/mnk 30-37?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• /mnk 30-37?

Hello everyone. My goal is 75 PLD, and to that effect I need to level WAR to 37. My plan is to finish MNK to 18, get Support Job and go WAR/MNK to 37, get PLD Job, then PLD/WAR to 75.

1-30 I will not have the option so it is a moot point, but with the /NIN craze will I be able to get the PTs 30-37 as a WAR/MNK?

Thanks in advance for your advice and opinions.
    FFXIV Balmung Server
    Tenro Matashi
    PLD|GLD - MIN|BOT - ALC|ARM|BSM|CRP|GSM|LTW|WVR

Re: /mnk 30-37?

Originally posted by Wise Donkey View Post
    Hello everyone. My goal is 75 PLD, and to that effect I need to level WAR to 37. My plan is to finish MNK to 18, get Support Job and go WAR/MNK to 37, get PLD Job, then PLD/WAR to 75.

1-30 I will not have the option so it is a moot point, but with the /NIN craze will I be able to get the PTs 30-37 as a WAR/MNK?

I'm sure it's not a problem. The only thing though is that you'll have a better chance of getting invites into parties if you sub ninja. At this level, warrior/ninja is still tankable, so in terms of getting to 37 faster, /ninja is your better bet.

I'm subbing monk for war until 20, then picking up with /ninja until 37. Yes, it's a pain-in-the-ass route, but I need to pick up ninja sooner or later, so why not now. >.<

You can also make your own parties. As long as you can find a tank, nobody's gonna give a damn that you're subbing monk instead of ninja.
    ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Mog View Post
      As long as you can find a tank, nobody's gonna give a damn that you're subbing monk instead of ninja.
      /MNK isn't a Tank 30-37? I always thought they did a decent job. Granted a NIN pr PLD is better. At what level does it become unacceptable to Tank as a WAR/MNK? I would guess at 24 with WAR/NIN Utsu...
      FFXIV Balmung Server
      Tenro Matashi

Comment

/MNK isn't a Tank 30-37? I always thought they did a decent job. Granted a NIN pr PLD is better. At what level does it become unacceptable to Tank as a WAR/MNK? I would guess at 24 with WAR/NIN Utsu...
        Maybe they do. It's level 30-37, so it probably wouldn't make much of a difference at this level. Hell, mnks used to tank a lot before all these new expansion packs came out, so I guess it could happen. :p

But yeah. To answer your question, war/nin becomes pretty untankable past 45.
        ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

/MNK can be either a tank, a DD, or (to some extent) both at the same time. But I think Mog was trying to make that point that if you A) form your own party, and B) get someone else to be the tank, then C) no one in your party has the right to complain about the capabilities of a WAR/MNK tank.

Well, I suppose someone could still smack talk about WAR/MNK tanks. But you can either /blist them and continue with the pt, or just tell them to shut up (which you can probably get away with if you're pt leader).

At what level does it become unacceptable to Tank as a WAR/MNK? I would guess at 24 with WAR/NIN Utsu...
          Two WAR/NINs dual tanking is more efficient than a WAR/MNK solo tanking. But it's also harder to do. Unless the two WARs cooperate well, one of them is probably going to come out as a solo tank anyways. And if they both do a crappy job, then the mages will probably be tanking.

However if we are talking about solo tanking, for the level stretch we are talking about, a WAR/MNK beats a WAR/NIN. If you were to get an invite because a pt needed you to solo tank, go as /MNK. And if the pt complains about your choice of sub, tell them they can keep looking for a tank then (note: if they invite you to solo tank as a WAR, then that means there are no other tanks seeking, so use that leverage!)
          Lyonheart
          lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
          Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
          Fishing 60

Lakiskline
          Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
          Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
          Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
          Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

Have your subjobs leveled and ready for use.

WAR/MNK at level 30 ~ 37 may not stand out or gives other OMFG impression, but in practice it can hold on its own. WAR itself is already awesome at level 30 as main job: Provoke, Berserk, Double Attack, Defender, Defensive bonus, Attack bonus, can wear most armor, great DPS 2-handed weapon (G.Axe) and strong DPS 1-handed weapon (Axe), Shield Break and Sturmwind... Warcry at level 35. The subjobs are just different favors.

