticed it?
    (b) If you do do this, will it just overlap with the "<name> readies <ws>" message?
    (c) If yes, then what /wait should I put on so it pops up as I strike with the WS?

And finally, another common macro is the "pulling" macro.

(a) What are the best macros for when you are pulling? That is, just a "/p <t> Found it! <call5>" type thing or is the a preferred way of doing it?

(b) Is there a bit of macro code to display the challenge level of the mob?

Well that's it. I know a lot of it might seem to in-depth, but it's just that I want to do the best job I can as a WAR and they're the job that I've seen most use "chat macros". Also, there isn't a lot else for me to put into my macro slots, so they feel empty after playing RDM.
    sigpic
    My name in-game is Zubon and I'm in Remora

Re: Common WAR macros

For provoke usually I just have:

/ja Provoke <t>

Just keep it simple. The following will report the timer:

/recast Provoke

However, I usually check the timer from the menu manually.

For pulling, I would just:

/ra <t>
    /p { Range Attack } <t> <call11>

If party members need to know the mob's difficulty, they can /check by themselves when mob arrives the camp. If there is a level gap in party, sometimes what /check VT to me could be low IT to others in the same party. I prefer macro to be clear and simple.

For WS, I would use:

/ws "weapon skill you are using" <t>
    /p { Weapons Skill you used } <t>
    Server: Quetzalcoatl
    Race: Hume Rank 7
    75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

Next provoke used to be the norm since the day we didn't have /recast. The trend still carries over but it's not neccesary.

It's a good idea to have a provoke macro. I usually use
      /ja Provoke <stnpc>
      Provoking <lastst>

<stnpc> is so that I provoke the links too.

time to next skill use, I think the only job that needs to do this is thf for their SATA. Even so, it usually is done manually. @30 = 30 seconds etc.

macro to announce WS. Only neccesary if you skillchain with others.

Pulling. I usually have 2 macro

- see it macro. oh noez, it's a <t> yadayada. That's just so I can use it in LS too for fun or w/e.

- pull macro.
      /range <stnpc>
      /p pulling <lastst>
      something like that. I like <lastst> because I can push the macro without targetting anything while im still on auto run.

You can use /check. But it can only note to yourself.
      There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
      but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
      transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

For my WAR my main macros are:

Provoke:

/ja "Provoke" <t>
        /p "Provoking <t>
        /wait 15
        /p 15s Till next Provoke
        /p Provoke Ready!

The interval lets others know that if hate is bounced, dont expect me to be voke it coz I cant. Iv won many an arguement in parties where they say VOKE VOKE VOKE and I tell them to check their logs...Also gives yourself a quick update on when u can next use it.

Pulling:

/ra <t>
        /p Fishing <t>

WS - If I am starting SC:

/p Using [Weapon Skill] in 3s
        /wait 3
        /ws [WS] <t>

I use the menu if I am closing the SC or if there is no SC being used. Sometimes for some odd reason Ill take out the wait 3 and use the macro.

Comment

I have /echo lines in my Provoke macro to tell me when my next voke is ready. The entire party really doesn't need to know when I'm 15 seconds away from my next Provoke. If I'm the main tank, they don't need to know that's now ready for use either, since I'll be using it shortly anyway.

If anyone in the party (including the macro user) relies on these lines of party chat, it makes me wonder if the macro user is using enough macros. If you use any other macros during those 30 seconds between vokes, it will cancel the remainder of the voke macro. So you really shouldn't become too reliant on those /p or /echo messages anyway.

If I need to voke every 30 seconds, I'm usually hovering in the job abilities menu with Provoke selected. When I see I'm 5 seconds away from being able to voke again, I start counting down from 5 while exiting out of the menus, so I can hit my voke macro when I hit 0.
          Lyonheart
          lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
          Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
          Fishing 60

Lakiskline
          Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
          Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
          Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
          Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

I used to have 'wait' lines in my 'voke macros, but after I realized using any other macro before the 'wait' lines went through would negate them, I took them out. Now I just use /ja "Provoke" and such with all my JA recasts on a different macro so I'll always know what's ready and what's not.

For WS, your basic /ws "Weapon Skill" <t> macro is fine imo. It's kinda hard to miss those big flashy attacks unless you're just not looking. Though you can put /p Using "Weapon SKill" or whatever, it's not needed.

For pulling, which as a War you can, should and WILL do (if you're any good anyway), a simple /ra <t> with a /p Rnaged Attack <t> yada thing is fine. Again, no reason to go overboard with this stuff, just get the basic info out there. And don't worry about the /check of the mob, if the puller is at a different lvl then others it could easily check differently to them. And for most mages, every mob will have high def and eva.

Also, and sorta surprised no one else mentioned it, you need a TP macro. This will help with setting up SC and such and is something far too few people use effectively. Basically, the best tp macros are the simplest ones. Something like

/p Current TP = <tp> is more then enough to get your message across. I personally use a simple, yet noticable TP macro that clearly shows my TP without being too obnoxious. And though I can't speak for the opinions of others, as far as I'm concerned, don't use *any* <calls> in your TP macros. If your SC parter isn't paying attention, then get a new SC partner. <calls> are one of the many reasons I don't play with sound on anymore.

