This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sniper rings vs. STR rings

OK, first of all let me give you the background to why I'm asking this. I started XI as a RDM two and a half years ago. I took it to 75, then I got really, really sick of people constantly making little biting remarks about how elvaans make bad mages, so I decided to raise an attacker job. I picked WAR for a lot of the same reasons I ORIGINALLY picked RDM, including versatility and the fact that it just struck me as being fun. I raised it to 61 and then quit to go back to my mage roots and go SMN. I've raised SMN to 73 and I anticipate having it at 75 very soon, and I really DO want to go back and finish up my (now 62 - I soloed an EP skeleton after the exp update and leveled it lol) WAR.

When I retired my WAR, over a year ago, sushi wasn't invented yet. All attackers at that point in time pretty much used mithkabobs/cheifkabobs. My WAR, when I retired it, used a haubergeon, two sniper rings, etc, etc, etc. I was looking into what it would cost to get all my old equipment back, and while money is not really a major concern for me, I don't want to waste a ton of gil on something that's not as useful as it once was. A 68 WAR friend of mine told me that most 60+ WARs now use STR rings rather than sniper rings, because sushi serves the same basic purpose that the snipers served back when I was a WAR.

Since it's been so long since I was a WAR, I don't really know whether what he's saying is correct. I want to be sure I get the best equipment I can afford to perform as well as I possibly can. What do most WARs use these days? Still using snipers, or do most use STR rings? What do you guys suggest is my best bet? Does the fact that I'm Elvaan come into play in this decision at all?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, I've just been out of the damage dealing loop for so long I don't know what's what anymore ><; ...And starting out as a 62 and looking like a giant noob isn't exactly something I want to do.
    召75|吟75|黒75|赤75|戦72|白60|獣40|忍37| 暗37|シ37|ナ32|侍30|モ30|竜21|青14||か8| 狩7|コ7
    San D'oria: Rank 10 | Windurst: Rank 10 | Bastok: Rank 10 | Cooking: 97 | Zilart - Completed | CoP - Completed

Re: Sniper rings vs. STR rings

Because WARs don't really lack in ACC and they also have JA Aggressor, I'd think... STR > ACC.
    If I were you, I'd get 2 Victory Rings and keep them until Triumph Rings.
    Sony NW-E507 [wishlist]

Comment

STR rings definately, You'll notice a huge hit in damage with -8 str using sushi... or any food for that matter. Even when I use attack foods at 75 I keep the STR rings on. Just keep aggressor and berserk up as much as possible, it makes the most difference.
      http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?45061

Comment

From my understanding good Wars always used Str rings unless fighting mobs with obscenely high eva like raptors or Torama. You could always try to get Vernerer/Woodsman/Jeager rings if you have CoP access. Each one of those is close enough to a sniper to not make a huge difference in acc while at the same time being free to get if you go with friends. Just switch them in if you seem to be having a lot of acc prblems and you should be good to go. Otherwise the rest of your gear should cover you Acc needs enough that you could use meat AND Str rings.
        "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

It depends, as Elvaans we have the highest natural STR.

Right now I am using STR rings thats because I have 33 ACC with my two viking axes.

This is my current setup

If I had to change I'll boost as much ACC as I can.

At level 60 I'm aiming toward the Haub with two Snipers the Haub alone gives a nice STR and Attack boost. Agg is really nice but it doesn't stay on you forever so you'll need to depend on your gear to connect hits to get Skillchains ready. It's such a pain trying to do a skillchain with a ranger that gain TP so fast ; ;
          Blm.75 - Whm.56 - Mnk.58 - Rdm.48 - Nin.37 - War.37 - Drk.37

Merits - 98
          Goldsmith - 85.2

Comment

It will have to depend on party somewhat.

Trying to trade TP blows with a drg, so the blm can burst and you'll find youself needing a lot more acc for constantess.

In those cases anyway, your DoT isn't needed very much, when the blm is built to to do 2-3k of damage once the it SCs.

Rampage also fluctuates a little as well, so if you're on mistral by that point, you can skim more.

The last tier str rings are pretty expensive now anyway, and there are cheaper ways to lessen your str loads.

The neck slot for instance, and an osode in place of herk, etc.

Comment

Currently I am using STR rings on my level 62 war with sushi it seems to work nicely with Axes and Great Axe.

