Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nuking: How much INT vs MAB

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
    Really really really basic relationship is MAB > INT. Common knowledge has it at 2 INT = 1 MAB.
    I don't see that anywhere in the wiki, nor does that make any sense since MAB is a multiplier.

Calculating Magic Damage - FFXIclopedia, the Final Fantasy XI wiki - Characters, items, jobs, and more

Intelligence - FFXIclopedia, the Final Fantasy XI wiki - Characters, items, jobs, and more

Basic rule of thumb is to have just enough INT and focus more on MAB for Tier3 and higher nukes. (Wouldn't even worry about INT inside abyssea, especially with Minikin Monstrosity )

Idea Gear:

sub: Bugard leather strap +1
    head: Estoqueur's Chappel +2
    neck: Lemegeton Medallion +1
    ear: Hecate's Earring
    ear: Novio Earring
    body: Estoqueur's Sayon +2 / Literae Coat (if you get lucky with augments) / Yhel Jacket +1
    hands: Eradico Mitts/ Morrigan's Cuffs
    ring: Icesoul Ring
    ring: Galdr Ring
    back: Ixon's Cape / Hecate's Cape
    waist: Cognition Belt
    legs: Estoqueur's Fuseau +2
    feet: Nebula Pigaches +1 / Auger's Gaiters / Duelist's Boots +1 (no idea how the hell you even get the Nebula atm but they're 20k on bismark apparently)
    Last edited by Malacite; 05-05-2011, 09:42 AM.
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

I just default to elemental skill gear. I figure if the mob isn't high enough level to resist a rdm nuke, the fight probably isn't so serious I should stress about doing 30 more damage.

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
      I don't see that anywhere in the wiki, nor does that make any sense since MAB is a multiplier.

Calculating Magic Damage - FFXIclopedia, the Final Fantasy XI wiki - Characters, items, jobs, and more
      Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
      I did damage numbers for Aero IV with an HQ staff, first assuming a dINT of 0 and again assuming dINTs of 50 and -50. In either case, raw damage-wise 1 point of MAB roughly equals 2 points of INT.

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

When you multiply two things together, they're both multipliers. Since tier III/IV magic has base damage around 400, adding 2x 2 int to it adds roughly the same damage as adding 1% to it.
      Last edited by Taskmage; 05-05-2011, 09:46 AM.
      lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

There is more to the world then just the wiki.

HTTP://tuufless.blogspot.com/2009/08...t-and-mab.html

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

back: Ixion's Cape
        RDM can't equip.
        I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Oh I had the clause in my spellcast from BLM so it was easy enough to copy it to RDM. Having a resist set on BLM was essential for a good handful of NMs. For RDM at 75 it was even more important to keep a resist set since the ele skill is naturally lower (though I had merits for BLM anyway). Though I can't remember at what mobs I used +skill over other pieces. There was a point when I stopped wearing the ele torque and D. Tights for all nukes though, and I can't remember why/when I changed that and for which mobs.

Oh well. I remember that I had it and it was useful, but on Tier III nukes it was pretty negligible on most mobs. I know that the potential for RDM to resist was a lot higher though so I did have the set, I just don't remember how exactly I assigned it. But I guess my old ways are kind of hard to drag into an updated world. :/ I don't really know how squishy these NMs are to magic nowadays and if they really require resist sets. But I was a maxer, so I had absolutely every single piece that may have been necessary for any purpose at any given time to be sure that I was at the absolute possible best. Not everyone wants to carry that much gear or make that much of an effort.

And yeah, people always asked me why I didn't have Ixion cape on my BLM. Because I had Gleeman's and Aslan, both of which I swapped when necessary, and having Ixion to cover both of those bases was a simple inventory -1. Since capes aren't a visual gear swap what difference did it make? Ixion cape was great for people who didn't have RDM.
          sigpic
          ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
          ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
          ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
          ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

A few easy additions to your nuking set:

Originally posted by cidbahamut View Post
            sub: Bugard leather strap +1
            head: Warlock's Chapeau---Teal Chap (you probably don't need the Skill of the AF1 hat)
            neck: Elemental Torque / Uggy pendant when appropriate---Fued Pendant
            ear: Moldavit Earring
            ear: Morion Earring +1
            body: Teal Saio
            hands: Errant Cuffs---Eradico Mitts (These are 100% drop from a Tier2 NM in Aby Attowha)
            ring: Snow Ring
            ring: Snow Ring
            back: Prism Cape---Pedant Cape
            waist: Cognition Belt
            legs: Teal Slops
            feet: Wise Pigaches---Theurgia Clogs (High drop rate from Tier 2 Aby VNM)
            An easy MAB Atma to get is Baying Moon from Lagarhoo. He is popped with one cheap item.
            sigpic

Comment

And wtf no novio? Fail you guys, fail.

