X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Great Axe...?

Originally posted by Feba
    Ranged accuracy. wtf?
    Maybe DRG was meant to be a Pebble DD! Imagine a DRG/RNG spamming Empyreal Pebble

Edit> as a side note, any chance R. Acc affects Jumps?
    sigpic
    "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
    Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

nope, Jump is a physical attack. It stacks with your melee weapon, double attack, triple attack, critical hits, and in general melee buffs.

This is way DRK/DRG KClub+SE = win ^-^

btw, jump stacks with sneak attack

Comment

Great Axe is good to have.. it's always better to have more than Axe level up. You never know when you have to sub thf for Raging Rush. I'd level up spear and Gsword too if I had time but they don't have a lot of use for War though.

In a PT with a Nin, Mnk 2 mages and 1 support, the 1st thing they will need at this time is a Thf or someone with /thf sub. Or a lv60 PT with a Drk/War, you will want to sub Thf to make the SC works well and the PT rolling. Or you can sub /nin and blame the tank being {Too weak} or the Drk is stupid and worthless subbing War.

Comment

On a side-note and lil off-topic (yeah I know these mobs have basically negative def but still). This one were a 4-hitter and no SATA (friend Draganor subbed /NIN so yeah).

Wierd stuff happens in Promies from time to time when using a Greataxe.
          Attached Files
          Keep in mind, sig might be outdated I just update it a few times per week.
          Signature with the usual levels and obtained stuff etc. . .

Comment

Great Axe is good to have think of how u want to be in the end game side of it. Axe is great or merit pts and all but in the END when it comes to Gods and HNM everyone wants a Great Axe used from warrior. and the fact that great axe is A+ where axe is A- makes a difference in teh end game aspect of GA. i am thinking of doing some testing removing all ym Axe merits and Meriting GA to +16 skill and trying a few ws's I am a taru and the highest Steel Cyclone i have done is only 1300 whereas my highest rampage is 1600. i think i could probably get in the 1800's with rampage on an IT mob in exp but it would require luck for double attack and crit hits and a few other equips i can't afford right now.

as for great axe i think if used properly u could get well into the 2k's with ease and /thf makes it great for exchanging hate on gods.

Comment

from level 1 iv'e been keeping axe capped and at 5 keeping gaxe capped as well. if you keep there levels close through your time leveling whichever job you choose which can use both then you should be fine. axe to me isnt worth it even with raging axe at a low level. rampage[level 175] is when it becomes more combat effective. the delay is lower then a gaxe as far as i can tell but then again dw caused it to be almost like a ga or other two handed weapon[ delay seemed to be almost the same ] then again with dw axe you can possibly attack up to 4 times i think. sturmwind at 300tp is worth it , shield break and armor break are awesome with 150+ tp. eva loss and def loss help the lower dmg dealing members [ nin , thf etc ] in dealing that little extra. hope that helps

SoulOfLobo
              [ Greatest Asura LS ]
              War / Nin [40]

Comment

I've always tried to keep both my axe and great axe capped when I play warrior. I also used my war for skilling great sword and scythe for my drk (both jobs are in the 40s).

Just hit a dilemma on my choice of GA at the moment. I can't figure out which is better, my Horror Voulge or my Raifu. I've used both on xp mobs and can't find any difference in the damage between the two.

I have a pair of Viking axes ready for when I hit 48 and am /nin, but I like to use GA when /thf. Also I have a Gigant Axe ready for when I hit 49.

I think GA is one of the most underrated weapons in the game. They have damage equal to a scythe and have slightly lower delays, the break weapon skills are fantastic and Sturmwind has is possibly the most powerful low level ws in the game.

Comment

've used both on xp mobs and can't find any difference in the damage between the two.
                  I'd recommend the horror volge, but if you can't see any difference at all, sell whichever is more expensive, unless you need the Horror for 40 cap, in which case sell raifu.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba
                    I'd recommend the horror volge, but if you can't see any difference at all, sell whichever is more expensive, unless you need the Horror for 40 cap, in which case sell raifu.
                    Both are pretty cheap on the AH, around 10k-20k each last time I checked. I like the horror voulge for the vit+1 if I have to tank and the fact that my drk can use it but I also like the Raifu if we are fighting water based mobs (looks better too). Doubt I will be doing any 40 cap events/BCs with my warrior. Hmm decisions, decisions.........

Thanks anyway.

Comment

• Re: Great Axe...?

again with dw axe you can possibly attack up to 4 times i think.
                      This is a misconception....while it looks cool and seems you are attacking more, you really arent, if you single wield them you have just an equal chance of swinging two times, and getting double attack off both of them. That is equivalent to dual wielding and swinging 4 times because of the delay between swings is lengthened. This might not be true once you get DWII though.

Comment

There is a slight, very slight, delay reduction with DWI, but yea... GAxes huh? <.<

Warrior TP Warrior WS

Comment

A slight delay also means lower TP gain per individual hit if i recall correctly.

Comment

yea

Warrior TP Warrior WS

Comment

Originally posted by lionx
                              This is a misconception....while it looks cool and seems you are attacking more, you really arent, if you single wield them you have just an equal chance of swinging two times, and getting double attack off both of them. That is equivalent to dual wielding and swinging 4 times because of the delay between swings is lengthened. This might not be true once you get DWII though.
                              Compared to a Gaxe when dual-wielding Axe you do get more chanches to Double Attack due to the number of attacks over time.

