• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ItazuraNhomango
    replied
    Re: /RDM needed?

Originally posted by Sabaron View Post
    It would be silly to base my buff's effectiveness on it's target's skill.
    Basing effectiveness at least partially on the target's stats instead of the caster/user's alone may or may not be silly, but wouldn't be unprecedented. Cover's duration is influenced by PLD's MND vs. target's VIT, according to this. (If I'm reading it correctly.) Curing Waltz's potency is apparently determined by the DNC's CHR and the target's VIT, as another example.

Wouldn't surprise me if Accession + en-spell actually uses caster's Enhancing Magic skill and targets' INTs both, or even if it uses caster's INT and targets' Enhancing Magic skill.

However it calculates the damage/accuracy, should this method suck, it certainly wouldn't be the first time S-E gave us a laughable additional damage effect. Not that I'd be terribly concerned about that; it's already cool and powerful enough to have an Erasega or whichever -na needed every four minutes instead of Divine Veil via Divine Seal every 10 minutes (or 8 minute 20 seconds, if fully merited).

Dispel-ga which stripes every blink/copy image, and everything dispel-able. On every critter in range.

*drools*

Dispel is 320 CE and 320 VE. Would Dispel-ga gain enmity based on number of effects erased per monster? Umm... Say, puller brings a WHM type with a THF link with 4 buffs each... That would be 1280 CE + 1280 VE... That's almost like using Provke x 2.8 at the start of the fight. With each monster. Except, half of the enmity won't fade unless the critters wacks the Scholar (quite) a few times.

Itazura the overly zealous SCH/RDM is defeated by the mad Goblin White Mage and his friend, the even madder Goblin Thief.

*dies*

Leave a comment:

• Callisto
    replied

That's what I was hoping, but what I stated was what I had been told by someone leveling SCH. They may very well just be a dingbat though, I was going to test it w/ some friends once one of them hits 40, it should be super easy to do using the AoE JA and RDM's self-cast barspells.

Leave a comment:

• Sabaron
    replied

Originally posted by Callisto View Post
    ...I've heard that the Enspell accuracy would be based on the target's Enhancing Magic skill though, so melees would still see many resists. Haven't seen it done yet, and I don't have enough inventory space to unlock SCH atm.
    It would be silly to base my buff's effectiveness on it's target's skill. For instance, any time I cast Stoneskinga, the amount blocked is based on my targets' Enhancing magic rather than mine, which is clearly untrue. The spells "power" is set when it is cast and attaches to the target with my power fixed upon it. If what you're saying was the case, if I unequipped my Enhancing boost items, my damage would drop immediately, but it does not. The spell is "frozen in time" when cast and the "effect" attaches to the target. Once it is cast, it does not differ from it's original effect parameters.

This is theory of course, but I believe it's solid.

Leave a comment:

• Callisto
    replied

Just some stuff I was playing around with last night, when I was looking at SCH/RDM:

SCH/RDMs Base Enspell damage @ level 75 using Light Arts, 1 merit, Enhancing Torque, and Merciful Cape: 18/hit

My 75 RDM's Base Enspell damage @ level 75 using AF1 Pants, AF2 Gloves, Enhancing Torque, and 1 Merit: 19/hit

I've heard that the Enspell accuracy would be based on the target's Enhancing Magic skill though, so melees would still see many resists. Haven't seen it done yet, and I don't have enough inventory space to unlock SCH atm.

SCH/RDM's Phalanx potency @ 75 w/ same setup as above: 24

My 75 RDM's Phalanx II potency @ 75 w/ 295 skill and Phal 2 merited to level 2: 18

So AoE Phalanx is stronger than my Phal 2 by 33%, and it lasts 30 seconds longer...granted there's the tripled mp cost and double casting time, but damn...

Anyways once I finish off BLU sub I'll get around to unlocking SCH and testing some of this junk out...looks good as a support role job though.

Leave a comment:

• Omgwtfbbqkitten
    replied

Originally posted by Galaxia View Post
    Think for now I'm gonna stick with /WHM and /BLM ^.^
    seems to be what people are wanting.
    Had a good chat with a 70 SCH today!!! meh he lvls too fast and he said he lvl'd RDM for sch and he's never had a pt want /RDM 0.0
    Yes, because all mages and melee know what's best for mage jobs.

I'm curious as to why you ask PTs what subjob you should use rather than looking at the PT line-up and noting the camps/mobs you're going to before deciding yourself.

If you're just gonna go to ToA camps, you're not going to be using much black magic at all. That doesn't mean /BLM or /RDM are subjobs to avoid, though. Phalnax-ga would actually prove useful in Colibri camps, as would Dispel for imps.

If I'm at a camp where mobs don't have status ailments to spam, that automatically puts /WHM down the list and moves /RDM and /BLM up. If they reflect magic, then that's a strike against /BLM. If the camp requires status cures, then /BLM and /RDM aren't going to be so helpful. And that's not even mentioning what other mages might be in your PT, if you have a WHM, you could certainly go /RDM or /BLM and if you have a RDM/BLM, SCH/WHM would be a solid pick.

