Armor or Spells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armor or Spells

Oik so I am a new player and currently lvl 8, money is VERY tight and I wanted to hear some ideas, what is more important at those early lvls armor ro spells? PS I am a tarutaru.

Re: Armor or Spells

Level more jobs to Level 10 using Field Manual and Signet, and sell the drops you get.

That will solve your gil problem, and you can have both armor and spells.
    Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
    yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
    Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
    leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

What nation? You need to farm or fish.

Around Windurst, the crawlers drop silk, and the bees drop honey and chips. All of those can be sold on the WIndurst AH for money (even in these Jeuno/Whitegate-centric days), or if you have the appropriate crafting skills, you can make them into things that are a bit more profitable (or at least take up less space in your inventory while you're out of town).

Silk threads can make silk cloth, beehive chips can make beeswax can make silent oil, honey can make echo drops.

And be sure to check out the wiki if you haven't yet.

FFXIclopedia, the Final Fantasy XI wiki - Characters, items, jobs, and more
      Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
      99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
      F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
      >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

Grab Signet from the gate guard.
        Grab a stick.
        Wander out of the city and murder everything in sight.
        Repeat until inventory is full.
        Sell stuff on the Auction House.
        Sell stuff to NPC shopkeepers.
        Repeat until gil is plentiful.

Honest to god, that's how everyone starts out.

I'd prioritize spells first. They'll stick with you forever and be useful forever. Armor turns into a revolving door of renting old smelly armor off the Auction House and then returning it a few levels later.
        Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
        Name: Drjones
        Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Answering the actual question: Spells before armor. Gear is spotty for most jobs before 40, so don't sweat it too much.

Do try to keep your gear up-to-date and look for questable options or monsters that drop worthwhile loot, but for the early levels of the game, don't sweat gear too much until you've gotten to 30 at least because most of the gear in the 1-40 range is pretty bland stuff that will do little to enhance your performance.

In the meantime, I would invest in ginger cookies or pies. Cookies will help you regain MP at a greater rate while resting, while a pie will allow you to have a greater amount of MP to draw from for a limited time.

Make use of the tutorial NPCs. In this case, it would be the Cardian by the fountain in Windurst Woods

Comment

@Irfitno- Good idea might just try that :D

@ Elwynn- I am in Windy and ty for the help as well :D

@ Cid- ROFL

Comment

Originally posted by cidbahamut View Post
              Grab Signet from the gate guard.
              Grab a stick.
              Wander out of the city and murder everything in sight.
              Repeat until inventory is full.
              Sell stuff on the Auction House.
              Sell stuff to NPC shopkeepers.
              Repeat until gil is plentiful.

Honest to god, that's how everyone starts out.

I'd prioritize spells first. They'll stick with you forever and be useful forever. Armor turns into a revolving door of renting old smelly armor off the Auction House and then returning it a few levels later.
              You totally summed up my first levels.

Comment

Weapons weren't mentioned at all here, I'll assume you're making a point to keep up with those.

Honestly, unless you're tanking or soloing, armour shouldn't matter a great deal. There are exceptions like that level 29 gear for mages, but other than that don't worry too much yet. It's when you hit the stat boosts that you start worrying about armour.

Comment

Working...
                X