Fenrir Party does not need all SMNs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fenrir Party does not need all SMNs.

I know a lot of people know this alraedy, but I always see shouts for full SMN pts for Fenrir.

You don't need these. Matter of fact, IMO, a standard PT that can stun his 2hr is much easier. He'll only try to 2hr once. If you stun it, he won't try again. Though not necessary, to make this even easier, have a RDM/DRK come along, then when he is at about 55%, everyone go all out WHILE the RDM is chainspell stunning (to make sure he in fact tries to use it before chainspell is over).

I'm 2 for 2 w/ this method.
    Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Windurst-Tarutaru-Ragnarok

Windurst: ★Rank 10★ | San d'Oria: ★Rank 10★ | Bastok: ★Rank 10★
    Zilart: ★The Last Verse★ | Promathia: ★The Last Verse★
    Aht Urhgan: ★Eternal Mercenary★| Assault: ★Captain★
    Goddess: Fate In Haze | Campaign: Moonlight Medal
    Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Re: Fenrir Party does not need all SMNs.

I think you may be confused about the strategy. You don't need all SMNs, that's true, 4 SMNs 70+ is plenty for this, giving two leechers a shot at the avatar. The strategy however is not to stun the 2hr, it's to get him to use it on some nice *expendable* avatars rather than players. Also, we generally like not having to heal someone up during this fight. Actually, if you have one of your leechers in range to watch, they can signal a simultaneous /pet "Release" just as he 2hrs, which has the same effect as stunning him on it. Provided everyone is far enough back at this point, you have room to resummon and continue from there.

*However*

The reason we're doing it all SMN isn't because we haven't heard of a normal party for this one, or because we doubt your skill here. It's because Fenrir is the end all melee avatar for us, and by doing it with SMN, we prove that we're worth more than the craptastic backup-heal job you all seem to regulate us to in a party. It's a pride thing for SMNs, and if you didn't at least marginally understand how pride works, I suspect you wouldn't have posted this thread in the first place.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Comment

Actually if you talk to half of the people shouting, they think it is winnable only w/ all SMNs. I posted this so at least some of those people know so they don't have to spend all day to pull a bunch of SMNs together, since a lot of them just want Fenrir for when they START Summoner, or want one of his items for another job.
      Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Windurst-Tarutaru-Ragnarok

Windurst: ★Rank 10★ | San d'Oria: ★Rank 10★ | Bastok: ★Rank 10★
      Zilart: ★The Last Verse★ | Promathia: ★The Last Verse★
      Aht Urhgan: ★Eternal Mercenary★| Assault: ★Captain★
      Goddess: Fate In Haze | Campaign: Moonlight Medal
      Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Comment

Very nice. I have a level 5 SMN and a 66 BLM, with 2 prime Wispers(have not traded for avatars yet). I wanted to get Diablos and Fenrir before I took SMN through d00nz, and then do the mini-avatars for a sence of accomplishment. As my main sub is RDM I should be able to do this at 70, when I get Fast Cast II and can try and stun it.

Kitalrez, you mistook the point of the post. I understand where your comming from, and I remember the pride I had when my manaburn at 61 took down Ose. Thats not the issue here, the issue is people other than 75 Summoners want it fight Fenrir, weater for the avatar or not.
        Originally posted by Ellipses
        Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
        Originally posted by MCLV
        A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
        More Sig:

Comment

I acquired Fenrir without any Summoners at all. It's tricky for sure, but not impossible (particularly not now when people at 75 can merit like crazy and get lots of new abilities to throw in the mix).

People who think you can only win with Summoners have no idea what they're talking about.

Icemage

Comment

Originally posted by Onionsoilder View Post
            Kitalrez, you mistook the point of the post. I understand where your comming from, and I remember the pride I had when my manaburn at 61 took down Ose. Thats not the issue here, the issue is people other than 75 Summoners want it fight Fenrir, weater for the avatar or not.
            Ok, I guess I must've misread the post here. I took it to mean he was trying to say that it's easier and faster to go without multiple SMNs or somehow better. My response was meant to disagree with that. I prefer the SMN method because I can get the avatar for 1-2 hangers-on who might otherwise not get it prior to 75, and it's a major ego boost after I'm stuck main healing for a few hours.

Rereading this, his original point is correct, IMO. One does not need all SMN to do Fenrir, and my LS does regular parties for Fenrir occasionally. I don't think this is necessarily better than going multiple SMN, just different and entirely possible. If you've got players who can do HNMs or Dynamis, Fenrir's not that much different.

"It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong. But it takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man." - Jack Handy.
            Last edited by Kitalrez; 09-04-2006, 02:01 PM. Reason: This needs a Jack Handy Quotation at the bottom.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Comment

MNK/NIN (Hutch)
              DRG/WAR (Jokerman)
              DRK/THF (Shadowdragon)
              RDM/DRK (Irige)
              BLM/WHM (Trigun)
              WHM/SMN (me)

If memory serves me right, this is the setup I was involved in when I got my Fenrir. Personally, if I went in with 5 SMNs to babysit me, I wouldn't have felt that I earned it. The fight was a hard-fought one, and we definitely earned our victory; now that's something to be proud of. Much props to Hutch, our MNK tank.
              FFXIclopedia page

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
                I acquired Fenrir without any Summoners at all. It's tricky for sure, but not impossible (particularly not now when people at 75 can merit like crazy and get lots of new abilities to throw in the mix).
                People who think you can only win with Summoners have no idea what they're talking about.
                Icemage
                agreed, I won with 3x SMN 2x Bst and a leech
                another with drg,rng, 2x smn, blm, Bst.. OWNED HIS BUTT!!!
                When I won My group was 6x SMN who didnt have the dog yet, and wanted to take it down.
                You can also win with 3x smn and a blm to stun ,dot it.
                It's Official Promathia Hates me....
                それは公式である,プロマシア は私を憎む。
                Trielは博雅なる大召喚士
                A Summoners Journey (The Live Journal) >>>> A Summoners Journey the Movie

BecomingThe Movie: The tale of the Journey of a Blue Mage

Comment

Originally posted by Joon View Post
                  MNK/NIN (Hutch)
                  Personally, if I went in with 5 SMNs to babysit me, I wouldn't have felt that I earned it.
                  Yeah, I'm honestly really glad that I was able to defeat Fenrir for the first time with a "standard" PT (BRD/WHM, WHM/BLM, RDM/WHM, MNK/NIN, PLD/WAR, THF/NIN) rather than hiring a bunch of SMNs to do it for me.

I don't have an issue with other people obtaining Fen that way. In fact, I've fought him for many, many, many others using the all-SMN method. SE made it a difficult fight and many people don't feel right about raising SMN without it being "complete" and I respect that. I also respect that a lot of people WANT to be summoners and don't want to take some other job to 75 just so they can do what they really WANT to do.

For myself personally though, I was very happy that I didn't stand back and watch a bunch of people kill him for me and I was actually personally involved in the process.
                  召75|吟75|黒75|赤75|戦72|白60|獣40|忍37| 暗37|シ37|ナ32|侍30|モ30|竜21|青14||か8| 狩7|コ7
                  San D'oria: Rank 10 | Windurst: Rank 10 | Bastok: Rank 10 | Cooking: 97 | Zilart - Completed | CoP - Completed

Comment

Working...
                  X