Learn to observe and adapt by situation rather than be spoonfed your parties needs.

Really, If my COR gets invited to a PT, its the first thing I analyze. Do they need a puller? If no BRD is pulling, I should probably go /NIN and do that myself. Do they need damage more? Then I can go /RNG. Do they need full support with /WHM, /RDM or /BLU?

Try to think situationally rather than slavishly.

Leave a comment:

• Galaxia
    replied

Think for now I'm gonna stick with /WHM and /BLM ^.^
    seems to be what people are wanting.
    Had a good chat with a 70 SCH today!!! meh he lvls too fast and he said he lvl'd RDM for sch and he's never had a pt want /RDM 0.0

Leave a comment:

• Karinya
    replied

Don't forget Dispel (and if you want it, Dispelga) after 64 as one of /RDM's benefits.

I think it will come down to what you expect to mostly do. If you're going to need -nas or frequent aoe heals (more often than Accession can conveniently provide), /WHM. If you're going to nuke a lot, /BLM (MAB and conserve MP for MP-intensive nukes). If you want the most extensive list of spells (particularly enhance and enfeeble) including Dispel, /RDM.

Leave a comment:

• Lmnop
    replied

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
    Polling people on your server or on forums is meaningless unless you can get them to give you better reasons than "it sucks" or "its great."
    This is really great advice for any job. Heeding it would reduce a lot of "sheep syndrome" activity.

Leave a comment:

• Sabaron
    replied

Originally posted by Coinspinner View Post
    ...Do people still use the elemental enfeebles?
    Try Excavation Duty Assault.

Other than that, it is always efficient to use DoT spells when on a longer fight. DoTs have a better hp/mp ratio than burst magic, so if the spell completes, it's very efficient.

Leave a comment:

• Coinspinner
    replied

RDM is a great sub to have 40+. MAB, both sets of enfeebles, Fast Cast, and group Enspell and Phalanx are nice. Before that you can get both Paralyze and Blind, if you want to enfeeble.

Sometimes you need -Na spells or Erase, so then you will use /WHM. Curaga is also better than using Accession with Cure, and you get Divine Seal.

20-40 and 60-75, if all you are gonna be doing is nuking then /BLM is what you want. Also might be useful to have Elemental Seal, Sleepga, Escape, and Tractor. Do people still use the elemental enfeebles?

Leave a comment:

• Sabaron
    replied

At low level, I must say that I'm getting a lot more mileage out of /RDM than either /WHM or /BLM. Until Curaga, /WHM is really quite useless unless you need -na's. Your sub job should always be chosen based on what you are doing, not on personal preference. It would be best to have all three, but my prediction still is that /RDM will end up being the most popular.

Enspellga
    Phalanxga
    Stoneskinga
    Full set of Black and white enfeebles.
    Dia/Bio

I like it a lot more than the other two since they shafted me and took Reraisega from /WHM's arsenal >.<

The only spells /BLM really gives you is EleDoTs and tier I -ga magic which is not particularly useful. Apart from that you get a boost to MAB, but not much better than /RDM, Conserve MP which adds efficiency and Elemental Seal every 10 minutes. Really, it's only good as dedicated nuker.

I guess I prefer versatility. Since, with, /RDM you can also -ga your cures anyway, the only real bonus to /WHM is Divine Seal and -na which are situational.

I can't see anyone who's actually looked at /RDM's arsenal in depth saying that it's a sub to avoid. Perhaps you should have your sources look a little closer.

Leave a comment:

• Galaxia
    replied

Seems a good BLM WHM combo would work.
    But RDM would also be nice to add for the SCH who wants it.

Leave a comment:

• Omgwtfbbqkitten
    replied

Polling people on your server or on forums is meaningless unless you can get them to give you better reasons than "it sucks" or "its great."

/WHM will give you the -na spells and Erase and you wouldn't have to rely on the AoE strategims to do Barspells. Divine seal is nice, too, but not a dealbreaker.

/BLM is /BLM - Magic Attack Bonus, Elemental seal and the BLM DoT spells. You're not getting much more than that here as an exclusive. This is purely for enhancing your DD, which /RDM can also do.

/RDM will give you Phalnax, Dispel, Gravity, Enspells and Fast Cast. There's no JAs here, but that's not a big deal.

All have valid applications, but i'd rate /BLM lower than /RDM in the post-40 SCH levelling.

Leave a comment:

• Galaxia
    replied

I'm gonna be offering WHM or BLM subs cause I really don't like BLM >.< Hated lvlin it lol.
    The guy who said I had to have it said its useless without it but he hasn't got WHM or BLM lvl'd

Girl who said its not needed is a lv 63 SCH and said shes never had a use for it.

Leave a comment:

• Ellipses
    replied

Why don't you ask the people who said to avoid it why they don't like it? Or the person who said SCH is useless without it why he thinks so?

For that matter, if you've got all three leveled, who really gives a shit? If your party wants a specific sub, bring that. If they don't, bring the one you prefer.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X