I like swords!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like swords!

I'll start this by saying many of my impressions may be wrong, I have no real way of knowing. I am a newbie, yes. I dont get alot of time to play. So I spend most of it reading these forums and various guides scattered throughout the net.

Based on what Ive read, PLD isnt the needed tank one would think it was meant to be. Seems alot of preference goes to NIN. Tank has always been my favorite position in all the MMORPG's Ive ever played, so of course PLD was my goal in FFXI. But not after all the horror stories Ive read.

Im starting to lean more to DD, but that created a new problem. Ive always been a fan of looking good, and doing it my way. In WoW I spec'd my undead WAR as a two-hand flurry. Most parties wanted either a shielded tank, or MS. Tough. I dont wanna. I could still hold hate, so it didnt really matter. I quickly learned that nobody in FFXI wanted me to use sword/shield as WAR, but were kind enough to explain. I didnt argue, and equipped my G.Axe that was SO kindly given to me by one of the players making the recomendation. I understand the "make dead fast" concept, but what about what I want?

If I go the WAR path, is G.sword a suitable substitute for G.axe? Will I still get invites? What about after I can sub NIN, can I dual wield swords as opposed to axes? I'll admit it, I like swords. But will I still get invites?

Re: I like swords!

Unless you plan on going into a job that uses swords(which apparently you aren't), g. axes(for /thf) and dual hand axes(for /nin) are the standards for wars. They have A skills in both weapon types, compared to sword, which is only a B.
    MisterCookie: Alla refugee since May 2006

MisterCookie: Writing poor signatures since January 1999

http://www.songbirdnest.com - OSS Media Player

Comment

Originally posted by Jance
      Based on what Ive read, PLD isnt the needed tank one would think it was meant to be. Seems alot of preference goes to NIN. Tank has always been my favorite position in all the MMORPG's Ive ever played, so of course PLD was my goal in FFXI. But not after all the horror stories Ive read.
      Wha? Where exactly did this come from? PLD isn't popular in Merit parties, not parties in general. So there's still at least a large percentage of the game that you can go through before you may or may not run into trouble.

f I go the WAR path, is G.sword a suitable substitute for G.axe? Will I still get invites? What about after I can sub NIN, can I dual wield swords as opposed to axes? I'll admit it, I like swords. But will I still get invites?
      Axes are your friend. I like swords too, but you'll need to use weapons that you're proficient with to best contribute to your party. After you sub nin you could offhand a sword if you really wanted to, but for the most part Axes ftw.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCookie
        Unless you plan on going into a job that uses swords
        Irrelevant since any job that uses swords would naturally skill them up in their use. Thinking like this has WAR's using polearms because they want to be a DRG one day. If your job performance is closely tied to your weapon, use the weapons your job performs best with.
        I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Play the job you enjoy the most and just ignore the naysayers.

As stated above use the best weapon's for the job, warrior can be a easy class to keep 2 weapons skilled up on. (or at least close enough to not matter much)

But really Paladin is a honorable job that still has a important and invaluable place in FFXI.

Comment

If you really like sword, you may want to try Paladin or Blue Mage. If you really want to use sword for Warrior, as least bring an axe and a great axe with you. Experience point party is not everything in this game. If you are doing mission, quest or solo, feel free to use sword
            Server: Quetzalcoatl
            Race: Hume Rank 7
            75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

People want whatever tank will tank their targets best, and most of the time it will be Ninja. Paladins get the shaft, but you'll always be their second choice...

In this game weapon skill levels play a huge role your efficiency, since each skill level adds about one attack and one accuracy to your totals. Around level twenty-five you'll really start to feel the difference between a rated A weapon and a B. By then you'll have a lot of trouble skilling up your A weapon.

You'll be playing a lot of different jobs, and I think you'll enjoy the diversity betweem them and their choice of weaponry. During end game a Warrior would most likely be dual wielding swords if they're lucky, so you can keep that in mind.

Comment

You sound like your mind is already made up to look good your way (I don't know anything about WoW, but I'm assuming you did something that's not 'the norm' for Warrior... warriors are the FFXI PLD type tanks in WoW?)

