New to RDM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New to RDM

I have no idea, I haven't really gone out of my way to do any of the stuff added last update, was still slogging through Sky trying to make some gil last week. It's very likely from WotG areas if it is obtainable, and I haven't made time to go through WotG quests/missions in months.
    Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

Originally posted by Callisto View Post
      as exping is easily the most boring and redundant part of FFXI to me.
      Would it really be all that redundant and boring if you could have fun while doing it?

Picture this party, Drg/Nin (dual wielding) Whm/Nin (meleeing) Rdm/Nin (meleeing), Blu/Nin (self skill chaining and meleeing of course as well as tossing spells here and there for dmg) a War/Nin (dual wield) and a Brd/something(pulling and buffing)... Everyone was having such a good time the party lasted long enough for me to go Rdm 34-41 and I was logged off by 4pm, Now im a late sleeper and probally dident get the party going until at least noon. I have no clue what the xp per hour was or anything like that. All I know is I had more fun in this party then anything else ive ever done in game.

I think the reason you dislike leveling is because for some reason your stuck on the idea that only level 75 stuff is fun. I just dont see why this is the case. Why in the hell would I play a game where I have to bust my ass for 6 months to actually have fun.... f that... ill go play a game where i can have fun at level 1. ITS A GAME!!!!! If im not having fun I just log off... period.

Now about this party I mentioned, we dident have but maybe 20 minutes of down time the ENTIRE length of the pary combined. We were chain 5 from start to finnish and all added each other to the friends list. There was no tank what so ever (when someones shadows wore someone would spike the mob and pull hate) now granted this probally only worked because 5/6 members were /Nin, but who cares? Everyone did what THEY wanted almost everyone in the party pulled 4-5+ levels (Rdm had a double tap Emp Band so thats where im guessing his extra levels came in). I can honestly say, even in elitest partys I've NEVER gotten that many levels. We never even had to move camps because when the first War/Nin left (our level sync) we picked up another War/Nin and synced him. The War/Nin is the only member that left during the party. While we were waiting for the 2nd War/Nin we synced to the other lowest level (31) and went to town with 5 people bringing in chain 5s non stop tell the new War/Nin got there. I would have easily invited anyone/anything at that pont, we just wanted a lower level sync. Had we had someone under 31 to sync we probally would have just stayed with 5.

Whats so great about 75 that you would rather spend your in game time trying to rush through 1-74 and hateing it? If that day ever comes for me I'll just cancel my account and move on. Last night when I couldent get my gate breach and things went south. I just logged off.

About PLing, its a copout, If you cant get to 75 or whatever level on your own accord you shouldent be playing the job. PERIOD. Any time a PL shows up for ANY of my partys I tell the member they came with that the PL can leave or they can leave and start a PL party. I don't play that way. There is just too damn much to learn about ANY job that all it does is hinder your abilities as a player. If you dont have the means to do it, you shouldent be doing it. PLing is a disease, you think your skipping boring parts and speeding up the "grind" but in reality what your doing is not learning how to play your job to its fullest potential, and just further pushing eliteism onto others. If you want to get to 75 as fast as you can and not know how to play your job, go do somewhere else, because me, I'm not interested. You may laugh but its those times when you have 3 ITs at the camp with all your mages out of MP everyones half dead and sleep wont land. Its THOSE moments where you really learn how to become effective. Its easy to be effective when everyones at full HP the mages all have tons of MP and the sky is blue theres a padded floor to heal on nothing is going wrong, but it dosent teach you jack.

A perfict example of this is the other day in Yhoter Jungle (yea i cant spell any of the zone names in this game auto translater is a godsend) We were killing mandys, well our sync hit 32 and the mandys wernt producing the xp we really wanted any more and there just wernt enough goblins to keep us happy. So I say lets grab the lizzys. Everyone freaks out. the general responce is no way, they are way too hard we will all die, no way we can handle them. Well I hate to say it I start adding lizzys in my pull cycle when im duoing at level 33, 34 tops!. You're honestly trying to tell me that something 2 people can kill and chain 5 with at level 34 a group of 6 cant pull it off? Sounds like they need to go learn their job.

