Just started what axe to get Warrior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just started what axe to get Warrior

Been playing for the last few days just got lev 10 and reading here it looks like an axe is the way to go. So fare just used a sawed was wondering witch axe is the best to get a reply ASAP would be awesome before I go back on tonight thanks in advance

Re: Just started what axe to get Warrior

I have no idea what a "sawed" is, but you should probably try to get 2 weapons - an Axe and a Great Axe. It is good to keep both skilled up for a WAR.

@10 you can get a Legionnaire's Axe. If you are Bastokan, you can get it with CP. I would also get an Inferno Axe off of the AH. Try to keep both skills capped.
    FFXIV Balmung Server
    Tenro Matashi
    PLD|GLD - MIN|BOT - ALC|ARM|BSM|CRP|GSM|LTW|WVR

Comment

when you start a new weapon, you'll have to fight monsters that check as "Easy Prey" so you don't die. But stick with it. Yes, you should probably use a Great axe. An axe would be fine too, but if it's either/or I'd take a Great axe.

You will start with Great axe skill 0 and you'll notice you miss more than you do with your sword. But you'll see your skill increase quite quickly, and once you get Shield break it's good to use it to start fights (it's not for damage -- it lowers the target's evasion by a lot).

With the exception of certain very expensive weapons, try to keep the highest-level weapon equipped. For instance, Butterfly Axe is a wonderful Great axe levels 5-10ish, but obviously the one with a higher level to equip is gonna be better.

Before people come to this and comment about the practicality of nin sub later on and whatnot, just can it. He doesn't need too much detail. And if he's gonna have to skill up one or the other come level 30, it's better to be axe and you all know it.
      "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

Isnt Light Axe available at 10? That was a pretty decent axe for me...

Comment

just as a tip for a new player. bastok npc sells axes when they are in 1st and 2nd in conquest. its the weapon shop near the home point crystal in bastok markets. low level armor and weapons are usually cheaper from shops and npcs than they are from ah. look around town might save alot of gil or find a way to make some. great axe is a war best weapon, axe is high enough that its acceptable to use, and has some good weapon skills. use 1 until it caps then switch to other til it caps. cant afford both dont panic get what you can afford and go with it.
          im assuming sawed = sword? thats usually considered weapon of choice for pld. even if you think you may become a pld dont use sword for war. if and when you level pld then use it and skill it up. i suggest do alot of research on these forums and learn as much as possible to make you game fun and interesting.
          now for gaining levels. i suggest solo for a couple of more levels. you dont have to kill mobs that give 100 exp per kill, then you have to sit and rest health for 2 mins or more. i do what i call solo speed leveling. i kill mobs that are easy preys that i can kill in 2 or 3 hits, and that i kill non stop and dont have to rest in between kills. another thing that might help you if your able to do is get a couple of stacks of selbina milk. start fighting and when you take damage drink one. it regens your hp back overtime. also meat jerky will help you hit harder if you can buy it from an npc where its cheaper. also sold in bastok. good luck and enjoy yourself playing ffxi.

Comment

Originally posted by raidenn View Post
            Isnt Light Axe available at 10? That was a pretty decent axe for me...
            It's level 11 (Light Axe) but is easily obtained via a quest in Sandy, so it's worth getting if you need something.

Comment

Forget one-handed axe for now; those are easier to skill up later than two-handed axe ("great axe").

Use Somepage.com to find out what are available:
              http://ffxi.somepage.com/itemdb/advanced.php

Use FFXI Auction House to get a sense of pricing:
              http://www.ffxiah.com/index.php
              Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
              yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
              Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
              leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

I've personally never had any trouble keeping both one and two handed axes up to date. There's really no reason to "forget" about either.

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
                  I've personally never had any trouble keeping both one and two handed axes up to date. There's really no reason to "forget" about either.
                  Hmm. I favored two-handed axe in leveling WAR to Lv.40, so didn't try to keep one-handed axe skill capped. However, I more recently leveled DRK to 40 in exp parties, and I wasn't able to cap either scythe or two-handed sword, though I tried.

In fact, after taking DRK from Lv.40 to Lv.42 in level capped Riven Site #A1 in a skill up/farming party using only scythe, my scythe still isn't capped--for Lv.40.

At lower levels, two-handed weapons are a real pain to cap. At the very least, I would suggest capping two-handed Axe in each level before switching to Axe/Shield combo.
                  Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                  yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                  Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                  leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

As long as you keep at both of them, you should have little trouble keeping Great Axe and Axe capped. But if there is a considerable gap of any kind, you may have some trouble.

I would suggest using which ever your party prefers you use, and ask permission to switch over to the weapon that you need to keep up to date for a few fights to cap it.

Comment

Thanks to every1 and yes sawed = sword sorry 4 bad spelling again thanks

Comment

Kind of on topic:
                        What type of 1h axe do wars typically use? Highest dmg or lowest delay etc.
                        Thanks Kazuki.
                        Dragoon Equipment

Comment

I suppose they look for whatever is going to increase their overall damage the most. Having only ever taken the job to 37, I can't say with any authority though.

Comment

Use the great axe bro. Come lv 23, you'll never look back ^^b

Sturmwind rocks.
                            sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

It seams that a great axe would b a good idea the only problem is that the only place I can find it is at the auction and it cost 20000 gil that like 18000 more than I have any ideas for making some money quick I have got all mine so far from hunting or some where I can get a great axe cheaper thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X