New here and...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here and...

I'm a warrrior, obviously. Anyways right now I'm at lvl5 and want to change into a Dark Knight ASAP. So here are the questions...

Can my primary job be a dark knight and pick a sub job? Or am I stuck with being a warrior and dark knight as a sub? I would like to be a dark knight and a summoner.

Sorry if its in the wrong forum, and thanks.

Re: New here and...

First, you can change main and subjobs at any time in your Mog House.

However assuming you're a lvl5 WAR with no subjob you have some waiting before you can become a Dark Knight. DRK is an advanced job and requires at least one other job at 30 before you can start the quest to unlock it. So assuming you are going to choose MNK as a subjob to your WAR and you don't want to be gimped it will work something like this:
    WAR to level 18 and do the quest to unlock your subjob
    MNK to lvl15
    WAR the rest of the way to 30
    Do the DRK quest
    You can now be a DRK/WAR if you so choose to be.

Summoner is also an Advanced job which you could start the quest to unlock when your WAR is 30. Now if you meant you wanted to be a DRK/SMN then I'll just hope that by the time you're lvl30 in one other job you'll know why thats a bad idea.

BTW maybe this should have been in the DRK forum, I dunno.
    I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Dark Knight is an advanced job with a flag quest that must be completed first. Unfortunatly you must be on a level 30 job or higher to activate this quest, so by that point you should have war to 30 and another job as a sub (maybe mnk, thf or other melee job from the basic job to choose from). The good news is, is that dark knight is a pretty easy quest to do, and should pose no problem for you once you are level 30. So up until that point enjoy the game, and at level 20 do your chocobo quest because walking to bastok is a pain, and you will be traveling there a bit for the drk quest. Good luck and have fun.

Comment

Everything has pretty much been covered, but I will mention one pitfall many impetuous adventurers fall into:

When your WAR Job reaches 30... Buffer your level to at very minimum one full death. Instead of just going to 30, ride the Kazham bus all the way to 31 and then buffer 31 at least 1 full death. The buffer for level 31 is 464XP and the buffer for 30 is 456XP. Check the guide referenced above for your various level's buffers or just do like I do and buffer 10% of the next level's XP--(level 32 is 5,900xp, so buffer 590).

I've seen characters doing their subjob quests die and delevel multiple times. It is very frustrating, so just avoid this situation in the first place and get level 31+buffer. Remember, since you're going to be a big bad DRK, you'll probably be levelling two or three subjobs to level 37--WAR, THF, and SAM. I will also mention very briefly the annoyingly ubiquitous NIN subjob... Fortunately, DRK do not flirt with it as much as others since they can't effectively use Dual-Wield. It's the Call of the Cicada that gets most people lured in. (I like NIN, I just don't like seeing NIN all over the search screen when I want to see something far more useful).

I've also known very few players who didn't at least dabble a bit in their jobs--testing the waters, checking the grass on the other side of the fence, etc. It's a good idea since by playing the jobs that others will be playing (especially a tanking job) will teach you how to best integrate yourself with these jobs.

Comment

I think everythings is already said here, id say follow their advice, and also, by the time youre 20, you will know how things are
          http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=953347

War75 Thf75 Pld75 Sam75 Mnk75 Rdm75 Nin75 Bard 75

Comment

I would actually recommend levelling WAR to 37 in one sitting, that way you don't need to take a break from DRK, make inventory space, and buy Lv.30 WAR equipment just to take WAR 7 more levels when you hit 60 DRK. You could level MNK to 18, do the sub job quest, and then go WAR/MNK to 37. Also, kinda off-topic, but stick to Great Axe when going WAR (Axes work too, but not as well as GA in the earlier levels.) You can skill up your Great Sword and Scythe skills in your spare time when you reach Lv.30 or 37 (whichever you're going to stop at.)

Off-topic: Love your sig, Sweetkitty. Minawa.

Comment

haha as soon as I saw the OP, I knew what my response was gonna be but Armando beat me to it:

GREAT AXE! Be good at your job until 30 (which means get a great axe), at that point you will understand so much about the game that you'll say to yourself "I sure am glad I found those boards with those helpful people."
              "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

NA players tend to divide up the different FFXI jobs as "beginner" and "advanced" jobs, impacting the false impression that the unlockable "advanced" jobs are somehow cooler, better, or the jobs which do not need to be unlocked are easy or for beginners only.

There are no "advanced" jobs; every single job has its intricacies, and many jobs are able to morph into distinct roles and/or utilize differnt playstyles depending on supoort job used. It's nice that you find Dark Knight exciting, but don't overlook the potential of Warrior or Monk as you level those--you just might like one of them, and like it a lot.