Comment

in my opinion, loading yourself up with acc equipment and eating atk food if the mobs you are exping off of are "Low evasion" seems to do good for me. Just switch to str equipment when you do ws.
                RNG 75 / DRG 75 / NIN 75 / WAR 73 / THF 46 / SAM 39 / BLM 31 / WHM 31 / DRK 17 / BST 15 / MNK 12 / BRD 9 / SMN 8 / PLD 5 / RDM 5

Comment

I'm popping the +acc right now. However when I get steel cyclone I will likely still keep some of the +acc but make a equip switch macro for weaponskills.
                  Dig A10; Main: Bonecraft 100+3/subs: 60/Fishing 59.7
                  Mules: Cooking 100+3/Alchemy 77.7

http://www.youtube.com/Ayrlie

Comment

lol sushi adds 5 str, it dont add a huge amount to your per hit or ws numbers though...

fact is 10 acc at the cost of both of your ring slots isnt worth it, but 8 str (IMO) is.

i wore two snipers+1 on my war for a while as was seriously pissed off with the results, sushi adds so much acc is disgusting, there really is no need forsnipers nowadays for a warrior.
                    Why be like someone famous when you can be like me.

Comment

I'm fortunate to have a peacock charm so I use two victory rings over snipers.

Which FF Character Are You?

Comment

I never played WAR up really high before, but even playing DRK, I feel the perspective is about the same (Especially with Gaxe wielding WARs)

I think as a WAR/NIN dual wielding one-handed weapons, your accuracy is a lot better than high delay two handed weapons. With sushi and job abilities like Aggressor, you can equip STR rings.

However ...

A MNK's LJ entry has made me wonder about this for WAR/NIN. On the flipside, why don't WAR/NINs use Bison Steak/Red Curry instead and go full Acc+/Crit+ gear? I can see a much better damage potential with this setup. You get mad, mad attack (Imagine how it is with Berserk on) ...

... just a thought. ;3

Bison Steak
                        • Strength +6
                        • Agility +1
                        • Intelligence -3
                        • Lizard Killer
                        • Attack +18% (Cap: 90@500 Base Attack)
                        • Ranged Attack +18% (Cap: 90@500 Base Ranged Attack)

Hedgehog Pie
                        • HP +55
                        • Strength +6
                        • Vitality +2
                        • Intelligence -3
                        • Mind +3
                        • MP Regeneration While Healing +2
                        • Attack +18% (Cap: 90@500 Base Attack)
                        • Ranged Attack +18% (Cap: 90@500 Base Ranged Attack)
                        • Accuracy +5
                        Red Curry
                        • HP +25
                        • Strength +7
                        • Agility +1
                        • Intelligence -2
                        • HP Regeneration While Healing +2
                        • MP Regeneration While Healing +1
                        • Attack +23% (Cap: 150@652 Base Attack)
                        • Ranged Attack +23% (Cap: 150@652 Base Ranged Attack)
                        • Resist Sleep
                        • Demon Killer
                        Dragon Soup
                        • HP +20
                        • Strength +7
                        • Agility +2
                        • Vitality +2
                        • Intelligence -3
                        • Attack +22% (Cap: 150@681 Base Attack)
                        • Ranged Attack +22% (Cap: 150@681 Base Ranged Attack)
                        • HP Regeneration While Healing +9
                        • Demon Killer
                        Dragon Steak
                        • HP +25
                        • Strength +7
                        • Intelligence -3
                        • Attack +20% (Cap: 150@750 Base Attack)
                        • Ranged Attack +20% (Cap: 150@750 Base Ranged Attack)
                        • HP Regeneration While Healing +2
                        • MP Regeneration While Healing +2
                        • Demon Killer

Comment

Snipe rings by far, see in my opinion when your talking physical damge I would have to go for more Accuracy since you could have all the DDing power in the world but if your ACC is drained low because of it you wont be able to produce any damage..... hmmm... errr...

lemme put it like this, I would rather have a DDer in my party that does like 80 damage per hit and only misses like 10% of the time rather than someone who can do 130 damage per hit but misses all the time... but for the record STR rings are pretty well beefed up on there own.

Comment

I never touch sniper rings. I stick with my HQ STR ring and I never have any accuracy problem. Also since 48 I've been carrying my lift belt with me when I EXP but my accuracy is never bad enough to have to use it. I mean, I always gain TP at an equal pace with everyone else even if they use both life belt and sniper ring. Especially is I dual 2 axe I gain even faster.

I only eat tentacle sushi ever since I hit 25. Some +1, some NQ. (The HQ sells so slow in AH so I just use it myself - .-)
                            Last edited by Jei; 11-09-2005, 03:31 PM.
                            There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                            but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                            transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Ideally I'd say to have both sets of rings on you. You've got a Haub already, and if you're using Sushi there shouldn't be much problem. BUT sometimes when you move up a camp level you'll have a hard time hitting mobs and the snipers will come in handy.

Basically what I'm trying to say is to start out the fights with +STR, and add accuracy if you need it. And almost always +STR during WS.
                              Sammitch of Midgardsormr
                              WAR 75 :: NIN 37 :: SAM 37 :: THF 37
                              MNK 37 :: DRK 37
                              :: DRG 37 :: BLM 20
                              {Galka}
                              {Power}!

Comment

Working...
                              X