I like swords!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I like swords!

Swords are cool, but I don't understand why Wars often say it's either greataxe or sword and shield. You do know that you can equip an axe and a shield right? Axes are good, they're kind of a middleground between a sword and a 2 handed weapon.

But if you REALLY like swords, I would suggest trying out a job that uses them well, like pld or blu. You seem like you'd like blu mage. Also, you mentioned Ninja and katanas are kind of like sword, and have a cool backhanded swinging motion.

Comment

Once again, Axes and Greataxes are better for Warrior, but you could make it from 1-75 using Greatswords.
      lol once you get a rep for being a WAR with GSD you wont get many PT invites...

End-game PLD are always wanted, as much as ninjas. You are right tho, PLD will get a slower invite rate in xp pt tho.

Warrior can use sword ok at end-game too. Mostly with off-hand Joyeusse and meritting sword skill and wearing suppanomimi.

Dual-wielding sword options as war are more-or-less unviable unless you can get a ridill and joyeusse which would make you a monster.
      [main]@75 = BLM+WAR
      [sub]@37+ = NIN THF RNG WHM RDM

Comment

I'll sum up what everyone said:

If WAR, use axes. Wait to use swords for endgame
        If PLD, use sword and shield (or GS, but rarely)
        If DRK, use scythe

Anything other than these combinations will get you hate from the party members and you will find it to be very difficult to level said job. That's just how final fantasy works.

If you want to skill up sword, join skill up parties and use it whenever you're helping your friends, but for xp purposes, don't stray from these combinations.
        ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

The difference between using an Axe/Shield or G. Axe is even noticable in the dunes when you keep your skills up. When I play as WAR, I bring both with me so I can use whichever one my party needs me to use. The other day, I had a party and there were two WARs, me and some other guy. He was using the sword and shield combination and he was only hitting for a max of 5 damage compared to my 20 with 1 handed axe or 28 with my G. Axe against low ITs. We were the same level with only a couple of exp points difference. Had he come to the party with an Axe or G. Axe, we could've done stronger WSs for a stronger SC for faster kills.

Comment

Plds are *the* best one handed sword users in game. They have a higher skill then blu, better sword choices then blu (Espadons are just killer) and are the only job with access to Swift Blade. So if you want to be a sword wielding tank be a Pld. The only trouble they have in regards to use is in high lvl 'tp burn' pts where no one tanks, everyone subs nin and spam WS. And even in those circumstances you can gear for DD, sub nin and go to town with swords. Not only that, but Plds are the *only* job to have three A ranked weapons, not even War can say that.

As for War w/ sword, you *can* do anything you want in this game. Doesn't mean you'll get invites though. Great axe gets two of the best pre 55 WS, in the forms of Shield Break and Sturmwind, as well as stellar DoT. And starting at 43 you gain access to some *sick* axes, in the form of CC+2 axes then upgrading to Viking Axes at 48. And when you get to 55 you pretty much have no choice but to sub nin and dual axes as you gain Rampage, a WS that's good all the way through end game. At 60 Gaxe gains a new WS that evens out the playing field vs axes again and also gains one of *the* strongest WS in all of End game. War's with swords are a very rare sight unless they have some very specific swords.

Also I find it kinda ironic you don't want to be a Pld due to fear of low invites yet think that being a War with a Sword will make things better. People will *always* invite a Pld to tank over a War past 30. And as a war myself I love good Pld tanks cause that means I don't have to hold back on Dmg. I love being able to pop aggressor, Warcry, then WS and not get hate, and I don't know many nins who can hold hate when I do that.

So in short, use that Gaxe till 30, unlock Pld, and play that.
            "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Originally posted by Asir
              He was using the sword and shield combination and he was only hitting for a max of 5 damage compared to my 20 with 1 handed axe or 28 with my G. Axe against low ITs.
              When I first partied in the dunes, I had sword capped and was doing damage in the 20's, and have yet to see a HUGE increase in damage. Yes, Gaxe does more, obviously, but it's also slower. I know later on the gap gets bigger, but swords look cooler.

Also I find it kinda ironic you don't want to be a Pld due to fear of low invites yet think that being a War with a Sword will make things better. People will *always* invite a Pld to tank over a War past 30.
              Read my original post a little more closely. I didnt say that being WAR w/sword would be better. I asked if it was doable. Also, I clearly stated I was leaning more toward DD as opposed to tank.

As always, I appreciate ALL of the input, my question was answered and then some. I'll bug the ffxionline community some more later.

Comment

I did read your first post, it said you were frightened away from becoming a Pld due to 'horror stories' about it's lack of use then ask if being a War DD using swords would work. There are *very* rare circumstances a War will ever use a Gsword and even fewer to main hand a one handed Sword.

If you want to DD with a sword type of weapon your best options are Blu, who uses one handed curved blades but gets more dmg out of their spells, Drk who use Gswords but also need to lvl Scythe as well as it's better in many situations, and Samurai who use Gkatana types swords but use swords none the less.

If you want the traditional sword/shield knight in armor type set up, go Pld like you initially wanted. There is nothing wrong with Pld in any way shape or form.
                "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

From level 1 - 60, WAR lacks good swords WS until Vorpal Blade. Sword WS like Red Lotus Blade or Seraph Blade are Magic/Elemental based, which are not stackable to Sneak Attack, and using INT+ or MND+ as part of the WS damage modifier. Besides, From level 1 - 60, there are only a few swords that has very good stats with it. Combine WAR's B grade skill in sword, your accuracy and damage over time is low in standard experience point parties.

