/mnk 30-37?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: /mnk 30-37?

Was in a party the other day with 4 WAR/NIN 1 RDM 1 BRD LV38-40 and made 5k an hour xp in Crawlers. So WAR/NIN doesn't suck in large numbers lol.

I support the WAR/MNK idea 30-37, however. -waves flag-

Comment

and it used to be that war/nin tanking was a big "if you can find other war/nins" but since everyone's war/nin these days, it's quite easy to make these layouts. But no matter how good the party is, I've seldom been lucky enough to get CN empty enough for that good of exp. Kill speed usually isn't a problem, ideal CN layout is prolly to always have a bard grabbing new links and be very good at keeping them lullabied. Anywho, I bid thee high-five for being able to get that many CN pulls.
      "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

I realize this thread is old and has been bumped, but I may as well chime in, for the benefit of any new WARs that may be reading this now. A lot of sagely advice has been given, but I just want to add one thing (ok, two.) SA Sturmwind is nice; SA Shield Break used right is almost always better (that isn't to say that Shield Break requires SA to be godly, though; it's ridiculously powerful all on its own.) And Shield Break + a party of DDs eating meat = instant win. Of course, it's not always feasable depending on how cooperative your party is. But when it is...oh, boy.

Comment

for the less Martyr-blooded of us:

Shield Break all the time -- only use Sturmwind right when you use it to see it, for farming, and for trying to kill a bad pull/link quickly (assuming it's almost dead when you get tp, if it still has a decent chunk of life, you'll likely create more damage via shield break anyway).

My full time exception, counter to Armando, is SA Sturmwind. I never once did SA Shield Break in exp. It's very nice, and he's prolly right that it'll help more than SA Sturm. But... I, for one, forgive you for going after the big numbers on this one. It's just too fun to be regularly breaking 400 on Soldiers.

Another point for Armando's argument though, is that in addition to indirectly matching the damage of SA Sturm (via the -evasion), you probably also get significantly less hate. I'm pretty sure mobs hate Shield Break more than direct damage WSs, due to damage hate + enfeeble hate, but I think it'd still be less than what you'd get out of huge Sturms.

And since so many people love to hop on how big of an mp sink war/thf is, they in particular should think on SA Shield Break.
          "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

Actually, seeing as Shield Break's effect occurs more or less as a (hidden) added effect, I don't think it generates any extra hate because of it. But yes, much like you said the logic behind that was:
            1) Far, far less likely to turn you into an MP sink at the time (although it certainly is possible to do SA Sturmwind and "get away with it!")
            2) It makes Shield Break guaranteed to land, and as icing on the cake puts out some pretty good numbers with it.
            3) Every melee's (and BLU!) performance will shoot up assuming they're eating meat.
            4) Balances the hate a lot better - the damage from SA Sturmwind dumps all the hate on the user, but when you Shield Break, part of Shield Break's damage comes from everyone else's increased performance, much in the same way that a BRD brings damage to the party in his/her own way. Because it boosts all the melee's performances, it helps the tank as well (plus the fact that you didn't do some incredible spike damage) and indirectly makes the mages safer, since all the melees are getting more hate and they aren't.

But if you have a party that lets you do 400 damage Sturmwinds closing 240 damage Fragmentations with 100+ damage Thunder bursts, by all means, bust out the spike damage!

Comment

Working...
            X