SMN Maat Fight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMN Maat Fight

Sorry guys. I'm sure this is already posted, but the search function is broken (on my computer anyways "no input file specified" whenever I search).

I just fought Maat for the 3rd time, and I've followed all the advice I've heard/seen (videos) / read.

[ Fight 1 ]
    Followed the tutorial I saw that people said they trusted. Light spirit for proIV and shellIV, stoneskin, blink, go in.. Yagudo Drink, Astralflow.. run back etherx2, astral flow again and win. Only problem, Light Spirit went through all 900 of my MP and ONLY gave me shell IV. Ok, I can work with this. So I got MP, did garuda and titan and went in for the kill. First Astral flow took 50% of Maat's life, ran back, popped two ethers and then time ran out.... ; ;
    [ Fight 2 ]
    I was overconfident because *everyone* said SMN was easy. I was convinced that it was Light Spirits fault and win two would be easy prey. I followed same strategy above (sans Light Spirit) and went in with Titan. Once again, titan did 50%+ from Maat and took out his avatar. I ran back and popped the Ethers. So far so good, Easy prey. Saw my Blood pact timer was ready... Titan was still alive (@50% too!) Ran up to pop the final astral for my win and BAM. I ate an Aerial Blast to the face and died. Game over.
    [ Fight 3 ]
    Ok. So time 2 I was just overconfident, right? So this time I know the drill. Let Titan eat the astral flow and then summon Fenrir for the kill with full health and Maat has no astral ready. Only this time, my first Astral Flow did *LESS THAN 30%* damage to Maat. Ok... run back.. 2 ethers... wait for titan to die... Cast fenrir... target Maat... Astral Flow and BAM I eat another Aerial Blast to face (back by the burning circle where I was recasting). My 2nd Astral Started but never went off.

Now I'm out of gil, REAL sick of getting my tonberry hate up by farming these testimony's, and real pissed off. An entire week has gone by, I've done my homework, and the old **** just won't die.

There just has to be something I'm missing. EVERYONE says this fight is so easy. I'm almost embarassed to make this post. Did EVERYONE beat him with ease?

Where am I going wrong?

(note: I've seen all the videos, English and Japanse. I've done all the google searches. I beat all of the original avatars in the lvl20 solo battles AND I beat them all in the primes. I have Fenrir and Diabolos and SMN is my main job, so I strive to be good at it. Help me!)

Re: SMN Maat Fight

Is your summoning magic at or near cap? I don't know how reasonable that is to ask, but one of the known effects of summoning magic skill is to decrease the time between an elemental's spells. Maybe if your skill were higher you could get that Shell IV faster and possibly take Maat's astral flow without dying, while still having enough time to finish the fight.
    lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

I never read a guide to this, I just went in, used EW and AA, and rested to full. Summoned Fenrir, went in and used my 2 hour. I ran back, didn't pay much attention to my bloodpact timer. When Fenrir was killed, I summoned him again and used his 2 hour bloodpact as soon as I could. Won.

My best guess is bad luck. You're 3rd run looks perfectly fine, you just happened to get hit by Maat's 2 hour.
      I crush up my pills and snort them like dust. They are my sugar. They are the sweetness in the days that have none. They drip through me like tupelo honey. Then they are gone. Then I need more. I always need more.

Sig thanks to Aksannyi of Dreams In Vana'diel

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
        Is your summoning magic at or near cap? I don't know how reasonable that is to ask, but one of the known effects of summoning magic skill is to decrease the time between an elemental's spells. Maybe if your skill were higher you could get that Shell IV faster and possibly take Maat's astral flow without dying, while still having enough time to finish the fight.
        With equipment I'm at 207. Cap for lvl70 is 241. So I'm closer than most SMN I know...

Originally posted by Xylaa View Post
        I never read a guide to this, I just went in, used EW and AA, and rested to full. Summoned Fenrir, went in and used my 2 hour. I ran back, didn't pay much attention to my bloodpact timer. When Fenrir was killed, I summoned him again and used his 2 hour bloodpact as soon as I could. Won.
        My best guess is bad luck. You're 3rd run looks perfectly fine, you just happened to get hit by Maat's 2 hour.
        That's all I'm thinking too. It has to just be bad luck. I'm being totally careful and doing everything that way that seems right....

