Soloing Merits on RDM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soloing Merits on RDM

Ok, so blue mages have been soloing chain 5's on Heraldic Imps for quite some time now, BLM's on Wamoura and Puddings in Mt. Z, and various other jobs on EM-T mobs, but I'd never heard of any RDM's soloing chain 5's. Especially melee RDM's. Typically, RDM is seen as being weak in melee output, high in survivability, and just kills stuff too slowly to be able to solo any reasonable exp/hr. That, or it's just so easy to join merit parties on RDM that there's little reason to try soloing for merits I guess.

Anyway, I thought I'd have a little fun and melee it up on my RDM/NIN in the Mire since it seems to be empty often these days on Cerberus. I was very impressed with the results, managing to make chain 5's fairly often with practically zero downtime. Without exp ring, I was getting very close to 9k/hr.

Certainly, 9k/hr is nothing compared to a good merit party, but I was having a lot more fun than the endless cycle of Haste/Refresh/Dia/Cure that merit parties usually consist of.

Here's a couple pics I took:

And a quick video I threw on YouTube: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0UDVP5SOWc]RDM/NIN Limit Chain 5 Solo[/ame]
    Last edited by Seijurohiko; 10-02-2008, 09:19 PM. Reason: video link
    RDM 75
    Cerberus
    http://www.youtube.com/user/securitron1234

Re: Soloing Merits on RDM

Nice! Good work dude!

Could you elaborate more on your strategy though, and which merit spells you are using? The video is sped up and it's hard to follow everything you do (I can only really tell that you are using para, silence and some form of Dia for enfeebs) and also, I wonder if Death Blossom would be better than evisceration?

What are you off-handing btw, Hornet Needle? Even with a Suppa, I can't help but think it would be better to use a shield anyway and let Joyeuse proc more.
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

RDMs would want to main hand a good dagger for Eviceration, usually, offhanding Joyeuse. While DWing Joytoy increases Delay, its a viable option, I just point out that fact a lot for RDMs who like to epeen thier damage output in parties and who also happen to gloss over the amount of spells they'd have to cast, directly impacting thier DoT.

At any rate, impressive video. Horrible music, but good show otherwise.

Comment

Gear setups please =)

(or was it already posted in the screenshots? I'm at work and all images are disabled, same with Flash)
        [LadyKiKi]
        Soloed to 75

[DRG | BST | PLD | NIN | RDM | THF | DRK | WHM | SAM]

all done via BST sub where applicable (no DRG/BST!)
        .:|The Prototype BST|:.
        Xtreme Precision Soloing [XPS]

Comment

My guess on the off hand would be a Blau Dolch. It's a good damage dagger that makes up for the delay with its relatively high base damage (which does good things for Evisceration, too).

9k/hr is a good clip. I'm not sure that spending that same time Campaigning isn't a more efficient use of time (even if it doesn't earn as much XP, it kills 2 birds with one stone), but if that's what turns your crank - you're solo, do whatever you want.

Icemage

Comment

The basic strategy isn't anything too advanced. Pulling with Silence, then Slow II, then Dia II, then Paralyze 1, and just mashing away.

Sorry, I didn't get around to posting gear setups.

For TPing I was using:

Blau Dolch
            Joyeuse
            Tiphia Sting
            Walahra Turban
            Chivalrous Chain
            Brutal Earring
            Suppanomimi
            Assault Jerkin
            Dusk Gloves
            Woodsman Ring x2
            Amemet Mantle +1
            Nashira Seraweels
            Dusk Ledelsens
            Life Belt

WS swaps (my ws set is pretty weak)

Same as above except
            Ogre Mask
            Tarasque Mitts
            Vendor's Slops
            Warwolf Belt

Combat merits were 5x Sword, 5x Dagger, 2x Crit.
            RDM 75
            Cerberus
            http://www.youtube.com/user/securitron1234

Comment

This is very impressive ^^b
              Server: Quetzalcoatl
              Race: Hume Rank 7
              75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

You forgot to mention the advantage of getting ALL the drops as well...
                Current Server: Asura
                Current Home Nation: Bastok (Rank 10)
                Race/Sex: Elvaan/Male
                Main Job: 75 DRK / 37 SAM,RDM,NIN,WAR,WHM
                Main Craft: 73 Cloth

(Read this at a normal pace...)
                Tihs Msseage Connat Be Raed By Nromal Huamn Biegns. Pelsae Ntoify Yuor Firedns Taht If Tehy Can Raed Tihs, Taht Tehy Aenr't Namrol...Cnovrresly, Atmpetnig To Raed Tihs Msasege At Nmaorl Pcae And Bineg Albe To, Cna't be Namrol Etiehr...If Yor'ue Albe To Raed Tihs, Tehn Mybae Yur'oe Not Nrmaol.

Comment

Here's how I do it...