(The actual S-E terminology: Standard Jobs, Extra Jobs, and Support Job)

I'll break with the rest of the pack and say your first priority should to be to level White Mage.

Unlock the support job with it (probably will need some help), and then level Black Mage. You should target WHM25+ and BLM17+ before anything else, for WHM will give you access to Invisible and Sneak, which are really handy for getting around in places, and Black Mage will give you Warp, a big time saver.

Ideally, you should level WHM to 34 so you can have access to Invisible, Sneak, and Warp as WHM34/BLM17.

Once you have WHM25(or 34), BLM17, and support job ready, you'll have an easier time doing things in FFXI. White Mage, incidentally, is also a very good support job for every mage job (including Summoner), and is even used often (at least by JP players) as support job for melee.

Others have explained the path for Dark Knight: MNK18 > WAR37 > DRK will work nicely. However, Lv.1-19, you'll get more out DRK/WHM than DRK/most-other-jobs combination--yet another reason to to level White Mage. (Yes, DRK/WAR can tank Lv.10 and above--but Lv.1-10 is all soloing, and /WHM beats out other support jobs there, too.)
                Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Just a friendly reminder that only a few job that can use the Great Sword that is required to complete the unlock DRK job quest.

Try to kill 1000 mobs using a level 1 WAR with this 666 delay weapon is a torture~ (That was what I did, geez....)

Welcome to the dark side muwhahahaaaa ('w')

Leave the joke aside, it is common for FFXI player to try different jobs anyway, sooner or later. Beside leveling toward 30 and unlock extra jobs, there are a lot of things along the way: Finding steady gil income, explore the land and find ways to travel, side quest, mission... have better understanding of the game mechanics, make friends and joy the game ^^
                  Server: Quetzalcoatl
                  Race: Hume Rank 7
                  75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura
                    My first doble post. >_<
                    Congratulations.
                    Originally posted by IfritnoItazura
                    NA players tend to divide up the different FFXI jobs as "beginner" and "advanced" jobs, impacting the false impression that the unlockable "advanced" jobs are somehow cooler, better, or the jobs which do not need to be unlocked are easy or for beginners only.
                    The term advanced is used correctly, and the jobs you start off with are not called beginner, but Basic. Using the terms basic and advanced implies (correctly) that there are more requirements to obtain one type of job over another.

A course in advanced mathematics is not 'better' math, but it does require more then one in basic math. Conversely, basic calculus is not for beginners only.
                    I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

I seriously reccomend lvling thf to 37 if you want 60-75 DRK to run it's smoothest.

Lvl warrior to 18. Do SJ quest. Lvl theif to 18. lvl warrior to 37. Do DRK job quest. lvl drk to 60. lvl theif to 37. then finish off DRK from 60-75 with thf and war subs.

NIN and SAM are also very useful to lvl.
                      Last edited by Khevn; 11-15-2006, 06:56 AM. Reason: more info
                      "how broken everything about ToAU is."
                      "Do you have Haruhi in your daily anime diet?"
                      "ok... I've quit 5 times... and failed each time miserably... they need a patch for FFXI like those nicotine ones...."
                      "Finally Quit this game"

Comment

There are two jobs that I would consider "advanced" in terms of "if you want to use this job to full potential you'd better have another job at 70+ first".

Blue Mage
                        All blue magic has to be learned by having a monster use it in battle with you (not necessarily on you but you have to be engaged with it) then defeating the monster while you're on the blue mage job. This can be extremely challenging in some cases unless you have a high level friend willing to take the heat while you struggle to learn the spells as a blue mage since many of the higher level spells are virtually impossible to solo for. Additionally, most of the last 5 levels from 71-75 for blue mages require spells from enemies in the Lumoria region, which generally requires a 70+ job of some sort to pass Chains of Promathia missions for access to that region.

Summoner
                        You can be a functional SMN without too much external help, but acquiring the avatar Fenrir requires either a level 70+ job yourself or a lot of level 75s helping you (the former being easier than the latter). Diabolos is even worse - you're pretty much never going to get this avatar without having a level 75 job yourself.

This isn't to say you can't function as either job without a high level in another job, but the chances of having high level friends without being high level yourself is extremely low (to get blue magic), and the chances of winning Fenrir or Diabolos is virtually nil without resorting to some very unusual tactics plus some luck.

Icemage

Comment

add PUP to that list too...
                          "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

Working...
                          X