Hopefully things go better for me today.

Comment

I've never done the SMN Maat fight. Lucky me, I was a 70 RDM when the level cap was increased to 75 and got to suffer through the nearly unbeatable version of RDM Maat until they adjusted him a couple of months later. But it seems to me like you're doing everything right.

The only other thing I can ask is... What kind of equipment are you using? I notice Maat is using Garuda every time you fight him, I don't know if that's because you're using Titan or if it's something he always does or what but... Have you taken a look at your wind resistance? +MP gear is not terribly important when you're using astral flow and going from full to zero anyway. I'd suggest trying to up your wind resist and MAYBE you can squeak through an Aerial Blast. Maybe. Like I said, I never fought Maat as a SMN, so I'm just speculating.
          召75|吟75|黒75|赤75|戦72|白60|獣40|忍37| 暗37|シ37|ナ32|侍30|モ30|竜21|青14||か8| 狩7|コ7
          San D'oria: Rank 10 | Windurst: Rank 10 | Bastok: Rank 10 | Cooking: 97 | Zilart - Completed | CoP - Completed

Comment

Fight 4 - Everything went well until my 2nd Astral Flow, I didn't notice that Fenrir attacked the avatar and not Maat. Dumb Mistake.

Fight 5 - Same exact strategy as above fights, but luck was on my side. Ran back, popped two ethers waited for Maat to kill Titan. Summoned Titan again (he was using Ramuh) and got my 2nd flow off FTW.

If anyone says SMN is easy, it is. But don't forget that there is quite an element of luck needed going into this battle....

Comment

Congratulations!
              lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Originally posted by framerate View Post
                If anyone says SMN is easy, it is. But don't forget that there is quite an element of luck needed going into this battle....
                The same applies to Maat for *all* jobs. Unfortunately they made the fight a lot more luck-based than skill-based, and even amazing players can lose or terrible players can win, depending upon how soon Maat decides to use Asuran Fists or various other JAs, spells, etc for that job.

Congrats on your win, and don't feel too bad about your losses. Most people are well aware that the fight is at least 50% luck, and those that don't know it are people who were lucky their first try and refuse to listen to others to find out the truth.
                召75|吟75|黒75|赤75|戦72|白60|獣40|忍37| 暗37|シ37|ナ32|侍30|モ30|竜21|青14||か8| 狩7|コ7
                San D'oria: Rank 10 | Windurst: Rank 10 | Bastok: Rank 10 | Cooking: 97 | Zilart - Completed | CoP - Completed

Comment

Originally posted by SharMarali View Post
                  The same applies to Maat for *all* jobs. Unfortunately they made the fight a lot more luck-based than skill-based, and even amazing players can lose or terrible players can win, depending upon how soon Maat decides to use Asuran Fists or various other JAs, spells, etc for that job.
                  Congrats on your win, and don't feel too bad about your losses. Most people are well aware that the fight is at least 50% luck, and those that don't know it are people who were lucky their first try and refuse to listen to others to find out the truth.
                  I really thought people were gonna bash me... a lot of SMN's on my server were like "OMG LOL WTF? YOU DIDN'T WIN EASY? 1/1 1/1 1/1". Drove me nuts.... I know I'm a good player. I just had bad luck.

But it's all behind me now All that's next to stress over is my YY robe... >.>

Comment

Congrats on beating Maat!!

Wish you the best of luck with YY robe, the NM isn't hard, it's usually claiming it that's hard. For me, however, it was getting help. LOL I was there when he spawned twice, with no help and no one else in the zone. Hope you get it.
                    I crush up my pills and snort them like dust. They are my sugar. They are the sweetness in the days that have none. They drip through me like tupelo honey. Then they are gone. Then I need more. I always need more.

Sig thanks to Aksannyi of Dreams In Vana'diel

Comment

Working...
                    X