Another "newb" question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another "newb" question.

Considering the great responses to another thread started by me, maybe you will be able to give me some good suggestions on this topic.

I am a Hume WAR, level 8, based out of Bastok. Bastok, on Carbuncle, is ranked third in the domination of Vanadiel. This means that if I need to buy upgrades at my low rank, I must buy them from the Auction House. The Auction House prices are, to put it mildly, insane. I'm trying to focus on Great Axe and Axe (I read on the FAQ that this is the way to go for WAR), but the "cheapest" Great Axe that I can use at my level is 30,000 (Going off of price history). I don't have 1/30th of that, and I haven't been able to figure out how to acquire that kind of cash.

So I guess my questions are:

1. Is there a less expensive way of buying a Great Axe? (I have a Bronze Axe, I was able to scrap together the cash to buy that from a vendor)

2. Barring a less expensive way of buying a Great Axe, is there any advice on how I can scrounge together 30,000 to buy the one I see on the Auction House?
    Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb. - Dark Helmet

Re: Another "newb" question.

Before buying things on the AH, check if they are available by the guards of your own city. Ask to spend your conquest points, and see if there is any good equip for your level range. If not... AH is your choice lol
    Signature, ah!

Comment

1. There is a merchant in Mhaura who sells the Butterfly Axe. That would not be a fun trip at level 8. Well, it would be fun as in "OMG this is ludicrous I'm going to die I'm going to die I'm going to die." But maybe some kind Carbunclian will offer to buy you one for the cost of the axe and transport (though they're more likely to just buy one at the AH if they're going for "kind").

2. Go up on one of the hills in Gustaberg and kill the bees there. They drop beehive chips. These sell very quickly in Bastok, for five-digits per stack (on Remora they're 20k a stack). You could also try mining in Zeruhn Mines, but the beehive chips are probably faster.
      Ellipses on Fenrir
      There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
      . . .

Comment

You could see if an LS member would be willing to loan you the money until you're able to pay him back. I've loaned and have been loaned gil within my LS, but the items in question were much more expensive. I'm just glad you're not asking the guy standing next to you at the AH.

P.S: This is assuming you've been recruited to a LS...if not farming would be your best bet.

With great power comes complete disregard for any and all responsibility.

Comment

If you can make the trip, you could go to San d'Oria and then go to Fort Ghelsba and log to get gil. It may seem a little daunting to make the trip, and you might need a few more levels first, but its a pretty good way to get gil for the lower levels.
          RDM 75 - SMN 72 - WHM 37 - BLM 37 - DRK 37 -
          Bastok Rank 10 Completed
          Rise of the Zilart 16 "The Celestial Nexus"
          Chains of Promathia 8 - 1 "Garden of Antiquity"
          Treasures of Aht Urghan 13 "Lost Kingdom"

Comment

Hmmm, "BEES!"

The bees are a good suggestion, I did not know that they dropped anything worth selling.

I'm not in a Link Shell, so I don't have that option (/rubs ear) I probably wouldn't borrow money anyway. "Neither a borrower or lender be..."

Guess for now I try my hand at entomology.

Comment

Well, the bees you find right outside Bastok don't drop much worthwhile (Honey is okay but not great). The bees you find up on the hills like Vomp Hill are the ones that drop Beehive Chips.
              Ellipses on Fenrir
              There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
              . . .

Comment

There are plenty of other noteable things you can farm around Bastok.

Grain Seeds - drops off of saplings.
                Quadav Backplate - drops off of Amethyst Quadavs
                Wild Onion - drops off of Goblin Thugs
                Goblin Armor, Mail and Mask - drops off of Goblins

Any time you get a drop you haven't seen before, hold onto it. Keep it until you have time to check the AH. You might be surprised at how much it will fetch on the open market.
                Lyonheart
                lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
                Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
                Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
                Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
                Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
                Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

I guess that it really isn't much of an option, but I hate charging the prices that I have seen in the Auction House for some of the items I have gotten. I've been holding onto a bag of grain seeds because I can't find if I myself can do anything with it yet. I know it sells for 2,000 in the Auction house, but that seems like so much to charge.

I guess I'm one of those "suckers" born every minute.

Comment

If you are going to beat up some innocent bees on Vomp Hill - I'd suggest putting signet on as well and getting crystals at the same time. You can get signet from a gate guard, from Bastok he will have I.M. above his name. The bees should be EP/DC to you, which means with signet and you fight anything that gives you xp, you can get crystals to drop. These can be stacked to 12 and sold at the auction house.

Originally posted by Aksannyi
                    "As a RDM, it should irk you to the depths of your soul when a mob had the audacity to buff itself in front of you."

Comment

It sells for that much because the people who know how to use them effectively can make much, much more than that using them (grain seeds are for gardening, btw). Goblin masks 1k each? I can turn 6 of them into 30k or more in about five minutes.
                      Ellipses on Fenrir
                      . . .

Comment

ffxi.somepage.com

you can search any item here, and if it is sold by an npc, it'll tell you where. sometimes a lot of people dont know that you can buy the same things at npc for less. however sometimes its more expensive. just look at the price history and then look at how much its selling for at npc.

as far as making gil in bastok. sell crystals for starters. beehive chips and honey sell well. once you make it out to konchatat highlands, sheepskins too.

good luck.
                        Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
                        ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

It may seem like alot to charge 20k for beehive chips or 2k for wind crytals, but like Ellipses said, people can make even more gil from that. I can take 3 stacks of Beehive Chips and a stack of Slime Oil(85,000 gil) and make 200,000 gil from it. Others will buy the products becsuse they can make 500,000 gil doing another, and the person above them, 700,000, etc.
                          Originally posted by Ellipses
                          Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
                          Originally posted by MCLV
                          A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
                          More Sig:

Comment

Originally posted by LyonheartLakshmi
                            There are plenty of other noteable things you can farm around Bastok.

Grain Seeds - drops off of saplings.
                            Quadav Backplate - drops off of Amethyst Quadavs
                            Wild Onion - drops off of Goblin Thugs
                            Goblin Armor, Mail and Mask - drops off of Goblins
                            All good suggestions, but Wild Onion drops in Gustaberg suck. They don't drop much. If you get any, go ahead and keep them. Just don't aim for them.

I'd also like to add that as you kill worms, you get Zinc and Copper Ore. Zinc sells pretty well in Bastok due to Goldsmithing guild and Norg fame quest.

Here's what to do with Copper Ore:
                            Fire Crystal + 4x Copper Ores = Copper Ingot.

It's a low level synth. The ingots stack and sell pretty well. Fire Crystals will drop from Lizards and some Goblins, providing you have signet on.

You can also synth with the zinc ores. Fire Crystal + 3x Copper Ores + Zinc Ore = Brass Ingot. If you do this, you don't have to deal with inventory issues with the Zinc Ores, but it is a level 9 synth. I don't suggest doing this until your Goldsmithing is at the Copper Ingot cap of 3. You'll get breaks as you begin, but it will get better as your Goldsmithing skill gets closer to 9.
                            Last edited by Haggai; 06-23-2006, 08:01 AM.
                            Haggai

i Am ThE bLaCk MaGe.
                            I cAsTs ThE sPeLlS tHaT mAkEs ThE pEoPlEs FaLl DoWn.

Comment

And if you're going for sheepskin, you might as well turn it into sheep leather (dark crystal, sheepskin x1, windurstian tea leaves x1, distilled water x1). It's a level 2 leatherworking recipe, so you can do it from the start without many breaks, and the profit is ridiculous even if you buy the leaves off the AH.

Overwhelmed with information yet?
                              Ellipses on Fenrir
                              . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X