If you spent more time playing your char as apposed to PLing, youd probally be a better player. And no, I'm not saying that anyone who PLs is bad at their job. What im saying is that if that same exact person would have spent the time playing that job without PLing through a portion of it, that person would be a MUCH better player. You just cant learn everything from having a 75 WHM cureIVing everyone and tanking the mob. It just dosent work that way in real situations.

Please dont misunderstand what I'm saying. I just wanted to provide *MY OPINION* on the subject. Obviously I'm a big supporter for play how you have fun. Just like you said you expect people to knuckle down and ubergrind out the 1-74. I expect people to give me their all and keep swinging until they or their enemy is dead. I have a saying, "Stop running, you'll only die tired". My expectation of my group is, have fun, give it your all, and keep fighting, be it by casting spells or swinging and axe. Otherwise "gtfo" as you all like to say. One thing I can tell you though, Ive only had about 3% of my parties not be able to come close to what a elitest party can do. And I'll tell you what. I'd trade an elitest whm with 500 mp at level 30 (my tarutaru has 400+ easy at that level) for a whm that has 300 mp is subbing mnk but will give everything he has to the party. If you have ever heard the old saying "a happy worker is a productive worker" it holds true to more then just work. Once you stop enjoying what your doing, your output is never as good as someone who loves what their doing, no matter what you do. Now dont go trying to say yea well if T.O. hated football he would still do better then Billy Bob down the street even though he LOVES playing football more then anything. Thats like saying a level 73 whm dosent have a problem keeping x party cured but this other guy who loves whm cant (when the other guys level 27). There are obvious limitations. But I'd put a paycheck on the guy that loves the game could do more with the same char then the guy who is just leveling the job because he needs it for X reason.

Again this was not an attempt to knock anyones play style or ideas. This is MY OPINION and only that. It may be wrong in others eyes, but in my eyes this is indisputable fact.

The Facts

P.S Callisto, Ive read a lot of your posts and found almost all of the ones I've read useful. I honestly believe you are a very competent player. So whatever you do please don't think I am knocking you, your skills, or your ideals in any way.
      Last edited by Dyft; 12-15-2008, 01:49 PM. Reason: added P.S.

Comment

Originally posted by Dyft View Post
        Would it really be all that redundant and boring if you could have fun while doing it?

Picture this party, Drg/Nin (dual wielding)

75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
        RANK 10 Bastok
        CoP: Done
        ZM: Done
        ToA: Done
        Assault rank: Captain
        Campaign Medal: Medals
        Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
        This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Mezlo View Post
          Exactly my point...... everyone else woulda laughed at the party... but it was one of the best ones ive ever been in... if not THE best....

Comment

Would it really be all that redundant and boring if you could have fun while doing it?.
            Nope, when it's fun it takes the tediousness out of it. It's a whole lot more fun in a fast, efficient party.
            I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Obviously I'm a big supporter for play how you have fun.
              But the HUGE GLARING POINT that you are missing is, to some people a well oiled efficient party IS FUN! They are playing to have fun, so how about a little support and understanding for the other side too?
              Originally posted by Feba
              But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
              Originally posted by Taskmage
              God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
              Originally posted by DakAttack
              ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                But the HUGE GLARING POINT that you are missing is, to some people a well oiled efficient party IS FUN! They are playing to have fun, so how about a little support and understanding for the other side too?
                Because no matter how else you look at it, it's a chore. DAMN TP BURNS MAKING US RED MAGES HATERS!

Dammit, I need to make a RDM/NIN+DRG/BLU+3xPiercingDD+BRD/NIN party again one of these days and just slaughter piercing-weak stuff.

Comment

RDMs complain about having to main heal on PTs killing colibri, but what do the wish to kill?

Colibri - the other Boreal Hound Meat.

Fun PTs to me are in places without Colibri. Most fun PTs I've had was Castle Oztroja (S). To me, actual danger is what makes things fun. Sure, its full of birds, but they're people, too.