To sum it up:
                  1. WAR's B grade sword skill.
                  2. Lack of good sword selection at low and mid levels.
                  3. Lack of good sword WS from level 1 to 60, lack of good Skillchain options.
                  4. WAR lack of INT/MND to boost sword's elemental WS.
                  5. Sword lack of WS that stacks well with Sneak Attack from level 1 - 60, besides Fast Blade

Even Vorpal Blade is a nice WS, because it is a 4-hit WS, accuracy is import. WAR's B grade swords skill is not going to help.

In my opinion, swords in this game suits for melee/mage hybrid like PLD, BLU and RDM (for some situation).
                  Server: Quetzalcoatl
                  Race: Hume Rank 7
                  75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

OP I strongly suggest you go PLD as you intended in the first place, PLD issues are lvl 70+ (specially if the lack of invites for Merit-burn/BC stuff is what you are concerned about).

Before that you'll get way more invites as a PLD than as a WAR (at least untill Burn party lvl), and there's no chance anyone will invite you more than once as a WAR/NIN with dual swords.

PLD is a great job and has everything you seem to want, so there's really no reason to drop the idea. Plus if you get a good ls or a good group of friends you can static merits once you hit the lvl.

Also SE might implement more things to improve PLD tanking by then anyway.
                    sigpic
                    "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                    Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

@LV61 Sword cap = 199 / Axe Cap = 207
                      @LV75 Sword cap = 250 / Axe Cap = 269
                      [main]@75 = BLM+WAR
                      [sub]@37+ = NIN THF RNG WHM RDM

Comment

When I first partied in the dunes, I had sword capped and was doing damage in the 20's, and have yet to see a HUGE increase in damage. Yes, Gaxe does more, obviously, but it's also slower. I know later on the gap gets bigger, but swords look cooler.
                        Yes, a G. Axe has a long delay on them and that is the only thing I dislike about them. However, they also provide a WAR with those nice damage dealing numbers that are consistantly higher then a WAR using a sword. It is those G. Axe numbers that you get invited for as well as the Break weapon skills to aid the party.

Personally, I love the Axe & Shield combination which is WAR's A or A- skill. It gives me good damage but not great compared to a G. Axe and allows me to work on my shield skills for when I eventually unlock PLD again. However, I also know that a lot of parties prefer me to bring a G. Axe with me for it's damaging numbers and Shield Break since I'm not high enough yet for the other Breaks.

Like everyone else has said, you are just limiting yourself if you plan on just using a Sword and Shield. Once you leave the Dunes, many parties will overlook you if you get a reputation as a player that insists on playing only one way instead of being flexible. Later in levels, finding a party as a DD becomes harder because of how many jobs there are to choose from. Do you really want to make it harder on yourself by not being the best you can be?

Comment

My devotion to being a team player overrides my desire to brandish sharp swords, so Gaxe it is until I get to 30. I still dont know if I'll go PLD or do a complete reversal and go BLM. But again, thank you for setting a newb straight.

Comment

Here's my 2 cents as a 74 PLD, if you want to play the job play it. Final Fantasy XI isn't wow to reach end game and hit 75 I've taken nearly 2 years. I'm a slow leveller and I've played every job near enough to around level 20. The important thing is to play the job right.

If you choose to be a sword wielding WAR you will reduce your parties efficiency, that is not up for debate. Many parties can and will kick you for it once you've passed level 20 or so, even if you form parties people may walk away once they see your weapon choice. At the very least a large number of LSes will see your name in lights as the n00b WAR with the sword, suffice not good for building a reputation.

Now the positive side of things, PLD is by no means a neglected job. I've found invites relatively free thorughout my levels other than about 35 - 45 when NINs just rule the roost. For the merit TP burns PLDs are still very good, the problem is most PLDs think I'm a tank and have no other set up. For parties now I tank in at least 50% DD and if theres a NIN can go full DD and not make a total yutz of myself. To do this costs, it costs lots and requires you to work at your job, if you're not afraid of that people will know you have the kit after a while and still invite you.

For the love of god do not play any job other than you want in FFXI, this is not bubblegum like WoW you'll be playing a long time so play to enjoy what you do.

Comment

You're quite welcome. I would rather see a new player do well in the game then come back to the forums a month or so later complaining about lack of invites due to bad choices or quitting. WAR is a very fun job to play and I'm sure you'll be quite happy with the G. Axe damage once you get your skills close to cap or capped.

Good luck in your adventures and may you always die with your boots on.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziero
                                Plds are *the* best one handed sword users in game. They have a higher skill then blu, better sword choices then blu (Espadons are just killer) and are the only job with access to Swift Blade. So if you want to be a sword wielding tank be a Pld. (...)
                                Hi, my Sword skill is 278 (Merits + Suppanomimi + Fortitude Torque) and I'm *the* best swords wielder in the game. And guess what, I'm a War/Nin and a (blink) tank.

Try doing this with a lolPaladin or a Blue Mage, please.

Warrior/Ninja is an excellent tank throughout the whole game and specially past LV74 and holds hate through damage minimizing the damage taken via Utsusemi; find me a weapon combo with higher DPS than Ridill/Joyeuse and I'll use it, for the moment my Swordx2 set up (along with Axe/Ridill, for some instances, since Rampage is such a powerful Weapon Skill) is the best endgame weapon choice my WAR has.

Steel Cyclone may be cool at times for damage spikes (although its superiority as WS is debateable, a fully buffed Rampage can do as much if not more damage 90% of times, while subbing ninja and at 100% TP lol) but RidillWAR Damage overtime is way higher on pretty much anything, damage'able HNMs included and War/Nin usefulness is way higher than the /Thf counterpart.

Meripo: 380+; LS: Not a HNMLS; Garuda server.

Comment

Working...
                                X