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

And my gear sets were so different. Granted I don't recognize some of that gear but man.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Aksannyi View Post
                But I was a maxer, so I had absolutely every single piece that may have been necessary for any purpose at any given time to be sure that I was at the absolute possible best. Not everyone wants to carry that much gear or make that much of an effort.
                80 inventory isn't nearly enough to fit in all the gear I'd want to lug around. Dunno how on earth you'd have everything covered with only 80 pieces.

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

Originally posted by Cotners View Post
                head: Warlock's Chapeau---Teal Chap (you probably don't need the Skill of the AF1 hat)
                I'm probably gonna wait before jumping to Teal Chapeau. I've already got one, but right now my resist rates are such that I'd rather have the boost to accuracy than the extra 3 INT worth of potency for the time being.
                Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
                Name: Drjones
                Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Originally posted by Aksannyi View Post
                  And wtf no novio? Fail you guys, fail.

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

And my gear sets were so different. Granted I don't recognize some of that gear but man.
                  Aquiring a Novio at this point is much more difficult now because very few ppl do sea anymore and even with level caps raised you still need 10+ ppl for JoL.

Edit: Hecate's Earring is better anyway and 100% drop From Rani
                  sigpic

Comment

A lot of pieces overlapped. I never carried melee gear unless I was going out to farm. I had satchel, so some pieces (like obis that weren't the current day) stayed in there until useful. And I only needed to carry rings for one finger at all times because I had Tamas. As RDM, WHM, BLM, and SMN there was absolutely no reason for me to ever get Rajas.

I wish I still had my old spellcast files to remember what gear I had and how it was all set up. But a lot of what I did on RDM didn't require extra shit. After a while, I was able to get rid of that ugly Errant body because I just didn't need it on any of my jobs (even BLM) to cap Stoneskin and I had other hMP pieces. Shit like that. I don't even know how I did it. But I had full elemental sets, full MAB/INT sets, full enfeebling MND set, full enfeebling INT set, full Dark set, full hMP set, idle set, SS set, a fast cast/haste set (which on RDM was kind of not that useful), and probably a few others. I was just very creative with overlapping pieces.

And I was still at 75. The gear choices are probably even harder to deal with now. But at 75, I made everything work within the restraints of my inventory limitations and still managed to max. Tamas ring definitely made a huge difference, lol.

I won't deny I was creative with inventory and I rarely had more than a few spots left over with all of my gear. I kept warp items, RR scrolls, food, all in my satchel and used as necessary. But it's probably different now. I'd probably have a much bigger struggle with gear at 90 than I did at 75.

@Cotners, FAIL for not already having one! lol. I'm teasing. Need 10 for JoL? Will you guys hate me if I said we did it with a dozen at 75? We did have some uh, relics, though. Even with a lesser geared ls you can do it with about 15 people (assuming you have an outside party of BLMs for the adds) it will just take a while. Sad no one farms sea anymore. I loved sea.
                    sigpic

Comment

I don't think she was serious.
                      lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Getting all nostalgic up in this bitch, but no one even does the stuff I enjoyed anymore, so it's just as well there's no character for me to even play if I wanted to. XD
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                          RDM has the same Tier IV spells BLM had and can natively get higher elemental skill then BLM had at 75. With that. the HQ staves (or magian staves) and the elemental grips, RDM should be able to put damage out somewhat comparable to what BLM did unless the mob has higher than average resistance.
                          Ah, I'd forgotten that RDM got access to Blizzard IV after the level cap got raised to 90, and that's going to (often) be your go-to nuke in the absence of any specific weaknesses, if only because of the extra accuracy afforded by Aquilo's Staff. Even so, it still depends on what you're nuking. Nuking a level 90+ enemy as a RDM is still pretty hard to do even halfway consistently no matter what your gear is (unless it has some penalties from Threnody / Ninjutsu /etc. applied, or has a natural elemental weakness of some sort). Nuking a level 80 enemy at level 90 is like shooting fish in a barrel, on the other hand.

Still, as with all things related to nuking, you want to close-to-max accuracy first, then worry about Magic Attack Bonus with whatever's left. The trick is knowing what you're nuking and at what point you stop needing any more Magic Accuracy. Against stuff that rarely resists (because it's lower level than you and/or elementally weak to whatever you're casting), MAB definitely works in your favor more than INT.

Icemage

Comment

They meant that performance-wise (for RDM nukes) not that 2 INT literally nets you an extra point of MAB.

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
                              Ah, I'd forgotten that RDM got access to Blizzard IV after the level cap got raised to 90, and that's going to (often) be your go-to nuke in the absence of any specific weaknesses, if only because of the extra accuracy afforded by Aquilo's Staff.
                              Screw that, forgot to mention that you should really get an Indra's & Varuna's staff for Ice & Lightning nukes. They're twice as powerful as HQ staves for only 10 less m.acc
                              sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Screw that, forgot to mention that you should really get an Indra's & Varuna's staff for Ice & Lightning nukes. They're twice as powerful as HQ staves for only 10 less m.acc
                                Because that's oh so relevant to the discussion of INT and MAB.

Durr...I'm gonna nuke in wands for extra INT guys.
                                Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
                                Name: Drjones
                                Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Working...
                                X