gearing up THF/war

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gearing up THF/war

I'm asked this several times but I haven't really gotten any good answers. I've got a 75 THF that I haven't played in quite awhile but I still have alot of gear for it(didn't ditch anything). I used to sub Ninja but I didn't like how that worked(Dual weild seems slow to me) so I have leveled up warrior for another sub.

Does anyone have any sugestions...keep in mind that THF/WAR needs to be geared abit different than THF/NIN...

I have:

Most of the ACC+ gear
    some dex gera(nedd hairpin and maybe a dragon harness if it's important)
    a Viking Sheild
    Hoplite's Harpe(I think I should replace this with a real Harpe)
    Shadowneko's FFXI Newbie Guide 2009
    (have fun MMO players ^^)
    Jon Davies AKA: Shadowneko of Midradsomr...soon to be transferred to Quetzalcoatl

Re: gearing up THF/war

I love subbing war; but i'm liking it less in merit pts-its too dangerous
    1-74 though definatly the way to go
    I use a ton of acc+ and eat att food, but you can probably get away with a ton of haste+ and eating sushi if you'd rather do that (at least +16 haste)
    I used Harpe/Viking-then changed to HHarpe/Viking to see if it was worth the 700,000 price diff, it was and I changed back
    recently got a blau; havent used it yet though
    i tried tatami for a day-do not do this at the very least not for merits/exp
    /war if you pull hate, you will get beat to shit, and with zerk up, it will be fast
    so I pulled hate and was dying and the rdm goes to cure me; but it turns out said rdm had crimson on and I intimidated him and thus I died and everyone lol'd
    if you are gonna /war; use TA WS's
    How much +acc do you have? I'd use at least +50 to eat att food (50 with 8/8 dagger-otherwise wear more +acc till then)
    im currently at +67; going to be +70 today when I buy my friend's PCC; but this is too much, I'm gonna finally swap some out for some +haste
    Also, try to only /war if you have a nin or pld
    melee tend to run away from TA WS's, and then you will get the hate and die
    if they do this and you ask them not to, and they continue to be dicks with it
    remember you have the wonderful ability to SATAACHide > run up behind them while invisible>engage>WS for 2000+ and tell them to suck a fat one
    ok don't do that but the option is there if you're ever angry enough
    idk how much longer we will be able to /war; gotta see how this Accomplice JA timer is later today

fk yes

Comment

Yeah accomplice looks like somthing else I'll have to macro in somewhere...I'm just afraid it'd get me killed XD
      Shadowneko's FFXI Newbie Guide 2009
      (have fun MMO players ^^)
      Jon Davies AKA: Shadowneko of Midradsomr...soon to be transferred to Quetzalcoatl

Comment

If it has a low timer and we can tank merit parties pretty well, it will be fun. Good for parry skill ups at least XD Maybe we will be able to get some invites for once. However knowing SE, it will be a 15 min timer-even if this is the case, it will still be great for any ohshit! moments that may occur
        If it is low, we need to see how other pt members react to it:
        Sam/War who died from using zerk/hasso 1900 damage WS, and then not cancelling either or at least putting up defender or anything useful to save himself: "OMFG n00b wtf y didnt u accomplish me"
        Thief: "Cooldown had 24 seconds left"
        Sam: "lolthf fucking alwayz lolthf gtfo of my pt gimp [Peace]"
        Meanwhile
        Thief was decked out in 5/5 homam 5/5 Heca, and Sam TPed in Str rings
        FTL

fk yes

Comment

Accomplice is pretty cool, I like it a lot. 5 minutes isn't amazing, but it is nice. I think that this limits us to /nin in merits now, but it's no big deal if you can save a life. I think I'm going to still /war and /drk for things like LS events, but this is useful for back up tanking. Like if the puller pulls a link, Accomplice them and the links will focus on you, and we tank better than brds do.

fk yes

Comment

Personally - I've found with Thf/War, doesn't need to be geared hugely differently from /Nin, just needs to be played slightly differently.