Originally posted by LyonheartLakshmi View Post
            I have /echo lines in my Provoke macro to tell me when my next voke is ready. The entire party really doesn't need to know when I'm 15 seconds away from my next Provoke. If I'm the main tank, they don't need to know that's now ready for use either, since I'll be using it shortly anyway.

If anyone in the party (including the macro user) relies on these lines of party chat, it makes me wonder if the macro user is using enough macros. If you use any other macros during those 30 seconds between vokes, it will cancel the remainder of the voke macro. So you really shouldn't become too reliant on those /p or /echo messages anyway.

If I need to voke every 30 seconds, I'm usually hovering in the job abilities menu with Provoke selected. When I see I'm 5 seconds away from being able to voke again, I start counting down from 5 while exiting out of the menus, so I can hit my voke macro when I hit 0.
            That's exactly why I stopped using them. As a War/mnk tank, I'd do nothing but spam my Boost Macro until it fired off twice, then spam my Voke Macro till it fired then go back to boost. If I had /p lines in any of them, rest assured they would be filling up the chat right along with my spamming. A good tank should be doing something else during the 30 seconds between vokes, and if it involved a macro, that 15 second timer of yours would never appear.
            Last edited by Ziero; 01-26-2007, 09:20 AM.
            "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

I dunno, whilst I hate endless macro spamming crap I would rather let the party know. I guess its just preferences, and I dont think mine is OTT.

The SC thing is useful for mages as well if they are MBing. When I play my RDM main I prolly look at the log 90% of the fight so big flashy WSs can be missed easily.

Comment

As far as pulling macros, I suggest having both a Pulling macro and a Range attack macro.

The pulling macro should announce in /p chat that you are about to pull a mob. This is especially useful if the party happens to send out a secondary puller in a crowded zone (e.g. Jungles, Caedarva Mire, etc). I also suggest adding one of the easier chimes, such as <scall14>. Using "scall" instead of "call" means the game client will make the chime, but not vibrate the controller.

The separate Ranged attack macro can be a silent one. I use the Pulling macro initially, and if I get that annoying "you are too far away" error message, I pursue the mob and use my silent Ranged attack macro. It's rather annoying to see (and hear) "Get ready! I'm pulling a Robber Crab! <call>" 6 times in a row.

One more thing about ranged attack macros: if you happen to have stat boosting ammo items for any of your jobs, I suggest making the first line of your ranged attack macro unequip your ammo slot: /equip ammo. This helps avoid losing stuff like Bomb Core, Morion Tathlum, Bibiki Seashell, etc. I once threw my Happy Egg by mistake. I was no longer Happy after that happened.

If you need ammo to pull with, then you would simply put the ammo you normally pull with as the first line instead: /equip ammo "Acid Bolt".

Even if the ammo item is for a completely different job, I suggest taking these precautions for your WAR macros. You never know when you might accidentally change macro palettes when you're playing BLM, hit your WAR ranged attack macro, and toss that Morion Tathlum.

Edit: one more thing, regarding WS macros. I've started putting in /wait 2 followed by an /echo to tell me my TP return. This lets me check back in my chat log to gauge what happened on multi hit weapon skills.

/p I Rampage!
                /ws Rampage <t>
                /wait 2
                /echo TP return <tp>
                Last edited by LyonheartLakshmi; 01-26-2007, 09:50 AM. Reason: Added snippet about WS macro
                Lyonheart
                Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
                Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
                Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

I find /wait macros for WS to be of minimal use; you already have the TP, just dish out the WS already.

There's really no reason for any sort of party chat for provoke macro, either. If the big noise and bright orange-red graphic doesn't clue your party members in on provoke used, then what good is the party chat?

As for "15 second to next provoke" type of junk, why bother? If you're tanking on WAR, you should be pressing the Boost macro in between provokes, so any provoke macro with /wait 15 will never finish executing anyway. If you're just tossing out an emergency provoke, no one is counting on your next provoke.

My pulling macro on any job is

/equip r.acc stuff
                  /equip r.acc stuff
                  /party <Fishing> -> <<t>> <call-something not too annoying>
                  /ra <t>

People in PUG's have a tendency to wander off between pulls, so the <call-something> is ther to remind them to get back to the keyboard.
                  Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                  yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                  Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                  leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
                    I find /wait macros for WS to be of minimal use; you already have the TP, just dish out the WS already.

There's really no reason for any sort of party chat for provoke macro, either. If the big noise and bright orange-red graphic doesn't clue your party members in on provoke used, then what good is the party chat?

As for "15 second to next provoke" type of junk, why bother? If you're tanking on WAR, you should be pressing the Boost macro in between provokes, so any provoke macro with /wait 15 will never finish executing anyway. If you're just tossing out an emergency provoke, no one is counting on your next provoke.

My pulling macro on any job is

/equip r.acc stuff
                    /equip r.acc stuff
                    /party <Fishing> -> <<t>> <call-something not too annoying>
                    /ra <t>

People in PUG's have a tendency to wander off between pulls, so the <call-something> is ther to remind them to get back to the keyboard.
                    Exactly why I don't announce my provokes. The only /p macro I have is for pulling.