Comment

Danger makes for a lot more fun than one of those PT's where nobody gets into the yellow most mobs and its just a 6-person Cuisine-art.

Give me a near-wipe every now and again to remind us that we are fighting mobs many, many levels above us.

OK, riddle me this - Why did I have to put the hyphen in cusineart?(had to add the "e" to keep it from xxxing out again) the system kept xxx'ing out the middle of the word

xxxxr is a bad word but fuck is not? Shit head is ok, but xxxx is so horrible that it gets xxxx'ed out?
                    Last edited by The Mauva Syndicate; 12-16-2008, 10:56 AM. Reason: hmmmm
                    sigpic

(\ /)
                    ( . . )
                    C(")(")
                    ...Somebunny loves you....

...That's "Little Washu", Bub....

Comment

LOL, find away to type what keeps getting crossed out, i'm intrigued... fart?

edit. nope, not fart, lol...
                      75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
                      RANK 10 Bastok
                      CoP: Done
                      ZM: Done
                      ToA: Done
                      Assault rank: Captain
                      Campaign Medal: Medals
                      Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
                      This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Comment

I agree BBQ people seem to forget there are dozens of camps (well hundreds if you sync i guess). But unfpurtunately not many people want to party outside of loltoau zones. It gets immensley boring in a 2 hour party full of /nin or /sam.

I personally only used those camps when I felt like meleeing, when I felt like casting I would take a collection of the other 12 forgotten jobs out to the remote regions of vana'diel with un cluttered camps and pull in 12-15k/hr and have a blast.

I think for me and probably most RDM's the lack of use of the most of our tools in ToAU zones insults us. Give me some VT-IT mobs at the moon gate or some T-VT mobs in bibiki and ill be a happy caster.

sig courtesy tgm
                        retired -08

Comment

S
                          I
                          N
                          A

xxxx WTF? How is that bad?
                          sigpic

(\ /)
                          ( . . )
                          C(")(")
                          ...Somebunny loves you....

...That's "Little Washu", Bub....

Comment

Might be an expletive in one of the other languages that the game supports.

Picture this party, Drg/Nin (dual wielding) Whm/Nin (meleeing) Rdm/Nin (meleeing), Blu/Nin (self skill chaining and meleeing of course as well as tossing spells here and there for dmg) a War/Nin (dual wield) and a Brd/something(pulling and buffing)... Everyone was having such a good time the party lasted long enough for me to go Rdm 34-41 and I was logged off by 4pm, Now im a late sleeper and probally dident get the party going until at least noon. I have no clue what the xp per hour was or anything like that. All I know is I had more fun in this party then anything else ive ever done in game.
                            Like Mhurron noted, it's different ideas of fun. When I look at that setup, all I see is a DRG and RDM that could be doing much more damage with another subjob, and a WHM missing out on valuable MP and job abilities. I didn't neccesarily mean that I don't like XP and that I don't expect it to be fun, it's just that my concept of fun is a party that is a well-oiled machine, one where the tank keeps hate, the DDs maintain high hit rates and crank out big WS', and the mages pay attention and cast the right spells at the right times. A high amount of xp/hour is just a residual effect of that.

Whats so great about 75 that you would rather spend your in game time trying to rush through 1-74 and hateing it?
                            It's the content that I miss out on that I'm accustomed to. When all you've really done are some missions/quests and leveled a few jobs to mid levels, that's what you know, that's what's fun to you. To me fighting giant dragons and beasts, taking on hordes of difficult mobs, and soloing things that are far more difficult than what one person should be able to kill alone are what I consider fun.

Granted S-E has done a great job recently of adding in content that is friendlier for lower levels, as for a while there almost all 'good' new content was end-game oriented, but after several years(especially after having been a leader in several endgame shells) your perspective changes. What's efficient is good, and what's good is fun. Something less is just time I could have spent doing something else.
                            Last edited by Callisto; 12-18-2008, 08:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                            Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

Working...
                            X