Scholar and Melee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scholar and Melee?

Could Scholar do a decent job of meleeing with their C+ skill in staff? I do campaign every so often, and all I can do is heal, which gives me only 400 exp or so. Even when I heal over 10,000 points of damage. (Yes, I kept track a few times, and the exp sucks.). Is there a way I can mix in some melee damage to increase my exp potential gain so that I don't get crap exp?

Or, is it not worth while to skill up my staff?

Re: Scholar and Melee?

I skilled up my Staff for Spirit Taker alone (@ 215)...this gives you MP back for the damage dealt to the enemy.

Do you already have this? I'll tell you this much, I'm working on a Magian Moogle Staff w/ Occ. Att. Twice for the ability to solo/keep mp for my SMN. Wouldn't be a terrible idea for SCH either, if you plan to fight once in a blue moon. For most applications it's probably not worth it, but if you like to solo, go ahead^^
    | 90 SMN | 90 BRD | 90 BLM | 90 THF | 90 WAR |

5/5 BST +2
    2/5 WAR +2
    Farsha(85)

Comment

Originally posted by Zoltar View Post
      I skilled up my Staff for Spirit Taker alone (@ 215)...this gives you MP back for the damage dealt to the enemy.

Do you already have this? I'll tell you this much, I'm working on a Magian Moogle Staff w/ Occ. Att. Twice for the ability to solo/keep mp for my SMN. Wouldn't be a terrible idea for SCH either, if you plan to fight once in a blue moon. For most applications it's probably not worth it, but if you like to solo, go ahead^^
      So... I'm guessing that meleeing in Campaign as Sch isnt that great then? I'm trying to figure out how to maximize my exp gain as sch in campaign.

Comment

In terms of campaign you should still be able to hit the mobs with capped C+ at 60+(you'll most likely want sushi pre-70), however SCH gets access to very, very few reasonable pieces of melee and/or haste gear, and their weapon selection is pretty rough as well. You'd possibly be able to do more damage by nuking out your MP pool and then resting, typically I used this and Accession NPC curing when I was leveling SCH, but my campaign XP was always pretty mediocre.
        Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

Originally posted by Callisto View Post
          In terms of campaign you should still be able to hit the mobs with capped C+ at 60+(you'll most likely want sushi pre-70), however SCH gets access to very, very few reasonable pieces of melee and/or haste gear, and their weapon selection is pretty rough as well. You'd possibly be able to do more damage by nuking out your MP pool and then resting, typically I used this and Accession NPC curing when I was leveling SCH, but my campaign XP was always pretty mediocre.
          Eh. Nuking may do some decent damage, and may net me some exp. But I use my MP for mass cures on NPCs. Ascension +Cure III or II, can and I can easily heal for 1k+ HP, but no matter how much I cure for, I can only get a maximum of 400 exp. Thats why I wanted to change up my plan and try to deal some melee damage to boost my exp gain some.

Thanks for the tips though. Any more is appreciated.

Comment

AFAIK, only melee damage gives uncapped rewards. Healing is capped at, as you saw, 400exp. I believe Magical Damage is capped as well, but I may be wrong and it may be that damage in any way is uncapped.

Your best bet is melee, heal as you see fit, enfeeble and nuke, in short do everything you can. No matter how poor your skills are, you are going to have to melee to get the most exp from Campaign. Curing is not rewarded well at all in Campaign, that's why no one does it.
            I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

This is sorta on topic, and sorta off topic.

Last night, I was duoing with a SMN that had spirit taker and he subbed thf so he could SA -> Spirit Taker to keep his MP up. Maybe you can apply that to Campaign to keep your MP up so you can keep the nukes and heals flowing.
              Burning questions are burning: Is jenova_9 really a girl and is she cute? Does she talk like that in real life?

Burning.

This is why I J9: http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/off...otionally.html

http://selenagomez.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ufgt View Post
                This is sorta on topic, and sorta off topic.