TP: +36 acc, +37 attack, +10 STR/+8 DEX, +crit rate, DA, 14% (20% max) haste, enhanced DW, +5 sword skill

Blau Dolch
                  Joyeuse
                  Tiphia Sting
                  Walahra Turban
                  Chivalrous Chain
                  Brutal Earring ---> soon to use Hollow instead
                  Suppanomimi
                  Pln. Khazagand (Goliard Saio if I don't need acc)
                  Dusk Gloves
                  Iota/Rajas (pop on fencer's when hp low enough)
                  Amemet Mantle +1
                  Volunteer's Brais (Nashira if I don't need acc)
                  Dusk Ledelsens
                  Swift Belt

WS: (my ws set is also pretty weak) acc +31, DEX +23, attack +56, STR +12, DA, enhanced WS damage/acc, +crit rate

Same as above except
                  Pln Qalansuwa (or Voyager Sallet if my acc is good)
                  Warlock's Gloves +1
                  Warwolf Belt
                  Duelist's Tights
                  Brutal/Merman's (Minuet Earring if I'm in a pt with buffs)
                  Ogre Ledelsens +1
                  Soil Gorget

Combat merits are 8x Sword, 4x Dagger, 4x Crit. I tend to spam Bream sushi on xp level targets for more acc/Dex. My enspells do 20.
                  Madrone Hume Female Leviathan Server
                  75: RDM MNK BLM PLD BRD subs: NIN WAR DRK BLU WHM SCH DNC RNG
                  AF+1 16/25, AF2 9/25, Nashira 1/5, Crimson 3/5, Pln 2/5, Yigit 5/5, Zenith 3/5, Shura 3/5, Askar 1/5, Goliard 2/5, Homam 2/5
                  Merits 384/506, Bastok rank 10, Merc rank 10

Comment

Would Heart Snatcher be a good alternative in this scenario or no? RDM only has a B I think in dagger so the extra base dmg and attack&accuracy help, but I have personally found that when WS that dagger makes Evisceration much more consistent.

And again, there's Death Blossom out now which is a fairly decent sword WS which could allow you to forgo DW and Brutal in favor of say that MAB shield and a hallow earring (I'd still use suppa for the 5 sword skill)

It's sad but RDM doesn't have much access to haste gear does it? I know you can use Turban, Swift/Speed/Velocious belts, and Dusk Gloves and I think that's it? (not counting wyvern earring...) I'm curious how /PLD might work in this scenario with an ethereal earring.
                    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                      Would Heart Snatcher be a good alternative in this scenario or no? RDM only has a B I think in dagger so the extra base dmg and attack&accuracy help, but I have personally found that when WS that dagger makes Evisceration much more consistent.

And again, there's Death Blossom out now which is a fairly decent sword WS which could allow you to forgo DW and Brutal in favor of say that MAB shield and a hallow earring (I'd still use suppa for the 5 sword skill)

It's sad but RDM doesn't have much access to haste gear does it? I know you can use Turban, Swift/Speed/Velocious belts, and Dusk Gloves and I think that's it? (not counting wyvern earring...) I'm curious how /PLD might work in this scenario with an ethereal earring.
                      Heart Snatcher not possible to equip for RDM
                      [LadyKiKi]
                      Soloed to 75

[DRG | BST | PLD | NIN | RDM | THF | DRK | WHM | SAM]

all done via BST sub where applicable (no DRG/BST!)
                      .:|The Prototype BST|:.
                      Xtreme Precision Soloing [XPS]

Comment

RDM can cap haste with gear. That doesn't mean its a good idea to do so, because of what you'd give up in those slots. I use my 20% build in campaign because the mobs aren't evasive, but I have to trim it down for most xp mobs because I'd be giving up 16 acc for 6% haste in body/legs.

Goliard Saio 4%
                        Belts 4-6%
                        Ring 1%
                        Sentinel Shield 1%
                        Dusk Hands 3-4%
                        Dusk Feet 2-3%
                        W. Turban 5%
                        Nashira set 1-3% each

Heartsnatcher is fairly weak and slow for a dagger, and not for RDM. Death Blossom is not as good as Evisceration most of the time, also imps are weak to piercing, boosting Evisceration's lead even more. Enspells are not as good as usual on imps because of their magic resistance, but still worth using of course. I'm sure a heavy defense build/subjob can also do this, it just would kill slower and probably not chain as well. Besides, blinking single target dots/sleeps/nukes will save a lot of hassle.
                        Madrone Hume Female Leviathan Server
                        75: RDM MNK BLM PLD BRD subs: NIN WAR DRK BLU WHM SCH DNC RNG
                        AF+1 16/25, AF2 9/25, Nashira 1/5, Crimson 3/5, Pln 2/5, Yigit 5/5, Zenith 3/5, Shura 3/5, Askar 1/5, Goliard 2/5, Homam 2/5
                        Merits 384/506, Bastok rank 10, Merc rank 10

Comment

This always seems like a decent idea til I remember that I have a Thanatos Baselard and cringe at using that. At any rate it's a nice way to get some XP/IS, I'll have to try it soon once I replenish my AN stock(been doing campaign for that as much as for buffer).
                          Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

Very Impressive! Soloing imps on BLU for me is something I'm lucky to pull off, and now I'm wanting to try this in the near future. Bookmarking this thread.

Comment

Nice. ^^
                              Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Windurst-Tarutaru-Ragnarok

Windurst: ★Rank 10★ | San d'Oria: ★Rank 10★ | Bastok: ★Rank 10★
                              Zilart: ★The Last Verse★ | Promathia: ★The Last Verse★
                              Aht Urhgan: ★Eternal Mercenary★| Assault: ★Captain★
                              Goddess: Fate In Haze | Campaign: Moonlight Medal
                              Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Comment

Working...
                              X