Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Azoth, Blau, Kartika, Athame - What's best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Azoth, Blau, Kartika, Athame - What's best?

Recently dusted off the ole THF and whipped it out again to go chase after a bunch of NM's and do missions. Realized I needed to update his gear and attempt to camp a Sirocco Kukri. So far I'm 0/2 on it, even though drop rate is 34% + TH4 and a Lucky Egg [grumble, grumble] and thought I'd get the opinion from peeps on what THF daggers are best currently.

I use to subscribe to the Blau/Hornet simply because of the speed. Not sure if it was DoT savvy, but I enjoyed the TP gain. Merc Kris would fare better, but I'm not normally into the spending 3mil kinda thing; but may change my mind.....

So, throwing out Mandau because I'm not going to try to get a relic weapon in the next 12 months before FF14, here's the best daggers I can choose out of the game for my THF.

I'm thinking Kartika/Sirocco, but the 2-hit dagger looks super awesome. So, I'm leaning towards Athame/Merc Kris for TP spam. Maybe Kartika/MK would be the best damage. Not sure.

I guess my main goal is to bust out in quick succession enough WS's to kill stuff fast and not so much DoT.

My 2nd goal would be for evasion gear, so Azoth/MK, or Azoth/Athame. Blau Dolch is sorta seeing itself get pushed out for top contender I think.

Any thoughts? Opinions? Comments?

°·-._.-·°¤.-º°`¨·¥|Kageshinhiryu|¥·¨`°º-.¤°·-._.-·°
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT IS MORPHING TIME!"
    sigpic

http://guildwork.com/u/kageshinhiryu

THIS LOOKS AWESOMESAUCE: http://www.deusex.com/

Re: Azoth, Blau, Kartika, Athame - What's best?

I don't know much, but I do know that Merc Kris and Azoth have no place in a Thf's hands. Merc Kris is a terrible DD weapon and there are better eva knives out there (Agi Dakini/Ermine's Tail). I also noticed you're ignoring the X's knife and Fane Baselards, which when geared (or augmented) properly are two of the top tier knives in the game.

Though, from what I hear, Siro knife outparses the Athame slightly, keeping it as one of the best offhanded weapons still. Blau is still the simplest answer for a main when omitting relics/mythics and a suped up Fane. Meaning, more or less the best combo would still be Blau/Siro for DPS. Though again, 'Perfect'Fane and X's Knives are also top tier and depending on build(and augments) can mix and match with the Blau/Siro to be very effective.

Personally however, there's very little chance of me getting my hands on any of those knives (Siro is the only one I could potentially nab) so I've focused myself on getting a SuperFane/Acc Dakini combo. While it won't be top tier, they're still very strong knives considering how 'easy' they are to get.
    "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Best non-relic combo for THF is Athame + X's Knife.

Otherwise it's Mandau + X's still (Athame TP's something like 5% faster than Sirocco according to BG testing because of the increased delay. It's still the best Dagger for a DNC though)
      sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

I use Perseus's Harpe/Azoth for dmg, haven't done the magian ones yet

| 90 SMN | 90 BRD | 90 BLM | 90 THF | 90 WAR |

5/5 BST +2
        2/5 WAR +2
        Farsha(85)

Comment

I don't trust X's Knife because I've yet to see substantial evidence that it works one way or another, and I doubt the bonus crit damage beats the wind damage on Sirocco or the DPS and stat bonuses on Blau.

I can't judge Athame without knowing how much it double attacks. Anyone got any numbers on that?

Harpe/Azoth will always lose to the other top knives, unless of course you still don't have the top knives.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
            I don't trust X's Knife because I've yet to see substantial evidence that it works one way or another, and I doubt the bonus crit damage beats the wind damage on Sirocco or the DPS and stat bonuses on Blau.
            It's a 10% boost to critical damage, which is insanity on Mercy Stroke & Evisceration. OAT weapons are 40%.

Where have you been? I've personally seen Mythe do some sick damage with his Mandau + X's Combo.
            sigpic

Comment

It's a 10% boost to critical damage, which is insanity on Mercy Stroke & Evisceration
              How do people know it's a 10% boost and not a fixed bonus that looks like a 10% boost when your Attack is capped?
              Where have you been? I've personally seen Mythe do some sick damage with his Mandau + X's Combo.
              In all fairness it's a fucking Mandau.

I'm sure X's knife is amazing for epeen WS but since all your hits won't be crit the WS itself won't see a 10% boost. It'll be less. Even if you managed to crit half your hits, which is a big achievement, you'd only see a 5% boost. Blau Dolch has 10% more DPS (which works out to about 5% more total DPS when dual wielding) and the Acc+Attack boost helps both hands, not just Blau's. Blau also has lower Delay for better TP gain, and WS'ing faster is as good as WS'ing harder.

If all Magian weapons have 40% DA rate then Athame is probably the best THF weapon barring relics/mythics.
              Last edited by Armando; 05-20-2010, 09:34 AM.

Comment

BG found it TP's 5% faster than Sirocco but it's still amazing, especially for DNC.

And I thought it was confirmed X's is 10% a long time ago?
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X