This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LV.20 Trial-Size Avatar Fights [Guide]

I'll be on in exactly 4 hours (that gives me 2 to end work, and 2 to dodge wife to get upstairs and log on). You can borrow the gear as much as you want. Or give me your login/id and i'll kill em for ya , and fraps the whole thing. lol!
    sigpic

Comment

My stratagy is similar to Nakti's.

I don't have a name for it..so..I'll call it

The Long Method of Killing an Avatar

This is the long way of killing the avatars, if you want to beat the best time, this is not the strategy for you.

I prefer this one over the 3 SL method, mostly because if one of your SL's get resisted, you will have an extra SL to use (will explain later on)

In a nutshell, basically you attack about a quarter health away from the avatar, then use SL to kill it.

What you need
      :

4 Yagudo Drinks
      2 Ethers
      Hermit wands..etc etc defense stuff.
      Boiled Crab

The battle!

Start of course by buffing yourself with protect, aquaveil an barspells. Use your first Yagudo Drink and Boiled Crab. Run up to the point you can see the avatar you're fighting, and summon Carbuncle.

Summoning Carby will most likely aggro the avatar. Do NOT use the assault command because Carby will automaticly attack, using the assault command will put hate on you.

Run back to the starting point, and wait til Carby dies, resummon, Carby again will automatically attack the avatar coming at you. Now run back to where the avatar's spot in the begining and resummon when Carby dies.

Basically..repeat these steps , throw in a poison nails if you really want, (but do this before you are on you're last Yag drink!!)

Repeat these steps until you use your last yagudo drink.

Once you use your last drink, this is where you begin to use Searing Light.

When you summon, Carby will go attack the avatar. Use Astral Flow then Searing Light..then RUN AWAY!!! The avatar may use their 2 hour, unless they have used it sometime during Carby physically attacking the avatar.

Pop an ether, then summon Carby again, wait til your BP timer is up, then use SL again. The avatar SHOULD be dead, if not, that's ok!! If you missed a SL for some reason too..that's also ok, cause remember, you can use 3 SL's during your duration of having Astral Flow on. So if you need to, use you're next SL on the avatar, then they should be dead!!

Congrats!!!

Summary:

1. Buff up with spells & items.

2. Run to the bend, where you can see the avatar, use Yagudo drink, summon Carbuncle.

3. Have Carbuncle attack (remember, if the avatar aggros, do not use the /assualt command, Carbuncle will fight automatically) then run back to the starting point.

4. Wait until Carbuncle is dead, then resummon quickly.

5. Run back to where the Avatar originally is (where it pops up in the cutscene) and wait till Carby dies, resummon.

6. Repeat going back and forth from the starting crystal to the Avatar's den area until you are on your LAST yagudo drink.

7. Once you popped the last one, use Astral Flow then use SL on the avatar, run away! Be careful of 2 hour!!

8. When carby is dead, resummon, use an ether, then use SL again to kill the avatar.

9. If the avatar is not dead, or if SL failed, remember that you have your last SL to use, so do that and the avatar will die.

Here is a video to watch, if you are a visual learner. THIS IS NOT MY VIDEO I TAKE NO CREDIT FOR THIS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYlqabuBTTM

The only difference is that he bought 4 hi pots, which I failed to mention, and that he bought 3 yag drinks, either way, you use the SL's when you are on your last yagudo drink.

Comment

Canitoch, i really don't want to sound like an ass...but your post was pointless and is just taking up space. You stated exactly what was said above. The only difference is that you go through 2-3 carbuncle's before you actually start doing your Searing Light routine. You could have summed it up with "I do it the long way and chuck carbies at the avatar a few times until i use my last Yag Drink, and then i start my SL routine". Just came back from vacation to find my post even more cluttered. But then agian, maybe i'm just overstressed and crazy...i was forced to play WoW instead of FFXI for two weeks ; ;
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shinoe View Post
          Canitoch, i really don't want to sound like an ass...but your post was pointless and is just taking up space. You stated exactly what was said above. The only difference is that you go through 2-3 carbuncle's before you actually start doing your Searing Light routine. You could have summed it up with "I do it the long way and chuck carbies at the avatar a few times until i use my last Yag Drink, and then i start my SL routine". Just came back from vacation to find my post even more cluttered. But then agian, maybe i'm just overstressed and crazy...i was forced to play WoW instead of FFXI for two weeks ; ;
          I didn't think Canitoch's post was pointless. I think it's good that he was specific and not overly general.

