Tips for upcoming THF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tips for upcoming THF

There's no point in separating SA and WS. SAWS + a normal hit will do slightly more damage than WS + SA hit. SAWS is also more efficient in skillchains, obviously. The problem with Wasp Sting is that it's literally a normal hit with poison. Not even a measily 10% stat modifier in there to increase its base damage (Fast Blade, on the other hand, uses 20% DEX and 20% STR.) Any WS does more than Wasp Sting.

Acid Bolts are terribly important. -12.5% Defense means everyone's Attack/Defense ratio goes up by 14.2%. And that's really strong. Stronger than Dia II. Hell, that's half an Armor Break. That's so worth going out of your way for.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
      There's no point in separating SA and WS. SAWS + a normal hit will do slightly more damage than WS + SA hit.
      That is not the correct way of looking at. Keep in mind that a THF gets huge damage bonus from successful SA + melee hit. SA isn't just for WS.

When a THF doesn't have 100% TP, he can preload SA before the monster gets to camp, get in a nice big hit, TP to 100% shortly, then unload another SA just 10-15 seconds after the first one if timed correctly. (Would have to tank for a while after that, but Utusemi and Evasion Bonus is good for that.)

This way, a THF can consistently get in 2-3 (or 4 in bad parties) SA attacks per battle, a huge increase in output even without WS on each. Waiting on TP to use SA can be a waste. Not pre-charging SA when you can is nearly a crime; SA comes around once a minute--a THF should make use of it as close to once a minute as possible.

Originally posted by Armando View Post
      Acid Bolts are terribly important. -12.5% Defense means everyone's Attack/Defense ratio goes up by 14.2%. And that's really strong. Stronger than Dia II. Hell, that's half an Armor Break. That's so worth going out of your way for.
      Er, it's still situational, and I don't think when the monster is low on HP is one of those situations.

If an SA attack will finish off the critter, do that instead. If BLM has the MP, make him nuke away the last 15% of the monster's HP. What's the point of spike damage jobs if they don't finish the last portion of the fight quickly?
      Last edited by ItazuraNhomango; 08-10-2007, 05:04 AM.
      Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
      yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
      Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
      leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Quick question about TA - If I want, I can seperate SA and TA right?

Say there is no 1st voke for whatever reason and Tank is 1st voke, I should be able to SA from behind the mob, then run round and TA on the Tank? Is that how it works?

I was thinking of having my macro pallette something like this for SA/TA/WS

1. SAWS
        2. TAWS
        3. SATAWS

Is that right? If I dont have TP ready its a normal hit, but also ensures that if I do have TP, I wont miss it and the WS will go before I swing again.

Comment

Originally posted by hongman View Post
          Quick question about TA - If I want, I can seperate SA and TA right?
          Don't bother before THF60; Viper Bite without SA is less than an Ant Bite.

Say there is no 1st voke for whatever reason and Tank is 1st voke, I should be able to SA from behind the mob, then run round and TA on the Tank? Is that how it works?
          Sad to say, but basically it doesn't work. Before THF60, SA and TA go together. Just leave the party if you can't get someone's back to SA+TA with.

I was thinking of having my macro pallette something like this for SA/TA/WS

1. SAWS
          2. TAWS
          3. SATAWS
          I wish you'd take my advice on this:
          Mcr0: Boost/Berserk/Utsusemi
          Mrc1: Sneak Attack
          Mcr2: Trick Attack
          Mcr3: WS

If you press them manually, you'd never have to worry about lag or /wait being right or wrong; just hold down <ctrl> or <alt> (which ever row those macros are on), and press them in a row.
          Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
          yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
          Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
          leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

I agree, pre 60, if you are inviting a thf, you should have a back up voker anyway - pre 37 2 nins are good anyway, but most parties will have a war or a sam or mnk who can hold hate temporarily while you set up SATA - when you hit 60 and have access to Assassin, that is when it can be separated out.

Originally posted by Aksannyi
            "As a RDM, it should irk you to the depths of your soul when a mob had the audacity to buff itself in front of you."

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post

I wish you'd take my advice on this:
              Mcr0: Boost/Berserk/Utsusemi
              Mrc1: Sneak Attack
              Mcr2: Trick Attack
              Mcr3: WS
              I will do this.

Comment

Itazura: You're right. Should've been clearer. What I meant to say is that if you have to choose between SAWS + a normal hit or WS + SA hit, the first will do more damage every time. Splitting them up just ends up doing less damage. Remember that I was posting in reply to Malacite's comment that doing them separate did more damage for him.
                Er, it's still situational, and I don't think when the monster is low on HP is one of those situations.

If an SA attack will finish off the critter, do that instead. If BLM has the MP, make him nuke away the last 15% of the monster's HP. What's the point of spike damage jobs if they don't finish the last portion of the fight quickly?
                If by "it's situational" you mean "whenever the mob isn't going to die immediately afterwards," then yes. Obviously if you can kill the mob yourself you should, and if SA is up you use that ASAP because it's on a timer, but other than that you should always put a bolt on the mob whenever Defense Down isn't on it. There's nothing to lose. Should your BLM get resisted and take longer than expected to kill the mob, it'll help.

Comment

Might as well get used to SA WS cause if you try to SA then VB you're gonna be shot.

fk yes

Comment

Not quite sure what you mean tbh.

SA WS + SA VB is the same thing, with VB being the WS lol.

See Im confused

Comment

>. > that other THF was totally using the wrong food (you don't use kabobs until the late 40's/early 50's) and stacking SA + Wasp Sting is retarded. I don't think I've *ever* seen a worthwhile increase from it. Best to keep those separate. SA + Fast Blade does work well (despite my own preference of usually not stacking the two early on, not outright) especially when dual-wielding (potentially 3 hits)
                      sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

I meant don't use SA then use a WS seperate

Edit
                        Even though wasp sting/shadow stitch kind of blow (if one insists on using dagger) you can still SA them for a decent renkei if you have a good party that can perform them. D:
                        Last edited by 711rocks; 08-10-2007, 02:51 PM.

fk yes

Comment

Just noticed THF has really high base INT, and AF has INT as well. What is this for? lolElementalWs?
                          There is some speculation that INT is applied to /steal & /mug and lockpicking attempts

Comment

Working...
                          X