You will have the same amount of chances to Double-attack with single wield or Dual-wield Axes over time.
                              Disclaimer
                              Just meant to illustrate what diffrences there are between Axe/DW Axe/Gaxe.
                              Lets illustrate this with ganing 100% TP without considering DA proc at 85% accuracy, and assume Double Attack proc is around 10%.
                              Single-wield Axe
                              The standard Axe is around 288 delay so which is 7.85 TP per hit.

The axe needs 15 attacks with 85% accuracy to reach 100% TP (14.98 to be exakt but rounding up), this is 15 combat rounds or ~72 seconds.

During this the chance to see an Double Attack is quite likely since we assume the proc is 10% or 1/10 attacks and if that double attack hits we get down to 14 combat rounds (67) instead of 15 (~72s) to get 100% TP.

This would be a net gain of 5 seconds or 6.9% faster to reach 100% TP and WS + SC.

Dual-wield Axe
                              The standard Axe is around 288 delay so with 2 delay 288 Axes and DW I our total delay comes out at 518 ((288*2)*0.9) which is 7.06 TP per hit.

The axe needs 17 attacks with 85% accuracy to reach 100% TP (16.66 to be exakt but rounding up), this is 9 combat rounds or ~77 seconds.

During this the chance to see an Double Attack is quite likely since we assume the proc is 10% or 1/10 attacks and if that double attack hits we get down to 8 combat rounds (69s) instead of 9 (~77s) to get 100% TP.

This would be a net gain of 8 seconds or 10.4% faster to reach 100% TP and WS + SC.

Great Axe
                              A common Great Axe has 504 Delay and gives 13.74 Tp per hit.

The great axe needs 9 attacks with 85% accuracy to reach 100% TP (8.56 to be exact but rounding up), this is 9 combat rounds or ~75 seconds.

During this time the chance to see an Double Attack is possible but not likely since we assume that proc is only 10% and 1/10 attacks.

I f a double attack did proc we would get down to 8 combat rounds (~67s) instead of 9 (~75s) to get 100% TP.

This would in this case be a net gain of 8 seconds as well or 10.7% faster to reach 100% TP and WS + SC.
                              Conclusion
                              Both Great Axe and Axe benefit equally from double attack when it comes to TP gain.

However Dual-wielding Axes comes out on top due to the higher number of attacks that Double Attack can proc on to get 100% TP compared to Great Axe.

And due to how much time a single double attack can shave off in combat round time for a dual-wielder compared a Warrior that single-wield axes.

Conclusion
                              (Bad grammar and bad choice of words, kept for the sake of me being quoted. Also what you get for posting before breakfast and coffee)
                              Both Great Axe and Axe benefit equally from double attack when it comes to TP gain.

However Dual-wielding Axes comes out on top due to the higher number of attacks that Double Attack can proc on to get 100% TP while Dual-wielding Axes.

And due to how much a single double attack can shave off in time for a dual-wielder when it comes to combat rounds.

Originally posted by lionx
                              A slight delay also means lower TP gain per individual hit if i recall correctly.
                              DW I is a slight delay "bonus" of 10%, and yes it does lower TP gain per hit, but remain the same TP gain over time (when they changed the TP formula they even increased the TP gain with about 4% for a Warrior that dual-wields Axes/Swords compared to the old formula).

A Warrior cannot with either the old or new forumula abuse the TP floor since we couldn't reach it with any Axe/Sword combo that we usually equipped.
                              Last edited by Liquidedust; 07-13-2006, 10:46 PM. Reason: Forgot to include the single Axe example
                              Keep in mind, sig might be outdated I just update it a few times per week.
                              Signature with the usual levels and obtained stuff etc. . .

Comment

Conclusion

However Dual-wielding Axes comes out on top due to the higher number of attacks that Double Attack can proc on to get 100% TP while Dual-wielding Axes.

And due to how much a single double attack can shave off in time for a dual-wielder when it comes to combat rounds.
                                I don't see how you reach this conclusion. Using your own logic, DA will probably kick in once, but probably not twice for Dual Weilded Axes. Since an Axe swing is roughly half a GA swing, an axe DA is roughly half the worth of a GA DA. Also, when you do get that DA in with the Great Axe, the ammount of time shaved off to reach 100 TP is far greater than the time you save by getting an Axe DA. Either way, you can't just go with "since Axe does 10+ swings, you'll most likely get a DA." I've tried to do DA tests, and it's VERY erratic. I've started off some tests with like 15 out of 80 attack rounds getting DA, which is much higher than a 10% proc rate, and then I'll hit a dry spell where I hardly get any DAs at all to balance it out. What happens when you get 2 GA DA swings on the same 0-to-100 TP set of swings? You also left out that if DA kicks in on a GA WS, you get a much bigger increase in damage than getting a DA in, say, Raging Axe.

Double Attack benefits all weapons pretty much evenly. Wether DW Axes or Great Axe are better is purely depending on the weapon's DMG/Delay ratings, and WS.

Comment

Working...
                                X