Subjob dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subjob dilemma

I am a rdm main, but I have leved war to 18, mainly to sub to my thf and drk which I'm taking to 37... I am considering raising it to 37, but was wondering about my inappropriate subjobs.

I went to 18 as a war/rng, soloing mostly but also pulling or main tanking in the dunes. It was not the most appropriate sub, but it worked ok, even as a tank. I am wondering how long it is viable as a subjob, or if another job I have could be used. I also have thf, pld, drk, sam, drg, blu and bst as potential subjobs levelled, are any of these appropriate as a sub?

Basically I want to know if /mnk and /nin are the only answers to 37, or if /rng or /thf (or one of the others) is fine to use. I plan to level ninja, but have no real wish to level monk, should I wait until I have ninja levelled or go with what I've got?

Re: Subjob dilemma

If you want to be the best WAR you can be, then you should have MNK and NIN as an option. Ideally you'd use MNK as a sub to 30, and then switch out for THF at that point until 37. The reality is that many parties are going to expect you to have NIN as a sub available.

DRG and DRK or even BLU provide some interesting alternatives (DRG as a sub in particular) but most conventional EXP parties aren't going to see that as an option and you'll probably have a hard time with invites. Which sucks, but there you are.

If you're just solo, you can sub whatever you want, of course. You could go to Korroloka and solo on Worms using Marksmanship, but I don't know how successful you'd be, even with a RNG sub. I know that you can at least solo in and around Valkurm or Buburimu to 20, as I've done it several times, including with WAR. So if you want to delay a decision in the subjob area, that's an option for you.

Bottom line: Have the three conventional subs available if you can, and if you like, have some unconventional ones available too. You never know how open-minded a party may be.

Comment

/DRG isnt horrible at 20+ with the addition of Jump. The others are not very useful other than THF post 30. I have never tried BLU as a sub, but the Cocoon spell does add a nice defense boost. My only problem with this is the need for MP and possible duration/def+ gimping due to it being a sub.

Warrior TP Warrior WS

Comment

The only problem (as I mentioned) is convincing your average pick up party of DRGs viability as a sub. Most of the time people aren't going to buy it. Which is really too bad.

None of us can say with 100% certainty that you should use X sub for levels A-D or whatever, with a few minor exceptions, at least. Having a variety available to you is your best bet for having a relatively pain-free experience from 30-37.

Tokitoki, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "The others are not very useful other than THF post 30." I mean, I agree to a certain extent (I prefer to use /THF for 30-37), but every party is different, and sometimes /MNK or /NIN makes more sense at that time (even though it's not perhaps ideal).

I like to keep my options open so I can the slot that the party needs me for to the best of my ability.

Comment

The average pickup party at those lvls will invite War/Whm with great frequency. Having Rng, Drk, or Drg subs 20-30 is no where near as bad, especially for a full time DD war.

Rng = Acc bonus and Sharpshot which, if the War had a Gbow or Xbow with acid bolts, is very effective

Drg = Att bonus and Jump which can help both Dmg and TP gain with a Gaxe

Drk = Att bonus and the highest possible Str in game. Though of the three this is the least useful.

/Mnk is the best all around sub at those lvls because it provides a healthy mix of DD and tanking abilities, where as the other subs are pure DD subs.

Post 30 thf becomes an option, but from 20-30 it's like not having a sub at all.

/Nin is meh at best during those lvls. You have less eva then a nin, less hate holding tools then a nin and a very poor choice in axes outside of a few special stand outs. You can, and should, easily go 18-37 without ever needing nin sub. I know I didn't *have* to sub it until 39-40 and that was because I had a pt with another war friend and I was opening Frag for him using smash axe.

So in short, you certainly don't *need* mnk, but it's great if you need to tank.
          "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone, I think going all out as a DD with /drg will be fun, so I'll give that a try, switching to /thf at 30 (unless I get the awesome Wyvern gear).

I will unlock and level /nin for my rdm main anyway, but I can see myself using a greataxe for a long while, and /drg will be more fun ^^

The +str from /drk is tempting, as an Elvaan I may as well try to max my best DD stat, but the spells would be useless and Jump from /drg would probably out perform a few points of str.

I can see why /mnk is good, I just see it as a pointless sub for my rdm main. I suppose taking it to 18 wouldn't be too painful, next time I need a few dozen seals I'll start ^^ I sure don't *need* it, but it does seem the best sub from 1-30, and a solid tanking sub, so it can't hurt having it around. I sure don't want to try to tank in the jungles with /rng...

Comment

Working...
            X