Anything is 'possible,' the trick is to convince enough people to let you try it on a regular basis. Cookie cutters are already stamped into our minds, however, and it's hard to re-define something we accept as law (though it's not absolute).

Myself, I played Warrior to 30 with Sword and Shield. I didn't know any better (NA launch of FFXI, I was a newbie). It worked out okay, because English speaking parties needed tanks, and WARs and MNKs were all we had for awhile. Often we'd have 2 WARs or /WARs per party, alternating provokes every 15 seconds in a sort of rudimentary Dual-Ninja tank setup minus the Utsusemi.

Now, I never contributed to much damage in those parties, but I was an adequate tank when it was needed. If you wanna be a Warrior tank, it's definitely possible. Gear up for it, use an appropriate subjob (MNK or NIN for example) advertise it in your search comment, and if you say you can handle it, wait until a party will let you do what you want.

DirtyClown is correct, Paladins are still popular in EXP parties, with the exception of Level 70+ speed-killing parties. The rarity of tanks seeking-party is almost on par with lack of healers, or support jobs like RDM and BRD. If you still want to go Paladin, I see no reason why you shouldn't. Look good your way, don't let the stereotypes get you down.

We're the best at using Swords, and the 2nd best at using Greatswords (1st is Dark Knight). So if you too enjoy swords, c'mon board! :D

PS: Greatsword PLD use is usually for when you're not the main tank. The shield really, really helps mitigate damage.
                Wevrain - Shiva

Comment

You can use a sword from 1 - 75 as a warrior, but you would probably be very weak compared to others, and would probably be better off playing a Paladin.

My suggestion is to take Warrior to 30 or 37 using Great Axes. At 30, you can unlock the advanced jobs and 37 is the subjob cap at 75. At this point, I would unlock Paladin and if your up to it, Blue Mage. The two are completely diffrent jobs, but they are the only two jobs in FFXI that excel (A and A+ skill, respectively) in Swords.

Blue Mages' spells are awsome and are some of the strongest Damage Dealers in the game, and even come with spells to support themselves and others. They are very versitle though, aned with the right subjobs, they can also function as a Healer or Tank. Common subjobs include Warrior, Thief, Ninja, and White Mage. The only real setback is they are popular(this is a setback? oh yes, many others are competeing with you.) and that they're spells are a MENA PAIN to learn.

Paladins are less lusterful, but still hold a strong grip on FFXI. They're sword skills are slightly weaker, but the second base in the game. They get all of the Weapon Skills from Sword, and can even get Exaclibur if you have gil flowing outta yer ears. Spells can be bought from AH cheaply, and for some reason one third of the playerbase never wants to pt with Paladins... yet they want then to tank at end game >.> talk about hypocritical.
                  Originally posted by Ellipses
                  Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
                  Originally posted by MCLV
                  A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
                  More Sig:

Comment

I'm sort of in the same situation as the OP. I just started a new char, that is going to be my DD/tank char while my 1st char will remain my mage char. I like to use the Great Swords, however. I've been doing really well so far with it, and to be quite honest, I'm seeing a LOT of other WARs running around the dunes with G. Swords as well. I really wanted this to be my character for having fun with, and so far I'm having loads of fun playing WAR. What I really want to do though, is take WAR straight to 37, or 30 at the very least, and from there, unlock DRG, SAM, NIN, PLD, and DRK. I'm fairly certain that only DRK has an A rating on G. Swords, but if I intend to use those advanced jobs as my mains, while keeping WAR as a sub, does it really matter that I use G. Swords now? It's nearing the time when I'll be heading for Qufim, and I've only seen 1 or 2 G. Sword WARs out there before. Will I be able to make it to 30 as a G. Sword user? I noticed that some of the swords have Attack bonuses, and I bought the Mercenary's Greatsword b/c of it +7 attack, and I also keep my Lgn. Gloves on me for a +3 bonus, so I don't think my damage is suffering. Also, it seems we get a bigger variety of skillchains than would normally be had.
                    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Comment

Once again, Axes and Greataxes are better for Warrior, but you could make it from 1-75 using Greatswords.
                      Originally posted by Ellipses
                      Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
                      Originally posted by MCLV
                      A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
                      More Sig:

Comment

Originally posted by Onionsoldier
                        They're sword skills are slightly weaker, but the second base in the game.
                        Pretty sure PLD is A+ sword skill to BLU's A-, as well as having higher STR growth. Not that + or - even exists 'til 61+.