Comment

Originally posted by LyonheartLakshmi View Post
                      As far as pulling macros, I suggest having both a Pulling macro and a Range attack macro.
                      The pulling macro should announce in /p chat that you are about to pull a mob. This is especially useful if the party happens to send out a secondary puller in a crowded zone (e.g. Jungles, Caedarva Mire, etc). I also suggest adding one of the easier chimes, such as <scall14>. Using "scall" instead of "call" means the game client will make the chime, but not vibrate the controller.
                      The separate Ranged attack macro can be a silent one. I use the Pulling macro initially, and if I get that annoying "you are too far away" error message, I pursue the mob and use my silent Ranged attack macro. It's rather annoying to see (and hear) "Get ready! I'm pulling a Robber Crab! <call>" 6 times in a row.
                      One more thing about ranged attack macros: if you happen to have stat boosting ammo items for any of your jobs, I suggest making the first line of your ranged attack macro unequip your ammo slot: /equip ammo. This helps avoid losing stuff like Bomb Core, Morion Tathlum, Bibiki Seashell, etc. I once threw my Happy Egg by mistake. I was no longer Happy after that happened.
                      If you need ammo to pull with, then you would simply put the ammo you normally pull with as the first line instead: /equip ammo "Acid Bolt".
                      Even if the ammo item is for a completely different job, I suggest taking these precautions for your WAR macros. You never know when you might accidentally change macro palettes when you're playing BLM, hit your WAR ranged attack macro, and toss that Morion Tathlum.
                      Edit: one more thing, regarding WS macros. I've started putting in /wait 2 followed by an /echo to tell me my TP return. This lets me check back in my chat log to gauge what happened on multi hit weapon skills.
                      /p I Rampage!
                      /ws Rampage <t>
                      /wait 2
                      /echo TP return <tp>
                      Again good points. For me, I never got around to actually making a 'pull' macro, but I do have a basic /ra macro that swaps in, and out, some acc gear. I find that while I'm aiming for the shot I have enough time to type 'Incoming <t>' or something similar and start running before the mob starts beating on me. Though having two macros certainly would be easier.

And as for the TP return /echo, I never thought of that but I think I'll try it. I'm always curious about how many of my multihits land so this will definately help out.
                      "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

I never knew about the TP Return function, Lyonheart. Neat!

Comment

Can that return TP line be counted on? I've seen where WS and regular melee swings proc'ed so close together, that the melee animations never even showed.

(e.g. I was farming on RDM/NIN a few nights ago, did a WS, and the critter died and my character immediately put the swords away. However, the log said I got two more swings in after the WS--swings I never saw.)
                          Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                          yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                          Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                          leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

I haven't played around enough with the timing of checking TP return yet. So I don't know if it needs /wait 2, or /wait 1, or if /wait is even needed at all. I suppose it's possible that you'll get in some regular melee swings immediately after the WS, it's probably a bigger problem for lower delay weapons. So each player can judge for themselves whether or not it would work for them.

Personally, I just wanted an alternative to eyeballing the TP meter immediately after WSs. If melee attacks enter the picture too fast for my macro to catch, then it's likely to fool my eyes as well. Even if this method doesn't work 100% of the time, it at least provides something for my logs.
                            Lyonheart
                            Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                            Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,

Comment

I believe Spider-Dan used the /echo <tp> thing w/out waits. I've never tried myself though. I'd assume that you could do /ws line and /echo <tp> line right under it w/out a wait as long as you don't say anything else in the macro. Since it's still a chat command, having 2 in the same macro w/out waits will never function correctly.

Also, I don't like <stnpc> for anything that needs done pronto such as Provoke. Let's say you're war/nin and you just finished casting Utsusemi. You hit provoke, and you hit Enter to confirm, but you're still winding down from your casting. The result? "Cannot perform action" bla bla or whatever error message it gives you. This means that your BLM is getting smacked and you have to hit your macro again, and hit enter again.

That's one of the only times I'd stay away from <st> type macros. Also, it's somehow extremely easy to forget that Job Abilities can be activated through the menu with a quick key press (such as Alt J on keyboard). Whenever there are links or whatever, I simply use Provoke through the menu, providing a ready-made <stnpc> effect. Also, I pretty much never use my Warcry Macro. I have one, but I always end up using the menu for it.

Related issue: I'd very very very strongly suggest staying away from <bt> for Provoke. This is another one of those link issues. Provoke requires deft control from the user. You're asking for trouble if you let "automatic" commands handle it for you. I'm not sure how much I trust <lastst> I think I'd hate it for 'voke too. <t> all the way.

I still don't use WS macros, which is why I haven't ever messed with putting the /echo <tp> thing. If you do, keep it simple. A /p <tp> macro is more important than a WS macro, IMO. If you use /thf or have enough gear to warrant equip swaps, then you're going to want WS macros that do that.

Btw, I hate /wait for pretty much everything. I generally believe that if you want to put a /wait command in, you'd be better off using 2 macros.
                              "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

Working...
                              X