Summoner & Wings of the Goddess Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Summoner & Wings of the Goddess Discussion

Not the celestials anyway. They're immortal, the terrestrials are not (they're simply god-like beasts who can still die)
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Who cares? It's a great excuse to update their looks. =b
      Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
      yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
      Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
      leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

There are 5 terrestrial avatars, right? 3 we already have, one they've stated will never be summonable, and one is essentially ruled out for spoilerous reasons. I'll just take it as a given for the sake of arguement that Odin or Alexander will not be summonable. But I believe SE has stated that there will be new summons. Do you think maybe that means another class of summonable in addition to spirits and avatars? Something in between perhaps like incarna?
        lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

incarna? Explain what that means please?
          Adventures of Akashimo Hakubi & Nekoai Nanashi

Comment

Uhh, hmm. I thought I could just link a wikipedia article or something but it seems that term isn't in common use ...

What I was thinking of was something between a mindless spirit and a god, but a sentient representative of an element closer to our level of existence, like a faerie or the elementals from the Seiken series. Undine for water, Sylph for wind, etc.

Comment

you mean like the spirits in the Mana series?

EDIT: D'oh, you just said that, you just used the Japanese name of the series <.<
              Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 08-31-2007, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Re: Summoner &amp; Wings of the Goddess Discussion

Sounds like 'em.

(Lol "Efreet." )
                Originally posted by Armando
                No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                Originally posted by Taskmage
                GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                Matthew 16:15

Comment

Was it efreet in japanese? In english it was Salmando, and I never finished Seiken 3.

Comment

Ooh, my bad, I was thinking of the Tales series. But aren't both series made by the same company, unless I'm mistaken?

What further confused me to belive it was the Tales series was the use of "Undine" and "Sylph." Both spirits are available in both games, and as the spirits of Water and Wind (respectively), at that!

But, Efreet was the Fire Spirit in Tales, and, I can't help but laugh how much it sounds like Final Fantasy's Ifrit.
                    No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                    Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                    GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                    However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                    Matthew 16:15

Comment

SD3 was the best one ^^ (I've beaten both. 3 had 3 endings though, depending on which main character you chose since each ending was shared by 2 people)

But, Efreet was the Fire Spirit in Tales, and, I can't help but laugh how much it sounds like Final Fantasy's Ifrit.

Where do you think Ifrit came from? >_ > (Not tales but I mean the actual Efreet myth. Like everything in the series, it's a twist on existing mythology/other references)
                      sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

No, they're not made by the same company, but they're based on the same mythology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ondine_...org/wiki/Sylph
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ifrit
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnome

Comment

maybe pheonix will become a summonable avatar? i know that her essence was merged in CoP but with the new "travel back to the past" prehaps you can face her at full form. also the "wings" of the "goddess"? to me it sounds like they are talking about pheonix, but what do i know ^^
                          Emeraldpearl

75 Summoner
                          37 White Mage

75 Red Mage
                          37 White Mage

Currently Leveling: WHM

Comment

Originally posted by emeraldpearl View Post
                            where the hell did that come from?? O.o prehaps reading the thread will make you reconsider your next post.... -.-
                            The question came from a 1up interview with the S-E staff members, apparently no new faces / hairstyles / races have been added for players to use because the PS2 just cant handle them. FFXI is unfortunately being held back by its initial PS2 release, so if new avatars etc are added, then its a perfectly valid question as to whether the PS2 will be able to 'handle' them.

I cant locate the interview at the minute as Im at work unfortunately.

Ontopic Im levelling SMN pretty hardcore right now, Im all for new avatars - perhaps different forms of the same avatars back in time? Dunno, Im looking forward to it tho.

Which FF Character Are You?

Comment

Originally posted by emeraldpearl View Post
                              also the "wings" of the "goddess"? to me it sounds like they are talking about pheonix, but what do i know ^^
                              The NA name of the expansion is actually officially stated to be a metaphorical reference to the Crystal War army, aka the Alliance of Altana. The JP name is Divine Soldiers of Altana; presumably they couldn't use that name here because here it would get the Christians up in arms against our MMO for promoting a "pagan god" and probably offend several other people along the way.

That being said, I have to agree that going back in time would neatly sidestep the problems with Phoenix as a summon. -- Pteryx
                              Last edited by Pteryx; 09-04-2007, 08:53 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Working...
                              X