-------

You can use sword or great sword for as long as you wish. Just remember, I'll be out there with Greataxe making you look bad. Greataxes aren't incredible because you're A ranked with them, they're incredible because they have the best Weapon Skills. Also (and this is w/out consulting Mystery Tour, so this may not be accurate), I think Greataxes typically have better dmg/delay ratios than most other warrior - equipable weapons at the pre-30ish region.

For the last time, using Warrior to skill up weapons in exp parties for your future "Advanced job" Does you more harm than good. You will suck more, get less exp, and get to your precious "advanced job" later. Additionally, what good is Greatsword skilled up to 90 when you could have your level 30 warrior pick up a Gsword at skill level 0 and skill it up to 10 or so in about 20 minutes? Once it's at this point, it'll never come uncapped for your Dark Knight.
                        "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

Originally posted by Onionsoilder
                          Once again, Axes and Greataxes are better for Warrior, but you could make it from 1-75 using Greatswords.
                          won't get past Maat with GS

if you really want the "ultimate" build, level all three weapons: Axe, Great Axe and Sword.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Up to about Lv.20 a WAR using a Sword can get the job done. Mainly due to Skillchain options with Sword at that level. But for WAR, as you've had drilled into you, your weapons are Axes. You can use A LOT of different weapons, but you're going to provide more damage, build TP faster, have better Accuracy if you keep with the Axes.

PLD in my LS originally wanted to become a DRG. She tanked to WAR27 with Polearm and did very well. Of course I helped her by leveling THF at the same time. So Double Thrust > Sneak Attack Fast Blade helped us gain a lot of EXP fast. Just be ready to break out one of WARs "real weapons" in the high 20's or at Lv.30 at the latest.

I think once you have Sturmwind as WAR/MNK you won't care too much about Swords. You're going to be 1st or 2nd place with WS damage at that level, and will enjoy showing off. (150~300dmg Sturmwinds Vs. Sneak Attack Fast Blades for 200~300dmg)

PLDs are awesome a lot of the game. So don't let the few disgruntled PLDs who can't Merit change your job about PLD. I'll admit to wanting NIN over PLDs in some situations, and vice versa so don't go thinking PLD is useless or any such thing.
                            Odude
                            PS2 Beta tester - Cactaur - Rank 4
                            RDM32 - BLM17 - DRK11 - RNG11 - BRD9 - BST7 - WAR6 - MNK4

Lakshmi: Windurst Rank 10 - Zilart, CoP, ToAU COMPLETE - WotG
                            SAM90 - DRK90 - MNK90 - WAR90 - RNG90 - BST90 - RDM83 - NIN50 - THF46 - DRG42 - BLM40 - PUP23 - WHM20 - PLD13 - BRD13 - BLU10 - SCH10 - DNC7 - COR5 - SMN1

Comment

Originally posted by Onionsoilder
                              Paladin and if your up to it, Blue Mage. The two are completely diffrent jobs, but they are the only two jobs in FFXI that excel (A and A+ skill, respectively) in Swords.

Paladins are less lusterful, but still hold a strong grip on FFXI. They're sword skills are slightly weaker, but the second base in the game.
                              Paladins are the sword masters of FFXI, with a capped level 75 skill of 276, which classifies them as having an A+ skill. This is why we get all the Weaponskills for sword. I don't know exactly what skill Blue Mages have, but I'll trust Lmnop's post that it's A- .

As for being weaker, that's mostly due to the defensive gear setup on a PLD, or rather, lack of offensive setups. We also don't usually get the benefit of subbing Ninja for 2 swords
                              Wevrain - Shiva

Comment

Working...
                              X