WAR/NIN, WAR/MNK, WAR/THF, WAR/SAM, WAR/DRG, WAR/RNG... at given levels have the tool to be awesome. It is the great player who control the WAR make it great, not the WAR/NIN job combo alone. Unfortunately most players do not understand the concept of "a sword in the hands of a coward is useless."

At level 30 ~ 37, melee jobs like MNK, DRK, SAM, DRG... is fine without /NIN. In my opinion a level 30+ WAR who is serious to the job should have /THF, /NIN, /MNK leveled and know how to use those subjobs, have G.Axe and Axe available, ready to fill-in Tank, DD, puller, etc. Even if the party is very close-minded and only demand for WAR/NIN, it is still a valid decision of the party.
            Last edited by Celeal; 12-12-2006, 11:34 AM.
            Server: Quetzalcoatl
            Race: Hume Rank 7
            75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

I subbed Monk from 30-37 as a Warrior. Unless you plan on leveling Warrior past 37, don't bother getting Ninja leveled to 18. You're not going to be doing wtfpwn damage with dual axes, and Utsusemi is made of lol so there's no real point in using Ninja sub at that level other than to please retards. Do yourself a favor, do not please retards. They can have a very drastic effect on your sanity later on.
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the laugh dirtyclown, I think I will take your advice.
                FFXIV Balmung Server
                Tenro Matashi

Comment

Originally posted by dirtyclown View Post
                  I subbed Monk from 30-37 as a Warrior. Unless you plan on leveling Warrior past 37, don't bother getting Ninja leveled to 18. You're not going to be doing wtfpwn damage with dual axes, and Utsusemi is made of lol so there's no real point in using Ninja sub at that level other than to please retards. Do yourself a favor, do not please retards. They can have a very drastic effect on your sanity later on.
                  I had been to successful level 30+ Party setup like WAR/NIN x2, or NIN/WAR + WAR/NIN, or WAR/NIN x2 + THF x2, or WAR/NIN x3.

It is not about pleasing retards. It is about knowing what WAR is capable, what a WAR is not capable, and what is the limitation.

To have only one subjob and refuse to level other subjobs, regardless of war/nin only or war/mnk only, is like all you have is a nail and a hammer, and every problem/solution because hitting the nail with the hammer.

Even a WAR/NIN post level 55 with Rampage and deal wtfpwn damage with dual axes is not the only play-style of WAR. It is this kind of misconception that makes WAR/MNK, WAR/THF, or other subjobs having a hard time to get party invites.

Comment

Originally posted by Celeal View Post
                    I had been to successful level 30+ Party setup like WAR/NIN x2, or NIN/WAR + WAR/NIN, or WAR/NIN x2 + THF x2, or WAR/NIN x3.

It is not about pleasing retards. It is about knowing what WAR is capable, what a WAR is not capable, and what is the limitation.

To have only one subjob and refuse to level other subjobs, regardless of war/nin only or war/mnk only, is like all you have is a nail and a hammer, and every problem/solution because hitting the nail with the hammer.

Even a WAR/NIN post level 55 with Rampage and deal wtfpwn damage with dual axes is not the only play-style of WAR. It is this kind of misconception that makes WAR/MNK, WAR/THF, or other subjobs having a hard time to get party invites.
                    If I were taking WAR past 37, I would definately have all SJ ready. I think what dirtyclown is saying is that since I am only going to 37, there is no need to spend the outrageous ammount of time it would take to get all those SJs ready for use. As an ex-THF, I fully understand the value of the right SJ, in the right PT, at the right time.
                    FFXIV Balmung Server
                    Tenro Matashi

Comment

At that level range? Yes it is. The cons outweigh the pros for using Ninja as a sub in the level range we're talking about, and only an idiot who doesn't care about what you're doing as a Warrior other than you can hit things and are somewhat sentient wants Ninja sub and only Ninja sub. I call it pleasing retards. I know what I can do with what I have to work with and I also know that most people only look for 3 letters when they want to invite me to PT. Being able to do things and having social approval to do them are two different things.

Agreed. I do like the nail and hammer approach, but only when it's applicable to my current situation. Unfortunately the playerbase does not agree and prefers to force a square peg into a round hole whenever they possibly can to save time and effort on their part. Self serving faggotry for the lose.

