Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After years of playing SMN this finally happened...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After years of playing SMN this finally happened...

Capped summoning magic skill. Do I get a cookie or something? It was on my birthday too. (Like 15 minutes before midnight CST when I took the picture.)
    Generic Info!

Re: After years of playing SMN this finally happened...

< gives Jenica a Wizard Cookie. Grats and happy birthday. Do you see any difference in the power level of your bloodpacts now vs. say a year ago?

Icemage

Comment

Congratulations Tirrock. Thats awesome. And Happy Birthday too!
      I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

lol congratulations.
        There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
        but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
        transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

It's kind of hard to say if my damage went up. Level 70 blood pact damage varies a lot anyway. Plus I didn't have AF2 body or merits in avatar stuff a year ago. I'm sure if I looked around I could find some screenshots of my damage from a year or two years ago, but they'd most likely be critical hits or something.
          Generic Info!

Comment

Damn, man. Congratulations. Happy birthday, too!

Comment

Happy Birthday and congrats on capping that skill. :D

I've given up on summoning magic skill ups until I'm sure what SE is planning to do with it. (@220 atm on lvl 74)
              I haven't noticed anything in my BPs for it at the moment so I'll leave it to cap and skill up when I feed Carby to the snolls
              Quetzalcoatl Server | WHM 80 | SMN 76 | NIN 75

Comment

Thanks all. '-')b

Yeah, I did the same thing, Shirai. I just stopped trying to skill it up at all. The only time I'd do that avatar summoning spam thing after level 40 was when I was extremely bored. And I ended up stopping that after about 3 summons. I hit 269 by just letting skill-ups happen, and being level 75 SMN for a very long time. (Two years maybe? I honestly don't remember any more.)

My other recent post has some testing of avatars based on summoning magic skill...but so far it's looking to either be randomized or based off of moon phase. I'll put more results up as soon as I can work up the will to fight more cacti. (Which will probably be soon. I have a BLU friend getting up there in levels.)

So, as of yet I see no reason to pull your hair out skilling it up. I don't do noticably more damage than any other level 75 SMN. I might crit more than the ones that don't have the AF2 body...but that's it.
                Last edited by Tirrock; 05-23-2006, 02:27 AM. Reason: Ninja edit!
                Generic Info!

Comment

You defintely should sig that accomplishment
                  All spells obtained!
                  Homam Gear: 2/5

Comment

I might. Gambling away my innocence is only funny for so long. D: I'd have already done it if I felt like it really mattered. >_>a
                    Generic Info!

Comment

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Congrats on capping summoning skill and happy birthday ^^

I stopped intentionally leveling summoning skill somewhere in the 40's. I was originally of the mindset that "oh, sure, I don't know what it does, but I should keep it capped anyway like a good little summoner!" But eventually, capping it became more and more difficult and I finally gave up altogether. Right now I have it at 236 or so, so I'm actually fairly in range of capping it before too much longer lol.

There've been a lot of discussions on the forums here about summoning magic skill, many of which had some tempers flaring about how SMNs should always keep their summoning skill capped in order to be the best player they can be and that failure to do so is "cheating" because others can't see your summoning skill. I try to keep out of discussions where emotions are running that high, but truthfully I thought that was a bunch of horse-doo-doo. How many MNKs really have capped guard skill? How many PLDs have capped club? How many RDMs have capped elemental magic? (OK, I do, but there's a long and stupid story behind that) How many BRDs have capped sword? The list goes on and on... Ultimately, if it's not terribly important to your ability to play your job, I don't see any reason to keep everything capped out of some misguided belief that you're somehow a lesser player if you don't do so.

That said, I still think it's completely awesome that yours finally reached the cap. ^^
                        召75|吟75|黒75|赤75|戦72|白60|獣40|忍37| 暗37|シ37|ナ32|侍30|モ30|竜21|青14||か8| 狩7|コ7
                        San D'oria: Rank 10 | Windurst: Rank 10 | Bastok: Rank 10 | Cooking: 97 | Zilart - Completed | CoP - Completed

Comment

Congratulations. ^^

Sure you don't need to cap everything, but for me, I do it just to have a sense of accomplishment. And just because looking at a list of capped stuff is nice. =)

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Comment

I certainly agree, however capping summoning magic is one of the hardest and boring things to do in this game.
                            You have to do it by yourself, all alone nobody that can help you do it.

Next to that it's summon > release > Summon > release > Summon > you get the point
                            doing that for an hour... ok but the higher you get the slower the skillups come and the easier RSI sneaks into those wrists.
                            Quetzalcoatl Server | WHM 80 | SMN 76 | NIN 75

Comment

Congratulations! Sooner or later, I'll join you up there, for now I'm only at 207 skill.... >_<
                              Kametame
                              Server: Lakshmi

75 BLM | 75 SMN | 37 WHM

Summoning Skill 262/269 (ZOMG! 7 to go!)

w/Equips and Merits 304/269

Comment

Working...
                              X