Last night, I was duoing with a SMN that had spirit taker and he subbed thf so he could SA -> Spirit Taker to keep his MP up. Maybe you can apply that to Campaign to keep your MP up so you can keep the nukes and heals flowing.

Huh. Never even thought of that TBH. My Spirit Taker usually does between 100-150 at most. How much dmg was he doing with SA -> Spirit Taker? That's a damn good idea! I'm probably years late on it, but still

5/5 BST +2
                2/5 WAR +2
                Farsha(85)

Comment

Originally posted by Zoltar View Post
                  Huh. Never even thought of that TBH. My Spirit Taker usually does between 100-150 at most. How much dmg was he doing with SA -> Spirit Taker? That's a damn good idea! I'm probably years late on it, but still
                  On DC birds at lvl 69, he was getting ~200 dmg every time he SA -> Spirit Taker'd.

I don't know if it's worth losing a caster subjobs' job traits to get SA though. /shrug.
                  Burning questions are burning: Is jenova_9 really a girl and is she cute? Does she talk like that in real life?

Burning.

This is why I J9: http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/off...otionally.html

http://selenagomez.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                    AFAIK, only melee damage gives uncapped rewards. Healing is capped at, as you saw, 400exp. I believe Magical Damage is capped as well, but I may be wrong and it may be that damage in any way is uncapped.

Your best bet is melee, heal as you see fit, enfeeble and nuke, in short do everything you can. No matter how poor your skills are, you are going to have to melee to get the most exp from Campaign. Curing is not rewarded well at all in Campaign, that's why no one does it.
                    I know, and its kinda sucky. They shouldn't cap out healing and nuking damage because it screws over the mages in campaign. If the cap really is that low, then they should increase the cap so that they can get more exp.

Comment

Ya, it sucks, but you have to live with it right now and you do that by raising that Staff skill. Consider it a break in your normal duties and take the chance to do something different.
                      I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                        Ya, it sucks, but you have to live with it right now and you do that by raising that Staff skill. Consider it a break in your normal duties and take the chance to do something different.
                        I do. But I like to heal though as well.

Comment

going SMN/THF would probably help me solo/farm in the Tree...gonna try tonite

5/5 BST +2
                          2/5 WAR +2
                          Farsha(85)

Comment

Having tried it when I needed to recap, let me give you one big suggestion first - make a macro set that doesn't have staff changes in it. Except for NMs, if you're in the right arts, you'll not be resisted very much. Even just autoattacking between casts will drive your exp/battle way up.

Between Aspir, Sublimation, and the occasional Spirit Taker, I never had much problem in the way of MP upkeep. Often I'd find myself with TP and decide to blow an Omniscience (I get more consistent numbers than with Retribution, idky) for for a little extra damage. As long as you've got your skill up, you shouldn't have much problems hitting the normal Midlands campaign mobs. NMs and Northlands mobs? Stand back and blow things up, is my recommendation.

ETA: yes, go for it. Grab the staff and hit things. You may want to invest in some dex/acc gear, just to get a decent hit rate. I...wouldn't bother with haste gear, since SCH gets so little of it (Swift Belt, anything else?) that you don't really see an effect. Throw up an enspell and go to town.

Mythic Pole +1 isn't horrible and is cheap. If you have 100k (or 150k) AN, hie over to Windy and pick up a Samudra. Dream weapons would be Slaine, Danda, or Mekki Shakki, depending on your other gear.
                            Last edited by Kasandaro; 04-07-2010, 10:43 PM. Reason: didn't answer the _ question.
                            WHM75-SCH75-DNC75-THF75
                            To do: Sandy 7-1, ToAU 42, WoG15

Comment

Originally posted by Kasandaro View Post
                              Mythic Pole +1 isn't horrible and is cheap. If you have 100k (or 150k) AN, hie over to Windy and pick up a Samudra. Dream weapons would be Slaine, Danda, or Mekki Shakki, depending on your other gear
                              Thank you. I will be working on my staff skill then, and seeing if I can get a hold of these staves then if possible. I guess I gotta make a second macro set that doesn't swap staves. lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X