Best results I've had, comes from full haste/acc setup, eating meat, although - I'm often in Brd/Brd or Brd/Cor meripo now. If you can, put haste in the slot, if not haste, accuracy, if not accuracy, then Str/Attack. (Double attack/Triple Attack gear counts as haste - if you have Limbus access, full speed for Homam/Brutal/etc).

Remember:

Haste/Triple Attack/Double Attack > Accuracy > Str/Attack

Focus on making your TA and TAWS damage count, as that's what lets you eat food reliably and pump out more damage. You don't want to be in the firing line.
            When you pull hate, and you will pull hate sooner rather than later, even with a Pld tanking, use Hide if you need to - as it wipes your hate completely from Colibri. I've never been in a situation that I *couldn't* have survived on Thief, Accomplice now makes it easier to save the mages from a bad pull. Don't forget defender also as it will make survival easier. I've lost count of the number of times that I've seen pullers overpull, and cause a wipe - and I've just hidden off the Colibri and sat in the middle of the party alive.

Sorry 711 - but telling someone not to wear a Tatami Shield is not brilliant advice, as Thf, you really did nothing wrong per se. The reason for this - is that the Rdm you were partying with, was either being lazy or generally bad. There's no purpose for W.Legs in meripo, and the other pieces of gear serve no purpose other than for epeen on Colibri. Errant gear - would be a far more efficient and cheaper solution. That's without looking at Kings/Gods/Dynamis etc gear - which if they're at that level, they should know better and have better. Having bad support members isn't a good excuse to forgo good gear. And no - Rdm's shouldn't wear Crimson to a Colibri Camp.
            Last edited by Spinnthrift; 11-28-2007, 01:35 AM. Reason: Formatting!

Comment

Originally posted by Spinnthrift View Post
              Personally - I've found with Thf/War, doesn't need to be geared hugely differently from /Nin, just needs to be played slightly differently.
              Best results I've had, comes from full haste/acc setup, eating meat, although - I'm often in Brd/Brd or Brd/Cor meripo now. If you can, put haste in the slot, if not haste, accuracy, if not accuracy, then Str/Attack. (Double attack/Triple Attack gear counts as haste - if you have Limbus access, full speed for Homam/Brutal/etc).
              Remember:
              Haste/Triple Attack/Double Attack > Accuracy > Str/Attack
              Focus on making your TA and TAWS damage count, as that's what lets you eat food reliably and pump out more damage. You don't want to be in the firing line.
              When you pull hate, and you will pull hate sooner rather than later, even with a Pld tanking, use Hide if you need to - as it wipes your hate completely from Colibri. I've never been in a situation that I *couldn't* have survived on Thief, Accomplice now makes it easier to save the mages from a bad pull. Don't forget defender also as it will make survival easier. I've lost count of the number of times that I've seen pullers overpull, and cause a wipe - and I've just hidden off the Colibri and sat in the middle of the party alive.
              Sorry 711 - but telling someone not to wear a Tatami Shield is not brilliant advice, as Thf, you really did nothing wrong per se. The reason for this - is that the Rdm you were partying with, was either being lazy or generally bad. There's no purpose for W.Legs in meripo, and the other pieces of gear serve no purpose other than for epeen on Colibri. Errant gear - would be a far more efficient and cheaper solution. That's without looking at Kings/Gods/Dynamis etc gear - which if they're at that level, they should know better and have better. Having bad support members isn't a good excuse to forgo good gear. And no - Rdm's shouldn't wear Crimson to a Colibri Camp.
              Yeah I know it wasn't my fault they had that on. Tatami is an awesome piece, which is why almost everyone picks one up at some point in their thf career. I was just pointing out it can be dangerous. Idk anything about rdm gear, so if you say errants and stuff is better (at least for meripos) I'll just follow what you say on that lol Not sure if it would be worth fighting with someone over it though. (Not you, I mean a party member with it.)
              Thf: Please don't use crimson, I don't want to intimidate you.
              Rdm: Stfu why don't I just say please don't use tatami.

orz
              but yeah I wasn't hating on it, it's a wonderful shield.

fk yes

Comment

Working...
              X