Which is more fun/rewarding thief or bard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is more fun/rewarding thief or bard

I know this is the thief forum but was wondering if any of the thiefs here play a bard and how they like it compared to their thief? I am undecided as which route to take. Please help...

Re: Which is more fun/rewarding thief or bard

Noone can answer your question for you, as each person gets different kicks from doing each job. What one person enjoys about THF may not appeal to you, etc.

Best way is to play them. After all, you can switch jobs without penalty so give both a bash.

Comment

Lol I was thinking of leveling brd next just to be a merit whore.

fk yes

Comment

It depends on the type of challenge you're looking for. Both of these are jobs that can be incredibly useful or pretty lackluster depending on how cooperative the party is. For Thief, you'll be needing to organize the front-line. From 15-30, you only have to worry about staying behind the mob; if certain melees are pulling hate, they need to stand behind the tank. From 30-60, you'll be doing SATA, and that means getting someone to stand opposite the tank and take hate when your JA timers are up, or at least at the beginning of battle. If you've got a good tank and a melee who can shed hate, you have other options, but when you get an uncooperative party, you may find yourself abandoning Trick Attack and taking Sneak Attack when you can, and your damage output won't look like much.

Bard is probably more appreciated outright, but requires cooperation in positioning, as your back-line and front-line groups will want different buffs, and in the case of a PLD tank the tank will want different buffs as well. Getting the party into the right formation will be critical to playing this job effectively.

As many parties seem to work on little communication and less thought these days (the phrase "soloing in a group" comes to mind) getting the amount of cooperation necessary out of your party to do either job well may be a daunting task. Thief is probably less work in this regard, but the advantages it brings to the table are also a bit less obvious to many parties than Bard.
        Kumei, pickpocket of Midgardsormr(Bastok Rank 10)
        DRK99,DNC91,THF90
        Alchemy 72, Smithing 51, Goldsmithing 48, Leathercraft 23, Fishing 20
        Koren, San d'Orian Adv.(Rank 10)
        WHM95,BLM90,SMN85,RDM82,SCH49
        Woodworking 29,Cooking 20
        All celestials(Trial-Size), Fenrir, Diabolos, Alexander, Odin
        Myrna, Windurstian Merchant
        Clothcraft 24
        Nyamohrreh, Windurstian Adv.(Rank 6)
        BST90,WHM56,DNC45

Comment

My biased opinion, Thief>All. As a THF you will be a Hate-managing DD. As a Bard you will be in a Buff/Support Role, maybe pulling in later levels. They are pretty different jobs, not really much to compare. One big deal is how fast you want to get to 75, because BRD will get you there faster.
          FFXIV Balmung Server
          Tenro Matashi
          PLD|GLD - MIN|BOT - ALC|ARM|BSM|CRP|GSM|LTW|WVR

Comment

It also depends on what kind of rewards you are looking for.....

Thief will get you more gil and better drops off of mobs. Thief is a farming god.

Bard will get you to 75 faster. Bard is a party whore.

But if you want to find out what one would be best try them both out. I have played every job and would rather cancel my account then play bard right now. I can't stand the job. I helped a friend of mine lvl her bard on her PS2 and was about ready to quite the game then that is why my bard is still lvl 1 and all my other jobs are 7+.

Created by Eohmer
            IT'S NOT THE SIZE OF THE BST IN THE FIGHT, BUT THE SIZE OF THE FIGHT IN THE BST!

Comment

THF is fun, just gotta learn to make pts if you want it to be pretty rewarding anyways merit-wise
              Windurst Rank: 10
              Zilart Mission: 17 (Suppanomimi: O)
              Promathia Mission: CoP complete (Rajas Ring: O)
              ToAU Mission: 18

Retired

Comment

You may be ok if you have a ls that merits all day long too.

fk yes

Comment

* Thief - Don't bother, you can't even rob other players. All you can do is steal small pebbles from gimp lizards.

*Bard – The best class in the game. Nobody wants to be one, but everyone wants one. All you do is play music to make everyone's power level over 9000.

Actually I'd imagine THF would be more rewarding in terms of leveling up since you might enjoy exping with the job. BRD it'd be rewarding because you get invited to burns and merit parties with a flip of a switch, in this case putting up your lfp flag. Those are just my personal opinions. Although for some reason when I was lvling brd from 1-10 i found it akwardly satisfying playing songs every couple minutes.

? AkA: KenKen ^_~

Comment

Thread
                    resurrection...

ftw!!!

Comment

Necroposting! Bad!
                      FFXIV Balmung Server
                      Tenro Matashi
                      PLD|GLD - MIN|BOT - ALC|ARM|BSM|CRP|GSM|LTW|WVR