This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bounding Boots + Empress Hairpin

Hello, I'm sorry about making a new topic about this... but I was just wondering...

Are all the hours camping LL and VE worth the drops? I'm thinking of taking THF as my new main...

Sorry if a thread like this has been made already

~Eiden

Re: Bounding Boots + Empress Hairpin

my opinion on those 2 items: they are very nice to have, but they are not necessary. other things are much more important such as using the right food, being able to skillchain, being able to SA and TA, etc.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Skill does generally trump gear, but evasion +10 is great when farming, soloing, ... playing ninja, etc. I camped VE for my pin because I didn't want to support the (presumably) gilsellers who the item has always been associated with. After I had been at it for a while, I realized I probably could have spent the time making money instead and raised for 4M to buy it faster. Then again, I'm a reasonably accomplished crafter. If you can make the money to buy it in a couple weeks, I'd say just do that and save yourself the trouble and frustration of camping the NM.
      lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

To be honest, it's all very relative. With both items you'll get about...24 more damage per SATA. But, they also happen to be the best feet/head pieces of equipment for THF for quite a while. They'll also help most DD jobs, since there isn't much worth putting on the feet/head slots that'll actually increase DD'ing performance in the early levels. In addition to that, the hairpin has +10 Evasion, which is a great thing to have for soloing THF/NINs, or blink tanking NINs and WAR/NINs (early on it actually helps.)

Will it help you tremendously? No. Will you notice the difference? Probably not. Are they nice to have? Yes. Are they a status symbol? Yes. Are they useful? Yes. Once you obtain them, you'll probably get a lot of use out of them in the future. If you're good at camping, or have friends willing to help, it may not take too long to get them. You'll have to decide for yourself wether or not it's worth it, though.
        Last edited by Armando; 05-08-2006, 02:08 PM.

Comment

^^ Thank you all for your fast replies!

I guess I will try and get them... well, maybe for a little longer till I get so annoyed that I have to kill somthing...

I might be able to drag some friends with me, mwahaha!

Thanks again!

~Eiden

Comment

I'm not a big fan of the boots, though they're pretty useful gear at low levels for a variety of jobs. The hairpin is mostly good for levelling ninja. There is, however, something of a lack of good WS headgear for Thf.
            Brodrik
            Drk75/Thf69/Blm65/War37/Sam37/Nin37/Whm37
            PanicMotion

Comment

There's always Voyager Sallet if you don't want to get Empress. XD
              Disclosure, self loathing, this time you've gone too far.
              Or can it be, my nemesis that you're me?

lol nazis

Comment

I think Voyager Sallet is better than Empress except for when you're dodging.
                Brodrik
                PanicMotion

Comment

ya it is better but in terms of practicality of obtaining voyager sallet vs hairpin, hairpin is great for obvious reasons i got my emperor hairpin long ago and pretty much use it for everything melee.
                  Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
                  ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

Yeah. Voyager in EXP, and Empress while soloing/farming/WS/etc. :-D
                    Disclosure, self loathing, this time you've gone too far.
                    Or can it be, my nemesis that you're me?

lol nazis

Comment

where is VE located in Valk dunes? might take thf atw after lvling ninja to 37. be helpful to know lol.

SoulOfLobo
                      [ Greatest Asura LS ]
                      War / Nin [40]

Comment

He pops at from E-8 to F-8. Most people don't think to look in the west part of E-8 because his old spawn area was much smaller and most maps and guides haven't updated.
                        lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Sub Ranger. Stand basically in the middle of the line dividing E2 and F2. If you look at the wide scan list, there should be a group of four Damselflies. If I recall, they're in between a group of Thread Leechees and a group of Snippers. There won't be four if there are people killing them. The top on in this list of four is the one that will eventually be the Valkurm Emperor. Kill it and hit Sharpshot. Sharpshot has a 5-minute timer. These guys have a roughly 5 minute respawn. Go kill the other three. Go back to your waiting point and, when Sharpshot resets, Wide Scan until that first Damselfly repops. If it's the Valkurm Emperor, you wins! If it's not, rinse and repeat.

You'll notice after you kill the VE once that, if you let all the Damselflies respawn, for a while there will only be three. The fourth, the top one, the VE placeholder, takes about 15 minutes to come back once VE has been killed.
                          Brodrik
                          PanicMotion

Comment

Sorry for this lame question, but I quit FFXI a couple years ago and am now considering coming back. So do LL and VE drop rare/ex items only now? And have the spawn times changed for both of these NM? I'd just like to know so I can plan out what I'm gonna do before I come back. Thanks
                            <:3_)~

Comment

They only drop rare/ex items now with the same stats as the normal ones.
                              spawn time is just as random as it has been i think... and the drop rate is still the same too... it's not 100%
                              There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                              but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                              transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Working...
                              X