THF/DNC ... good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THF/DNC ... good?

I'm tired of being essentially useless/helpless as thf pre-15... and I was thinking that subbing DNC would be a good way to round out the class. I figure I'll lvl it something like this:

THF/MNK (from 1-10)

THF/DNC (from 10-20)

THF/NIN (For all following that)

Subbing /dnc seems like a good way to get some use out of your pre-15 tp (booo... wasp sting...) and maybe pick up a party invite or two!

Thoughts?
    :: Why can't this crazy love be mine? ::

SEVE - HUME WHM (31) BLM (19) THF (17) WAR (9) MNK (5) RNG (9) BLU (1) BRD (1) DNC (1) NIN (1) :: BAHAMUT

Re: THF/DNC ... good?

Sounds like a plan to me. It's more useful than the lollerskates people doing THF10/NIN5.

Icemage

Comment

THF/DNC is awesome solo o.o especially when you can't really relly on Bloody Bolts only to keep you alive, although to make up for the Shadows you'd need EVA, and alot of Higher lvl THFs use the Tatami shield... but thats not until later...

I actually enjoy THF/DNC solo, but partys im pretty much /nin or /war, it really depends if i know im pulling or not. I do like me some Berserk SATAs ^^

As for the OP, sounds like a plan to me, although I did THF/MNK with hand to hand through 10-20.
      62Dancer | 75Corsair | 75Beastmaster | 75Paladin | 75Bard

Your resource for FFXI Farming

Comment

I wouldn't rule out RNG sub either. From 20-29 that accuracy bonus is very nice, particularly for landing those bolts.

Though in the contexts of soloing, you can't go wrong with /WHM (or more recently /SCH) and /BLU.
        sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Most mele at lvl 10 can't hurt stuff worth beans anyway...in fact it seems(from my experence leveling mele jobs) that the normal hits from several different types of weapons are about the same for all jobs in the dunes at lvl10-14...including a THF weilding Daggers and/or 1h swords.

The thing is the darn FFXI pre-concived notion the THF stinks without Sneak Attack. I hate notions like that...because they prevent players from doing a few different things that would actually work!(like finding new uses for existing jobs ^^)
          Shadowneko's FFXI Newbie Guide 2009
          (have fun MMO players ^^)
          Jon Davies AKA: Shadowneko of Midradsomr...soon to be transferred to Quetzalcoatl

Comment

At dunes levels /DNC strikes me as the same sort of situational sub as /BRD, at least for parties. The only thing it gives you is Drain Samba, which is useless if you have a DNC or another /DNC, so you'll need to coordinate with parties on this.

As far as non-situational party subs, I agree that THF/RNG is decent if you can manage it. Wide Scan can help you as a puller, and ranged WS provides you more SC options if your party is inclined to try. Definitely want Sharpshot up for that, though. At these levels, however, /RNG does not offer Accuracy Bonus, so that's not a valid consideration. THF/MNK is a fairly solid choice, though, if the benefits of /RNG don't appeal.

For solo, though, THF/DNC is probably the best option available, aside from maybe THF/BST if your BST level is high enough to take advantage of it.
            Kumei, pickpocket of Midgardsormr(Bastok Rank 10)
            DRK99,DNC91,THF90
            Alchemy 72, Smithing 51, Goldsmithing 48, Leathercraft 23, Fishing 20
            Koren, San d'Orian Adv.(Rank 10)
            WHM95,BLM90,SMN85,RDM82,SCH49
            Woodworking 29,Cooking 20
            All celestials(Trial-Size), Fenrir, Diabolos, Alexander, Odin
            Myrna, Windurstian Merchant
            Clothcraft 24
            Nyamohrreh, Windurstian Adv.(Rank 6)
            BST90,WHM56,DNC45

Comment

I was out as PLD/DNC soloing Wild Karakul (Farming mostly) in Caedarva Mire for Karakul skins and my competition was a THF/DNC with a Tatami shield and Thief Knife, and although he was killing a little slower than I was his the survivability of THF/DNC is amazing, Curing Waltz and Bloody Bolts are the trick, although for more EVA I would have used the Ungur Boomerang, but it was still pretty sick.

As BST i see alot of THF/DNC in The Boyahda tree farming for the lumber and cuttings. So /dnc is an excellent subjob choice for THF Farming, its cheaper and faster due to no downtime since Curing relies on TP.

I cannot wait to give it a shot once I hit 75THF (57 now), although my main subjobs will be /war, /sam(Gods/HNMs), and /nin(Default)
              62Dancer | 75Corsair | 75Beastmaster | 75Paladin | 75Bard

Your resource for FFXI Farming

Comment

I went as THF/DNC in the dunes and I have no complaints. I'm a bit skeptical about those "best" sub jobs at the low levels (not just for Thief) and sometimes use a sub job you wouldn't normally see. Like for example, in the dunes as Bard I went BRD/PUP. A little dangerous considering that the puppet can almost get 1-shotted with a bomb toss so you have to keep it back by the mages and make sure the melee keep hate. But besides that it has its bonuses. Automaton has more MP than I would get from /WHM and also has Auto-refresh, and the occasional Flash.
                Last edited by Silent Howler; 03-24-2008, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Thing is THF can actually use Mercurial Kris (unlike DNC darn you SE!), and in doing so with /DNC makes you nigh-unkillable.
                  sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

People say /pup 'til 20 is the way to go for any non-pet job soloing that far.

I don't have PUP unlocked, so I /dnc. Currently Blu14/Dnc7 and it's terrific (also, I get to whip out the ash club + drain samba to stay alive longer while trying to feed mobs tp to learn spells.

Point is: /dnc is great. It's better for solo than any other [non PUP] subjob (at least pre-24. THF has the evasion to make thf/nin great after that... would be a tough call, still).
                    "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

Working...
                    X