When I was preparing for the solo avatar fights, I read every strategy and post I could find on it. Even when people had the "same" strategy it was still helpful to note the different details. Sometimes just different wording helped me understand the tactic better.

Ultimately, of course, there's no better way to understand a strategy than to try it. And some strategies may work better for certain races or for those with access to special items (like Carbuncle Mitts). But it certainly doesn't hurt to get other people's perspectives on these difficult battles.
          They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Thank you for the mini-guide.

The only thing I got from it was that "it's a poor man's guilde," which is good, because if some people don't have the funds to invest in lots of pots, def gear, and good def food, then they can use this guide.

However, there have been lots of LV20 Avatar guides on ffxionline and your strategy for bringing down the avatar's HP first by using Carbuncle to engage in melee has been mentioned before, so it is not new information.

Getting the prime avatar down to 50% then shooting it 3 times w/AF is a guaranteed win that does take longer than shooting him 3 times off the spot. You can get lucky with a 1 minute clear time if you don't have your blasts resisted, but on average the luck w/that can depend. So, if you want to kill prime avatars the safe way, the method you mention is preferrable.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinhiryu_Kage View Post
              You can get lucky with a 1 minute clear time if you don't have your blasts resisted, but on average the luck w/that can depend.
              This is obviously a lie, as your Searing Light cooldown is on a 1 minute timer, and Carbuncle can not dish out enough damage in that 1 minute to compensate for the amount you would get on SL, which in most case (i think, but am not certain) is capped at 210 damage at level 20. Notice though that the name is "XXX Prime" in the level 20 avatar fights...

So if you're talking about the level 20 fights (which is what this entire thread is about), then my above assumption that you are lying is true. However if you mean the actual Prime fights later on, then i can see how you have a point...but 1 minute is still pushing it, even at 75. If you WERE talking about doing Primes at 75, and getting a 1 minute clear time, how much is your SL doing, and how much DPS is Carbuncle putting out? I'm curious, as that 1 minute clearing time sounds pretty incredible.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shinoe View Post
                Nevermind..I don't feel like waisting my time with you, and making this thread into a flame. Have fun though, try not to act like a jerk when people are here helping, that is all.

Comment

Thankyou to the two main posters at the beginning, both were really helpful.

The only one I lost was Garuda but that was because I went in on Winds day, with just protect one and missing some meds. It seemed like a good idea at the time, I wanted to see if I was being over safe.

Don't worry too much about resists, Titan resisted 2 of my searing lights and something weird happened with the 3rd one and he didn't take any damage and still managed to win it by spamming banish, using the odd hi potion or mulsum and having carbuncle melee and Poison Nails for a few minutes at the end.

I went more with Nakti's style, the Tavnazian Taco, Pamama's Au Lait, Yagudo drink and Mulsum set up worked really well. On the easier fights I didn't use any of the Mulsums, for one fight I didn't even need a Hi Potion. The mulsum I hadn't used but the fast casting time on it was a life saver.

Gear wise, get all the hp+ / mp -> hp pieces and all spell interruption rate down pieces recommended that you can afford, they help so much. I had 308 hp going in (before food) and none of the Avatars attacks did enough damage for them to be a serious problem.

Just as a warning, I would say that Ramuh seemed harder than the others, he tore through Carbuncle very quickly and 'seemed' to interrupt me a lot more than the other avatars did. Its a good idea to make sure you have plenty of Hi Potions for this fight. I think I used 8.

Final thing, you can go in /nin for dual weilding Hermit's Wands but Banish finished off a few too many Avatars, even though I let carbuncle melee them down 10-15% first, for me to recommend it.
                  sigpic
                  Signature courtesy of Selphiie the Enchantress

Comment

Working...
                  X