If I were taking WAR past 37, I would definately have all SJ ready. I think what dirtyclown is saying is that since I am only going to 37, there is no need to spend the outrageous ammount of time it would take to get all those SJs ready for use. As an ex-THF, I fully understand the value of the right SJ, in the right PT, at the right time.
                      That's exactly what I'm saying. By going out of your way, you only postpone the things that you actually want to do ingame, and that's just busywork. The way I look at it is like this: The majority of the people who I will be playing with will most likely not put forth this much effort for anything they do ingame, so why should I waste my precious time making them happy? Planning for a contingency is always good, but what's the point when all of your effort is mostly in vain?
                      Last edited by dirtyclown; 12-12-2006, 01:39 PM. Reason: etc.
                      sigpic

Comment

If I were to choose between a warrior that only had NIN sub and one that only had MNK sub, I'd take the war/mnk.

Please use a Greataxe, eat some sort of food (attack, defense, whatever you want), and remember that if you wanna make war/mnk look good tanking, you gotta do voke every 30 and boost every 15. In one sentence (albeit a run-on), I described the very easy process that makes war/mnk incredible at tanking. levels 30-37 are technically prime levels for this combo, have fun with it. It will be harder to get parties, btw. Simply because most people are idiots. It's true that war/nin can be good at those levels, but it's about 10% of your parties, if that. Yet people want war/nin for 99.9%. I'm with Dirtyclown. Don't please the retards.
                        "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

Tanking is not the only thing that a WAR do in experience points parties. Experience points parties is not the only thing in this game...

It is worthwhile to level up jobs THF, NIN, WHM or RDM to a decent level for farming, solo, sneak/invisible, mission/quest, Promyvion, skillup, coffer, BCNM, Assault, etc. Even for PLD, outside experience point parties PLD/THF, PLD/RDM, PLD/WHM, PLD/NIN have their place.

For example, Level 30 WAR/NIN has its use for Promyvion.

Leveling MNK to 18 -> unlock subjob -> level WAR/MNK to 37 -> unlock PLD -> level PLD/WAR to 75 seems to be a good plan. However, outside of experience point parties you may find yourself limited in certain situations.

If in the future you decide to level other melee jobs besides PLD, having NIN, WAR and THF ready as subjob is definitely handy.

Since you are to leveling WAR to 37, why not get the most fun out of it? I had a very enjoyable experience with war/mnk, war/nin, and war/thf. It is so fun that I decided to level war past 37, which is not what I expected when I start this game.

If I have to start a new character, I would definitely level war, thf, nin, whm to 37 before main job to 75.
                          Last edited by Celeal; 12-13-2006, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Cel makes good points all around.

*thumbs up*

WAR/MNK is great for pure tanking. Of course it's hate tools are limited but with Provoke, Boost, Provoke it's almost not a problem at all. Not to mention the HP Boost and most importantly Counter and Dodge. . . . .although Counter didn't counter as much as I was hoping it to. . . it still is respectable dmg when you counter for like 90-100 DMG with your GA.

WAR/NIN is great for assisting a NIN/WAR or another WAR/NIN. As we know they only have Utsusemi: Ichi, so having someone else able to provoke while they recast their shadows is great and by having the person who provokes capable of using shadows helps the downtime (WHM doesn't have to waste MP, so more MP for next pulls)

WAR/THF is really fun for DD. This of course includes pre-charging your SA and also timing it so you can use it for SC . .. . . if you do indeed use SA + Sturmwind in a SC.

So basically like what Cel said early, level all the subs just so you can sub the proper SJ in the circumstance that your in. It's always great in this game when people are flexible because a whole lot more can be accomplished
                            Last edited by Zempten; 12-13-2006, 06:21 AM.

Comment

If I have to start a new character, I would definitely level war, thf, nin, whm to 37 before main job to 75.
                              I did that with my retired THF. I had NIN, WAR, WHM, MNK, RNG all leveld to use as SJs for THF. With the time I spent on all those SJ, I was only lvl 45 by the time a lot of my friends were 75 in their jobs. I don't want to spend that ammount of time on SJs again, which is why I am going the path of PLD. PLD requires ONE(1) SJ: WAR - sure there are specific situations where PLD/NIN or other combinations would be good, but they are few and far between.

Once I am done with PLD, then I will worry about extra SJs for WAR, if I even decide to take WAR further.

Again, thanks to everyone for their input.
                              FFXIV Balmung Server
                              Tenro Matashi

Comment

Working...
                              X