This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Keeping skilled up

I don't think I understood any of what you just said. Apple Pie himself said the lower your delay, the lower your tp return. Dual Wielding gives lower delay, and in turn, gives lower tp. I don't think animation rate has anything to do with the game mechanics. I take it with your last sentence you're alluding to a theory that you and likely your LS have come up with where there's a base delay that works with weapon delay. It's an interesting concept but I'm skeptical of anything of the sort. As far as we know, and as far as the delay tests have shown (60 delay = 1 second or whatever), the delay on weapons is, in fact, their actual delay. I believe HtH is the only weapon with a natural delay, and ranged attacks are just goofy.
    ... anyway, you are right that 5% more swings is 5% more chances for double attack to kick in. My point still remains though, that axe/shield (particularly a shield with an offensive bonus on it) won't be -terrible- DD. In fact, I think it would outpace or at least keep up with all those sam/thf and drk/thf you see at those levels. And most certainly the mnk/thf who don't even use SA raging fists... not that it would be impressive anyway. SA One Inch Punch 4tw! ... anyway, if this goes on any longer, I'll spend an hour finding links (I seem to be search-retarded) and post my findings and analysis or... something.

Ok, you said dual axe will almost always out-tp greataxe. Well... I'm of the rare type of warrior that thinks that if you're using a great axe and not /thf, you should be shield breaking. It's that good that I used it 'til 50. Anything that's not undead will get the effect and your party will feel it. Sturmwind is utter crap w/out SA. The only redeeming point of it is that it's better than absolutely every axe WS (in my experience at least, and I picked up war/nin in upper 30s, war/thf in lower 40s, war/mnk for life.) at that level. Shield break will always make up for DW effect pre-50. After 50, I can't see shield break's worth, but by then greataxe is already losing spotlight anyway so it's a pointless train of thought.

I'd like to take this time to make a very important point. Before this goes on too long, I want to make it clear that I argue for knowledge, not to be right. If you can prove me wrong, I will be proven wrong. The problem with KI, for instance, is that everyone posts to be right and to look good, everyone assaults, no one debates. Or you get stupid arguments where one person is nice and will accept points while the other person is stubborn and won't budge even though s/he's overbearingly wrong and then win through sheer force of stupidity (and stupid is what I would call winning an argument that you're wrong about). By looking at the progression of my posts, you can already see that I've moved from "axe/shield is barely under axe/axe" to "axe/shield isn't the worst thing you could do. You'll still be decent." And I'm not ashamed of it. The point on double attack kicking in is extremely valid.
    Insert witty closing comment here.
    "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

ok, isnt double attack a proc rate of 9-12%? Regardless of your weapon, and keeping in mind Raging Axe is probably the best thing you can use until Rampage, wouldnt it make sense to go with Damage over delay? Before I got to the bottom of the post, I was gonna post this exact thing:
      Another quick note: even though I hate dual-wielding pre-48/50, I'll cede that it's not too shabby @40. Dual CC axes or CC + AF works really well.
      CC + AF: DMG 64 Delay 528 STR & DEX +2, Attack +5
      Huge Moth Axe: DMG 59 Delay 504 STR +2
      Raifu: DMG 63 Delay 504 Additional Effect Lightning Damage.
      Hell, even at 25-30 you get a feel for the differences in GAxe and Axe. That in mind, I too feel that GAxe generally outperforms Axe until the 40s, where its basically even. But then in the 50s, its not DW2 that creates the gap, it's Gaxe's lack of anything with omph. I noticed that it is increasingly easier to keep hate in the front when using a GAxe at this level. Higher base damage meant for me that even if it was a High Defense mob, with Double Attack and no Berserk I'd be able to keep the mob between myself and the tank.

I experienced a wierd trade off- I would have loved to try my hand at WAR tanking as a Taru, but that required me to constantly keep Defender up. Furthermore, my damage with an Axe-Shield combo as Taru at 28 wasnt impressive, forcing me to use Defender with a Great Axe. I suppose in some wierd way it balanced out, but my point is that the higher base damage served its purpose. Possibly an isolated incident, but felt I should mention it.

One more thing, I didnt know that with DW you can count the damage of both the weapons combined. Shouldnt you count the individual damage of each weapon once instead of them together as one weap?

I'm basing this on the equation determining damage dealt, where base damage is an important factor. Gah, anyone following me? I wrote some more, but I lost myself cause I was a bit confused.
      The Tao of Ren
      FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
      Originally posted by Kaeko
      As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

WARNING! EXPECT ME TO JUMP THROUGH MANY TOPICS!

first things first: raging axe is ass. All Axe WS are crap 'til Rampage. Sturmwind blows them all out of the water. You are right that once rampage is attained, greataxe has nothing to offer. What you mean about it being figured as 2 different damages is that it's not "CC + AF: DMG 64 Delay 528 STR & DEX +2, Attack +5" it's really "CC + AF: Delay 528 DMG 31 STR & DEX +2 Attack +5; plus an extra attack at DMG 33 STR & DEX +2 Attack +5." In other words, it may have combined delay 528, but it's not fair for me to lump them into the same damage roll like that since it's 2 hits. I.e. 2 chances to miss. And then there's the fact that STR vs. Attack will differ depending on layout. I barely ever used defender when tanking, made me lose hate too fast.
        Maybe I don't have much math to back it up, but I've always felt I was doing more with greataxe before. I know, a lot of people see numbers and not delay (people who think dark knights are the best DD are good examples of this) but in the lower 40s, I remember hitting spiders for 100-110 when berserk was on (not always, but it broke 100 often enough to make me grin). The few times I whipped out my dual axes (did a lot of war/nin + brd tanking through there so I'd war/nin with greataxe often and switch out for dual wield when I could), I never saw numbers compare to that. This is where the "It's all about DoT, dude" thing -would- come in, except I already underlined that the delay on dual axes is actually bigger. I would have to be hitting over 50 each hand to keep up (50 if they were the same delay, but it's not). And of course I was using Shield Break which usually dealt about the same damage as Raging Axe (~100ish. Shield Break does very slightly more than melee under most circumstances) I will admit that I didn't do too much testing. This is rather anecdotal evidence and while typing this it has occured to me that I'm a meat-eater so my attack was through the roof. According to Mythrael's findings on that thread in the monk forums, 2-handers do get more use out of attack than 1-handers. I think that sushi is a waste at those levels, but I suppose if you decked yourself with nothing but +STR and ate sole sushi for its additional STR, your double axes would outdo your greataxe.

My thoughts: Greataxe is fantastic in the 40s. To all you war/nin 30s out there: Please please please, keep greataxe leveled (you'll need it @70 anyway) and jog it out in exp every once in a while. As for war/thf, no one is allowed to bash this combination. It is the most devastating job combo 30-50, where other jobs start to keep up. Note that while before I stated that you may be able to build yourself to have dual wield better (doubtful still) or at least as good as (more likely) greataxe, that's still with nin sub. /thf with greataxe will always outperform pre 50. Taking hate isn't an issue in a good layout, and in worse layouts (ones where you're stuck doing SA Iron Tempest), you won't get enough hate to worry about it. Or, worse comes to worst, you just turn around or stop using warcry before WS. Even turning around for 8 seconds every other battle, you'll still outdo war/nin at those levels.
        "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

Working...
        X