Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to the game, and I want to play a Thief.....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the game, and I want to play a Thief.....

But at the same time, I'm looking in terms of the long run.

Was planning on Thief/Ninja as my final class combo. But this was my intention for levelling purposes.

I'm starting as a Monk, and taking the Monk to level 18. At that point, I'll do the quest to take up a subjob, in which case I will switch to a Thief, subbing a Monk for the bonus HPs and such.

I'll take the Thief to 30 in which point I'll do the Ninja job quest. Take the Ninja to 37, then switch back to the Thief and level that.

Yeah, that's an ambitious thought, but I wasn't sure if that'd be the best route to go.

Any suggestions? I mean, I'm trying the monk now, level 6, and it just seems like they get jipped out of equipment (I can't get any new armor until level 11? What is that ). Does it get any easier? That, and I'm having trouble locating quests for equipment and stuff (if they even exist).

And then there's ranks and missions and stuff.

Help a noob Please?

Re: New to the game, and I want to play a Thief.....

at some point you need to level WAR. No one in their right might would invite NIN/thf now a days.

i would suggest you start as WAR and get that to 18 first.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Actually, I was thinking Thf/Nin, not Nin/Thf, but you think it'd just be better to level a Warrior first? Okay, I can switch out :x Or i can just start over

Comment

Here:
        I'll take the Thief to 30 in which point I'll do the Ninja job quest. Take the Ninja to 37, then switch back to the Thief and level that.
        if you're doing NIN/war to 37, where did your 18 lvls of WAR magically come from?

btw, look here for generally "good" quest information.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Wow, didn't even think of that Thanks!

Comment

And please please please do not use Dagger until 33. Keeping it lvld up is fine but it does not have any good WS, at least compared to Sword or Hand-to-hand, until 33 (Viper Bite.)

Warrior TP Warrior WS

Comment

You like to have a plan and this is probobly the best one but i dont know if ittl suit your tastes =P

1. level WAR to 18 (gonna need it to lv NIN to 37 and now ittl be leveled)
              2. go THF/WAR to 30 or take your monk to 30 so you dont have to worry about doing THF without/NIN but most people dont care at that point
              3. when you get to 30 get NIN (duh >_>;; )
              4. once you have NIN you can take it to 37 with WAR sub so you can be done with it or just level it when you need it. i suggest just leveling it to like 15 first so you can get to 30 with THF and decide if thats whatyou really wanna be.

and uhh yea thats what id do ^_^

oh yea and if you didnt know one thing all people hate about leveling thf is that for your subjob NIN you need to buy a super uber ninjutsu spell >_< you pretty much wont get parties without having the spell either

to get that just takes some time you gotta get abunch of necklaces from yagudos in windurst long and boring but dont let it get in your way

and about the "no armor til 11 wtf " thing, theres a set of lv 8 stuff you can get, its cool
              Originally posted by Blood Red Poet
              InuTrunks is just mad, because I ate his baby.

Comment

And you really dont have to start pt'ing and go to Dunes till 11 or so, So if that's the only armor you can get its ok. Just exsperiment and have fun.

Medalink

Comment

Well, I switched over to the Warrior, and I have to say I'm just having a lot more success. Rolling through mobs like they're nothing.

I've also figured out the Auction House system :x

I put 2 stacks of 12 Earth Crystals up for 500gil a piece, one sold for 900, one sold for 1000, so I'm sitting on a nice little chunk of change (although I have to drop 2215 for a world pass for my friend).

But still, that's damn nice. Warrior is 7 now, so I can go to the Orc encampment. From what I've noticed, they're the only things that have dropped fire crystals for me.

4k for 12 of those? Yes please! :D

Comment

On WAR what weapon are you using? I suggest and Axe or Great Axe because WAR has a higher skill lvl in them so you will hit more often and have higher attack. Also the WS are quite good and it makes you look like you have some idea what your doing *cough sword WARs cough*

I wouldnt sub NIN before at least 20-24 if you really want to... Id say /NIN really becomes best after 50 for dual wield II because of the delay reduction.

Warrior TP Warrior WS

Comment

Well, I bought a Bronze Sword when I switched over (aesthetic choice) and got a Shield (I have this thing against 2handers where I don't think the damage increase is worth the defense reduction. /shrug).

I could switch to Axe, but, I dunno.....they're icky

Comment

Sadly, you could probably get away with 1h sword if you're only taking it to 18, but you SHOULD lvl either 1h axe or great axe. Its really the "proper" thing to do.
                        Above all, enjoy what you do w/o being a detriment to those around you. Feel free to deviate from you plan and lvl other jobs, or switch back and forth depending on current tastes. Dont feel like you have to lvl ninja to 37 before you do anything else. Lvl it a little bit and feel free to go back to thf if you want. Its easy to get bored doing one thing in this game over and over and over. Thats why theres so much to do, give yourself some variety if you need it.
                        I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

Well, my play time is very limited, so I wanted to get the most out of my character as I can, so I really will not deviate from my path a whole lot.

As for the axe thing, is it really that big of a difference? To be honest, I've been going around slaughtering easy preys and decent challenges with my sword/shield, and I've yet to even hit the cap with my weapon skill for the level. Reason being I want to make money WHILE gaining xp.

Yes, I fight even matches once in awhile (say when I get to 300% TP from tearing the EM's and DC's), and that keeps my weapskill high enough to do what I've been doing.

Once I get to level 11 I was gonna start joining some TPs down in La'Thiene (I think, right?) then I'd worry about maxing my skills and such.

If I'm doing anything wrong, let me know, I could easily switch to an axe if you really think that'd be a lot better.

Oh, and to TokiToki, I planned on taking the Thief to 30 to do the Ninja quest, subbing Warrior for that, then taking Nin/War to 37, so I didn't plan on subbing Ninja till at least level 30 on my thief. Bad idea?

Comment

Really, if you have no intention of lvling it past 18, then you probably wont have any problems other than a few ppl giving you crap here and there for using it. However, WAR was the first job I lvld and knowing nothing about it, and the game giving you a 1h sword, I used it for the first ten lvls and then had to go back a month later to lvl 2h weapons so I could get it back up to usable sub.
                            Also, at 11 you'll be partying most likely in Valkurm Dunes rather than the la theine. And making money while you xp will also become increasingly difficult due to foods (I urge you to use these as soon as you can afford it) and more expensive armors. Crystals drops split 6 ways just get to be too little as you get into more expensive equipment. Good luck to you though, I'm sure you'll do well.
                            I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

My only other question was do monsters drop crystals if they're not a challenge? Do they drop anything?

Comment

Working...
                              X