This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: War/ Nin or War/Sam?

(Not directed at the above poster in particular...) If you're going to use an inefficient job combo, just don't party while you use it, because you'll be leeching EXP. And yeah, level all of them, they all have circumstances in which they excell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dyanisus
      okay NOW I just want to make sure of it, SHOULD I get NIN as Sub-job at WAR30? Or should I just lvl my MNK and my NIN as subs?
      you should go ahead and get /nin. if you can't afford it, /thf is very good as a dd, and i keep hearing /mnk is a good tank, though i've never seen it past kazam and never used it past dunes.

the problem with /mnk is that it IS less "popular" that /nin and /thf. i'm sure it's an excellent combo, but i'm not about to invite one to find out. i'll stick with what i've seen, that i know works, /nin and /thf.

if you want to go against the mold and show people something new, keep /mnk after 30. if you want to just do what a lot of people expect you to do, go ahead and level your /nin. if you don't think you can afford /nin, go /thf.

you'll want /nin levelled sooner or later. might as well level it now. it's not too expensive for the first 25 levels or so. all you still need at that point is utsusemi, which you can quest.

ionia of Cait Sith! 75 RDM, 75 THF
      Plotting World Domination and doing silly emotes on a server probably not near you!
      I live to entertain!

Comment

i'm sure it's an excellent combo, but i'm not about to invite one to find out. i'll stick with what i've seen, that i know works, /nin and /thf.
        It makes you wonder how before NIN was tank, who was the other tank >_>; WAR/MNKs, i am pretty sure it works out, its just not the IN thing to do when NIN became a blink tank. Plus what you say makes me sad in the pants D:

Comment

>.> sad in the pants? wtf lol. >.< i dont see how nin war and pld can be tanks and my drg keeps better hate thin most plds and wars i mean thay most of the time cant keep it off me

im so cute dont you just want to make love to me ^.^

Comment

>.> the reason why nin, war, and pld are tanks and drg is not is because ninja, war, and pld take less damage than drg when they tank...

and i wasn't trying to make you "sad in the pants" (whatever that means) i'll invite a war/mnk, but i'm sure there are a lot of players who won't.

like you said, war/nin is just the "in" thing to do...

ionia of Cait Sith! 75 RDM, 75 THF
            Plotting World Domination and doing silly emotes on a server probably not near you!
            I live to entertain!

Comment

good point i do take alot of damge when i used to tank >.< i hated to be the tank i could never get the voke right and id be to slow at doing it to.... i wonder if nin/mnk would work

Comment

As a rule of thumb, if it doesn't have Provoke, it can't tank. A tank has two jobs: take as little damage as possible, and manage hate so that when someone is getting hit, it's him.

It's quite possible to /MNK tank all the way up to 45 (haven't levelled WAR any further, but I'm sure you could go higher.) You can take hits just as well as a PLD, if not better (PLD doesn't get Defender.) Sure, you don't have MP, but you do have higher HP and you bring other things to the table, like Shield Break (Evasion -40 is a big plus no matter how you slice it.) WAR/MNK TP gain is quite good too, between taking hits, Counter, and Double Attack. Their hate gain is also good, between the extra hits and the Boost spamming. Neither of them are THE tank, but they're all viable.

I consider /THF to be a more efficient DD than /NIN, the difference being that /NIN can save some hits for the tank. If I have a WAR/NIN in my party I expect him to use those shadows every now and then. Of course, WAR/THF can do some heavy Sturmwind damage and also match dual-weilded axe WS damage using Sneak Attack. Depends on your party's needs.

Comment

/mnk tanking dies out pretty fast after 40 imo.
                  all mages will most likely hate having to deal with the amount of dmg you are taking as well. before 40, sure its totally doable, but certainly one of the least efficient ways to tank. hate gain is better i suppose through dmg but by that time, pld gets flash to securely lock in hate. nin will have utsusemi ni to securely negate dmg as well. what the above poster said is true. no /war, no tank.
                  Last edited by Omni-Ragnarok; 12-19-2005, 01:53 PM.
                  Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
                  ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

very true i waz just wanting to know if nin/mnk waz a good thing becuz i never used it

Comment

Originally posted by Omni-Ragnarok
                      /mnk tanking dies out pretty fast after 40 imo.
                      all mages will most likely hate having to deal with the amount of dmg you are taking as well. before 40, sure its totally doable, but certainly one of the least efficient ways to tank. hate gain is better i suppose through dmg but by that time, pld gets flash to securely lock in hate. nin will have utsusemi ni to securely negate dmg as well. what the above poster said is true. no /war, no tank.

Once again, i tanked to 73 with /MNK, and I didn't take this insane damage you guys seem to think I would. How many of you have actualyl TRIED at that level? Ask anyone on midgardsormr who PTed with my /MNK, they'll tell you, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Zyph
                        Once again, i tanked to 73 with /MNK, and I didn't take this insane damage you guys seem to think I would. How many of you have actualyl TRIED at that level? Ask anyone on midgardsormr who PTed with my /MNK, they'll tell you, lol.
                        I havent partied with you but i agree, it just doesnt seem to make sense that WARs cannot tank with a MNK sub(NIN without a BRD and vs some monsters...is just not going to work out...). I heard a RDM from beta i partied with say that things are different now than it was back then and WARs cant tank past 50. I didnt believe it, i just think that most WARs do not want to tank, i asked alot of WARs to tank when PLDs or NINs werent availible, and most do not want to. Saddening at times as it makes everyone wait longer.

I just wanna ask, what is good WAR Tanking gear..? Is AF enough? and for how long if it is?

Comment

I dunno, PLDs tank 'til Adaman with their AF, don't they? I haven't compared WAR AF to other armors, but it has very good VIT, HP (around +80 I think,) and Enmity (+13!) I don't think anyone would want to give that up Not to mention the traditional Defensive Skill +10 (in this case, shield) that comes with AF.

Comment

Working...
                          X